1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George W Bush's election win certified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 6, 2005.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A great day for the American people who have elected George W Bush to be our President again. Despite the shameful last ditch swings and misses by some extreme liberals in congress, Bush has been certified as President. Excellent news for our great country!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143510,00.html

President Certified After Objection Delay
    Thursday, January 06, 2005

WASHINGTON — A joint session of Congress resumed meeting Thursday evening and quickly finalized certification of President Bush's (search) 286 Electoral College votes to Democrat John Kerry's (search) 251. A candidate needs 270 votes to win the presidential election.

Kerry running mate John Edwards received one Electoral vote.

The certification was delayed for several hours after Sen. Barbara Boxer (search), D-Calif., and Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (search), D-Ohio, stopped the formal declaration of Bush's second term to protest voting irregularities.

The joint session had met earlier in the day but quickly recessed per congressional rules to go to their respective chambers to debate certification. The Senate voted 74-1 and the House 267-31 to reject an objection to the certification of Ohio's 20 Electoral College votes.

"I raise this objection neither to put the nation in a turmoil of proposed overturn election," Jones said in the House after stopping the count. "I raised this objection because I am convinced that we as a body must conduct a formal" debate and "protect the integrity of the true will of the people."

Boxer said on the floor of the Senate that she joined with Jones to "shed some light" about the issues of reported voting irregularities in Ohio as well as election reform throughout the nation.

The California Democrat said that even though the last Congress passed the Help America Vote Act (search), lawmakers had not done enough to examine voting problems.

Boxer said, "The centerpiece of this country is democracy and the centerpiece of democracy is ensuring the right to vote."

"Our people are dying all over the world ... to bring democracy to the far corners of the world," she said. "Let's fix it here."

Twenty-five senators and 136 representatives did not vote on Thursday's action, the first of its kind in 36 years.

The debates lasted two hours and the vote took additional time, but ultimately the results only managed to delay the inevitable. No other objections were expected and Congress was expected to wrap up certification quickly.

Boxer decided late Wednesday that she would challenge the results of Ohio's Electoral College votes for Bush. She sent a letter to Jones saying she was "moved" by Jones' concerns about reported election irregularities in the decisive swing state.

"I have concluded that objecting to the electoral votes from Ohio is the only immediate way to bring these issues to light by allowing you to have a two-hour debate to let the American people know the facts surrounding Ohio's election," Boxer said in the letter.

Earlier on Thursday, Boxer and Jones held a news conference and acknowledged they are not expecting to overturn the November election results. But they stressed the need to have a debate on voting irregularities, which they suggested would not happen if it weren't for this formal challenge. Boxer characterized the objection as "the first round in the battle for electoral justice."

Boxer also said she regrets that she didn't object to the certification four years ago when the controversial election put Bush over Al Gore.

"Yes, I think there are people who wish we didn't do it, but we're doing it for the right reasons," she said, adding that she was also going to introduce with her House colleagues legislation to standardize elections nationally.

Jones added that she couldn't let the election go without assuring democracy applies to everyone in the United States.

"I can't let it go because there are people in my congressional district, there are people in this country who said, 'Stephanie, I did not get my vote counted. My vote did not count. I was denied the opportunity to vote.'"

Vice President Dick Cheney (search) led the effort to read off electoral votes won by both Bush and Massachusetts senator Kerry.

The "certificates of vote" from each state were called out and the number of votes designated for president and vice president were reported on four separate paper tallies.

At the end of the reading of all 50 states and the District of Columbia's votes, the four tellers responsible for recording the tallies were expected to compare results and sign off on them. Cheney then is supposed to announce the totals and order them into the record. Afterward, the House and Senate adjourned until after the president's inauguration on Jan. 20.

This is not the first objection to certification for President Bush. In 2001, more than two-dozen Democrats objected to the certification of Florida's disputed election, but because no senator objected, as is required to trigger a recess of the joint session, the objection was ignored.

Republicans from Ohio were not pleased by the Democrats' objection. Rep. Deborah Pryce, R-Ohio, called the challenge an effort by "certain extreme elements of Senator Kerry's own party" to mock an election that Kerry himself conceded.

"Their intention in this whole process is merely … to undermine public confidence in the electoral system itself," Pryce said. Challenges are "no more than another exercise in their party's primary goal to obstruct, to divide and destroy."

Sen. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio, said charges made about Ohio’s election are “wild, incoherent and completely unsubstantiated. He delivered a statement on the Senate floor saying he found it "almost impossible to believe" that the Senate was debating the matter when the official results showed that Bush won his state with more 118,000 votes.

Added House Majority Whip Roy Blunt of Missouri: "Every time we doubt the process, we cast doubt on that fabric of democracy that's so important ... people do need to have confidence that the process works."

Boxer and several other senators had been approached by House Democrats to launch the corresponding objection from the Senate that would force the recess of the joint session.

According to informed sources, House Democrats also approached newly-elected Illinois Sen. Barack Obama (search) to join the objection. He declined.

In his first speech on the Senate floor, Obama said that while he is "absolutely convinced" Bush won the election he recognized the importance of debating the certification.

"We have an obligation to fix the problems" of voting in the United States, he said.

Kerry, who lost the election to Bush and is currently overseas, said in a letter sent to supporters Wednesday he would not take part in a formal protest of the Ohio Electors because, despite widespread reports of voting irregularities, his legal team had "found no evidence that would change the outcome of the election."

