1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]: Woody Williams, Padres agree to 1 yr offer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tierre_brown, Dec 8, 2004.

1. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1942134

I thought we were going to make a run for this guy? Nice veteran starter, puts up solid, if not spectacular numbers...A good #3-4 guy to make trading Wade a lil more palatable?

I guess the dollar figure was too high, but would have been nice...

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

he's pretty much close to done... and we've shalacked him enough the last few years to help speed up the process (except for game 5, which we were destined to win anyways, so his "smoke and mirrors" performance won't be remembered)

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Exactly, the only times I watched him pitch was when he pitched to us, and we usually tore him apart. The only exception I can remember was game 5.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

1 yr offer, c'mon, he's worth it...

5. kevwun

kevwun Member

No, he's not. He had a stretch of dead arm that was so bad last season that the Cardinals thought his career was over. With a rotation of question marks as it is, another one is not going to make things better.

6. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

What's up with all the movement out of California lately?

And why do we have to wait 'til January to hear from Clemens?

At this point, he's decided whether he'll play or not. He just needs to let us know, so we can plan accordingly.

We need to start making acquisitions too.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because, January is when we'll probably know about Beltran (at the latest). Clemens isn't going to make that decision without knowing if we have a legitimate shot next year (and w/ Beltran... we do.)

We'll start making acquisitions when we know how much $$$ we have to work with... which is only after Beltran accepts or declines our offer.

There's plenty of the "filler" out there that we need, and the majority of them won't be signing any time soon. If you want a big-name player, you need to grab them now... but the Astros other needs won't be "big name" after Beltran.

(and if we don't get Beltran... who knows at that point... perhaps we could try to build something for the future w/ that money, since it would be highly unlikely to see this team duplicate last year's success without Clemens, Beltran, and Kent... but then again, you never know).

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Nick,

What your saying is exactly in line with what I was saying in the other thread as far as playing the waiting game. The problem with that is we could get doubly screwed if Beltran goes elsewhere and Clemens retires. Then, all of the good free agents will be already signed and we will have to make a trade to acquire anyone worth a damn.

On another note, did anyone see the line-up Garner would field as of today. Oh man that is a horrible line-up. He still puts Biggio in left field. Ausmus is still catching. Orlando is in right. OMG...if we go with that line-up, then we are in serious trouble. Playoffs are out of the question. Thank God that is just a hypothetical.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You never know in baseball... with guys like Ensberg and Lane playing everyday, you may no longer see those long slumps of the entire team going into a hitting funk.

Also, by playing half their games in a good hitters park, techincally, they shouldn't have a problem with the bats... even if they don't have the big bashers.

This game is still based on pitching... and if the Astros have a solid/healthy four in Oswalt, Pettite, Backe, and Miller... with Lidge closing... this team could still be good.

I'm not saying that we're still going to be playoff contenders... but if we don't get Beltran, I wouldn't want them signing consolation prize guy like Beltre or Drew, just so that they could say that they made a "big splash"... without thinking about it from a baseball sense.

Beltran is good for THIS team because he adds defense, hitting, speed, and clutchness... no other free agent out there would do that for me.

If they don't get him... give some of that money right away to Oswalt and Berkman, and be patient and ready to make a splash when a big-name pitcher, or a hitter that fits the team, becomes available.

I'm just against spending money freely, without any clue, just for the sake of spending money.