1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the best team player in the league?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PinetreeFM60, Jun 20, 2001.

1. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

I have to go with Rick Fox.

I hoped the Rockets would get him when he left Boston, but he went to lala land, saying he wanted to win a championship.

He plays so hard, doing anything and everything necessary. No ego. No greed.

Just a hard working, hard playing guy, who does whatever it takes.

------------------
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you.

2. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Best team player?

Tracy McGrady

------------------
    ***FRANCHISE***

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

as much as I hate to say it: Shaq

That team was falling apart, and he stuck to his team play beliefs and his coach, and got the defending World Champs back on track, despite the mid-season immaturity of Kobe.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jason Kidd.

------------------

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Hmmm, interesting question. We first must define team player. In my definition, it means the guy that does whatever it takes to win, while still keeping his teammates involved, makes good decisions, and keeps morale high, plays within the system.

My bias and utter hatred won't let me nominate Shaq (heypartner, you are a better man than me).

Stockton comes to mind for me.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I think Stockton as well because he could score at will. The guy can flat out shoot and he knows how to score, but he never does. He passes and gets everyone involved. Then again, what have they ever won....

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

7. Justin

Justin Member

The best team player I think is Tim Hardaway since he isnt selfish. He is the heart of ther heat since Zo was gone.

------------------

8. Steve_Francis_rules

Shaq is as much to blame for the team's midseason problems as Kobe. It takes two to feud.

When I think of the best team players, Brian Grant quickly comes to mind. Also Steve Nash, Robert Horry, Ervin Johnson.

------------------

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

He was hurt this year but I would vote for Grant Hill. He rebounds, gets his assists, plays point-forward, & will play D.
    Second to him would be Jason Kidd. Kidd makes his teammates happy by givbing them great passes, rebounds, plays D, and showed later this year that he can shoot as well, although he is not a great shooter all of the time.

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Lamar Odom

------------------
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.-
    Albert Einstein

11. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Robert Horry?!

I love him but even he admits that he doesn't give all of his effort until the playoffs.

I have problems with Fox, going back to last year when he decided he needed to be an enforcer. The guys was flat out trying to hurt people. He was trying to start fights and all that. He claimed that he did it because the Lakers (NBCs pet team) were not getting the respect that they deserved.

Otis Thorpe and Mario Elie were the perfect non-star blue-collar team players, right up to the point to when they became cancers to the team.

Mutombo is an excellent team player.

Steve Francis sometimes is too much of a team player.

But one of the ultimate team players would definetly have to be Chucky Brown. The guy is effective. He's just happy to be on a team. He knows he's not going to become a star. He's pround of what he is and what he can offer. He keeps a level head and a positive outlook. Plus he has a great attitude.

------------------

12. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Good answers, except maybe Tim Hardaway. He jacks up those threes at the wrong time.

I guess I was thinking about guys who do not have marquee status. Blue collar players.

Interesting thing about Stockton. It took him five or six years in the league to hit above 33% of his three pointers. Players do not get as much leeway in development as they used to. Now he is the silent assassin, although I still hate his wretched soul.

------------------
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Rick Fox????????

The Soul Glo poster boy, who is banging Vanessa freakin' Williams????????

------------------
    "We make more, but we spend more."
    Patrick Ewing

14. Milos

Milos Member

Shane Battier...as soon as he gets drafted.

------------------

15. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Steve Francis
    If he wanted to he could be like Iverson and shoot whenever but he wants to get his teammates involved. Sometimes he over does this.

------------------
    Stevierebel

16. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

17. KD

KD Member

Francis is definitely one of them.

Let's forget about the number of assists. Francis tries harder than anyone else not to be labeled as a selfish b*stard because of the Vancouver thing; sometimes too hard in fact.

------------------

18. JAG

JAG Member

All things considered, I'd have to say that the best team player in the NBA is David Robinson...Not a huge fan, but have you ever seen an established superstar take a secondary role with so much grace, regardless of how merited, for the betterment of the team?

------------------

19. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since we haven't really defined "Team Player", I'm making my selection on the basis of Top 50 offensive stats combined with #46 in assists for 48 minutes (the vast majority of the other assist leaders were guards).

Good cases could be made for Odom, Franchise, & DRob, but my pick is Kevin Garnett.

------------------
    Raef to Rock in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited June 24, 2001).]