Kerry said he planned to introduce election-reform legislation and push for congressional hearings on the voting irregularities.

Asked about the political wisdom of deciding to join House members in contesting the results, an aide to Boxer told FOX News, "These are credible folks in the House who say there are real problems out there. They need to shine the light on this. So they made an appeal to the senator for the right to shine the light on it.

"There are folks who think this is a not a fruitful exercise, because even [if] the results are challenged, it still may not change the outcome," the aide added, "but for two hours, this might at least be worth discussing."

2. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Nice to finally have it go through after this little delay. The American people have spoken, 4 more years.

[​IMG]

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Oh boy! This great news gives me so much more confidence in our divine George W.Bush, who certainly knows how to handle the Iraq war, the economy, and everything else he's already destroyed!:rolleyes:

Cod

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I heard we landed on the moon, too.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

"We love the leader."

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A great rally was held here in SF for Boxer. She did the right thing, which of course is being misrepresented by the forces of suppression.

She did NOT dispute the election results, but stood up for the what America deserves: scrutiny of a ****ed-up voting mechanism. This time, thousands and thousands of mistaken vote tallies did not matter, but how about next time?

Rove disciples, I hope you see that a (gasp!) liberal could get the wrong vote counts next time. (Or perhaps you know something we don't).

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Advancing a wild conspiracy theory and attempting to undermine confidence in our electoral system is "doing the right thing"? Please, her own party wouldn't stand behind her in her latest act of radical behavior. Even John Forbes Kerry wouldn't go along with Boxer on this issue. What does that tell you?

10. B-Bob

(yawn). Wild conspiracy theory? Don't you ever at least yearn for new cliches? Do Rove's emails not offer even the occasional inspiration for new diction?

We deserve a voting system that is as good as other so-called developed nations. We don't have it. Several international bodies have deemed it so. Unless you think having thousands of votes counted for one candidate in a county with only hundreds of voters is evidence of sophistication. The factual examples are incredibly numerous and very disappointing for any citizen who favors democratic process over over a particular result.

So, if wanting the best voting system for the world's leading democracy is a radical notion, heaven help us all. Folks, the only *partisan* work here is people like Jorge and other disciples thinking that winning is everything, that you hush up voting reform as long as your guy won.

Again, Boxer did not dispute the results. It has nothing to do with Bush and everything to do with a shabby system.

Does anyone else find it ironic that with increasing frequency anyone who says "Americans deserve better" is called a lunatic (and often "anti-American")?

No wonder I don't come around here very often anymore. Blech.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, before you leave, you REALLY need to check out this thread.

Trust me on this one...

12. B-Bob

ima, I have thought this at least 1,000 times: you are too good to me.

That thread has made my day, and it reminds me of that Icy Hot Stuntaz type glee.

Thank you!

13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

B-Bob, is *now* the time for Boxer to be complaining about perceived flaws in the voting process? Seems to me that she had 4 years to do it after 2000. It's sour grapes, plain and simple. The fact of the matter is that the Democratic Party abandoned Boxer on this issue. What does that tell you? John Forbes Kerry didn't even take up the cause. What does that tell you?

Boxer, as a legislator, had ample time to push this cause prior to the election. Doing so now is ridiculous and frankly misguided. Kerry would have lost any way you slice it. Her attempting to obstruct the certification process is just a publicity stunt aimed at undermining confidence in our electoral process.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't just sprung up now, and has been going on for the last four years. People raised concerns all through out the last four years.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Jorge:

You coming to the dart game tonight? Or did you already win it?

16. B-Bob

Well, actually, Boxer abandoned nearly all politicians on this issue. What that tells me is most people are afraid of the expected "sour grapes" chant... too afraid to do the right thing.

Whatever -- we disagree for the 4,977th time (but who's counting).

It is probably a bad political move on her part (which is why people like Kerry would never do such a thing), but only the most shallow of intellects would claim we have no work to do with our voting system. I hope we can improve it, for the good of all parties, persuasions, and citizens. It's simple really.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If we had a national ID card with a magnetic strip (like on credit cards and driver's licenses) we should be able to have voting machines that operate like a credit card or ATM machine and would make it very easy to track who is voting.

18. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Barbara Boxer attempting to obstruct W's certification is tantamount to Bob Stoops trying to obstruct the crowning of USC as BCS champions because an official botched an offsides call early in the game. Obviously the refereeing system is flawed and someone should stand up and oppose it! USC should be denied the championship! If the best refereeing system for the worlds best college football league is a radical notion, HEAVEN HELP US ALL.

SOUR GRAPES

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

This "will of the people" notion would open a can of worms...

http://www.nrlc.org/Post/OSteen110404.html

Highlight:

The poll also re-affirmed that the vast majority of Americans oppose the current policy mandated by Roe v. Wade which allows abortion for any reason, even as a method of birth control, until “viability,” and for mental “health” even after viability. Respondents were asked “which one of the following statements most closely describes your personal position on the issue of abortion?”

Total Pro-Life: 55%

Abortion should never be legal -- 10%

Abortion should be legal only for the mother’s life – 16%

Abortion should be legal only for life, rape, incest – 29%

Total Pro-Choice: 40%

Abortion should be legal for any reason during first 3 months – 25%

Abortion should be legal for any reason during first 6 months – 6%

Abortion should always be legal – 9%

DK/refused: 5%