1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Rocker , nice to know the guy....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Francis3, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

NEW YORK -- John Rocker can't wait to get to New York next week -- and ride the subway with all the people he insulted last year.

"The first day I get to New York, I'm getting on the (No.) 7 train," the Atlanta Braves reliever told USA Today Baseball Weekly, which hits the newsstands Wednesday. "I'm taking it to Shea Stadium. I won't be in a cab. I won't be on the bus. I'll be on that train.

"And I'm looking forward to it."

Rocker said he won't initiate any conversations with people on the train, "but if someone wants to talk to me, that's fine."

It was that same subway line that Rocker insulted in an interview with Sports Illustrated last December.

"Imagine having to take the 7 train looking like you're (in) Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing.

"The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners," Rocker said in the Sports Illustrated interview. "You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

After the story came out, Rocker was suspended for a month and fined $20,000 by commissioner Bud Selig. The players association appealed, and an arbitrator reduced the penalty to a two-week suspension and $500 fine.

The Braves also fined Rocker $5,000 last month for threatening the Sports Illustrated reporter who wrote the story revealing Rocker's offensive comments about gays, minorities and foreigners.

Rocker was sent down to the minors the following day, but was recalled last week when Rudy Seanez tore a ligament in his right arm.

New Yorkers are poised for Rocker's return to the city June 29 for a four-game series with the Mets. Rocker is also looking forward to it.

"I'm not scared, I'm not intimidated in the least," he said. "Come on, what are they going to do to me but boo me? I hope they do.

"The worst thing they could do to me there is have no reaction. No reaction at all. ... I'd hate that.

"I want to get booed. That fires me up. Look at what happened last year in New York. I didn't give up an earned run at Shea or Yankee Stadium in the playoffs. Those people bring out the best in me."

Now, is he a moron or is he a ****ed up b****. Please , how do you go and tell ppl you are going on what train? Now ppl are going to be ready for his ass with guns and ****. It was nice knowing him, I will be shocked if he is alive by the end of the night. [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

There is no way Rocker will get on that train.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Rocker aint nothin but a freakin p***y. No way he gets on a train. I hope he does though. I also think he ought to visit places like Harlem, Queens and Brooklyn and whatever other crime infested areas there are in NY.

------------------
    MANGO - Get in my BELLAY!

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Boy, are there alot of misconceptions about New York on this post or what?

Guns? Crime infested areas?

Though I am born and raised in Houston and consider my self Houstonian, I can tell you that I am absolutely offended with those comments that Francis3 and Rockets03 just made. Sit back and relax. Its a very long post because I am pissed right now.

Let me enlighten you on a few things.

One, Harlem, Queens and Brooklyn are not CRIME INFESTED. As a matter of fact, crime is lower in New York than in Houston for years now. Queens has suburban areas that makes Kingswood, Sugarland and the Galleria look like 5th Ward. Brooklyn has its bad parts and so does Harlem. But, they are both going through huge upgrades that the Mayor is leading and compared to 10 years ago when I got here, I can tell you that I walk down Flatbush, Brooklyn and East Harlem WITH NO PROBLEMS.

Two, people will not be looking to kill this guy. If he rides the train, the most that will happen is a fight with a ton of people. And on every train in New York City there are at least 5 undercover policemen and 2 uniformed officers. Have you been on any trains in this area? Do you remember the trains 10 years ago? Do you see the vast improvement in security, lighting, cleaner cars, newer cars or the like? No you haven't. The trains are 95 percent completely safe. And the number 7 train, which is the one I use to catch to work and goes to the US Open and Shea Stadium, leads through some of the best neighborhoods in New York and Flushing leading to where the stadium is located.

Yea, there is crime here. But much less than you imagine. Compared to Houston, New York has 6 million more people and has a lower crime rate BY ALOT. Despite all the bad things that happen here, this is not Mayberry. The city is as safe as any other big city and more. My girlfriend lives in the heart of the Bronx. I mean, I have seen people get beat up right in front of her building. I live in New Jersey in the best small town there is where there are 3 murders every 5 years. But, when I go to visit her 4 times a week and over the weekend, I walk down the street to Blockbuster, I go and get food, I go and get Taco Bell WITH NO PROBLEMS. And that is as "infested" as there is in this city. You try and walk around here and you will see that as bad and as much graffiti that there is, people hang outside all summer and nobody gets killed. I remind you, this is one of the "infested" areas that you are referring to and I sit on the fire escape during the summer to watch the kids play at the firehydrant. Am I hurt? No, I am still here. I wear my Chipper Jones jersey walking down the street and nobody lays a finger on me. Sure, Yankee fans poke fun at me, but I just stop and talk to them and in all of the times I do that, we end up laughing and just say "see you in the world series."

Rocker won't be hurt. Hes not gonna..."die". He gets on the train, and if a Metfan sees him, he might get into a fight. But, don't you don't think he's gonna have security watching him?

And let me tell you one more thing, he is not going to get on the train. The Braves land in LaGuardia Airport which is ALREADY in Queens. If he catches the train like he says, he will be going no more than 5 stops which will be a total of 15 minutes. If he wanted to prove he has balls, he would catch it from Manhattan and ride 90 minutes to the park. In the neighborhood the airport is in, John McEnroe, Bruce Springsteen and Chris Rock have homes. Its as safe as can be.

The Mayor won't let anything happen to him. The image of New York is great(except on this post)and he won't risk anything bad happening.

You guys have to get out more.

As for Rocker, the Braves are working on trading that ass to Montreal for Urbina. I hope it happens because he is acting like a jerk in a clubhouse that is know as one of if not the most professional in baseball.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited June 21, 2000).]

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

John Rocker would get on that train. And he'd probably start a fight with a Met's fan. And the Police would probably step in and break it up. After all, didn't Guiliani say that 450-500 police officers would be involved around Rocker?

But the Braves aren't stupid enough to let that happen. He won't be on the train.

And Rocker won't be in Montreal any time soon, at least I don't think so. Felipe Alou, along with basically half the team, said he wouldn't be welcome there.

------------------
    Its only my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

RIGHT ON ALMU!!!

I live in Astoria. For those of you that don't know New York, that is the first neighborhood in Queens after you leave the island (Manhattan). We live on a beautiful tree lined street. We leave our windows open when we sleep and when we go to work (how many of you people in Houston can say that you do that?). I have lived in Queens for two years now and I have never had a problem. And that means walking home from the subway sometimes as late as 1 or 2 in the morning.

"I also think he ought to visit places like Harlem, Queens and Brooklyn and whatever other crime infested areas there are in NY."

Rocket03 have you even been to New York? I didn't think so. As my grandmother once said, "people should not talk about things they know nothing about". It makes you look stupid.

------------------

8. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

MC Mark and others,

This is not about who has the better neighborhoods or whatever. I had the same image of New York growing up in a bad area in South Houston.

What I am saying is New York is not what you see on TV. It doesn't look like Gotham City. Its a vibrant, metropolitan city with many diversities every other city dreams about. That is what John Rocker does not understand. That is the very strenghth of this great country.

Now, one day I will move back to Houston to live forever because I don't like how much people are less friendly here than in Houston or how crowded it is. That is why I live in a small town in New Jersey. But, if there was no Houston, I would live in the NYC area and no where else.

------------------

9. R0ckets03

Sorry guys I always thought New York was like how they show in movies like Seven, Die Hard, etc. I've never been there so I didnt know. Well I still hope that someone kicks Rockers ass though.

------------------

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Rocket03, I think I over-reacted just a tad.

You know, growing up in Houston, I thought the very same things. As a matter of fact, it took me 2 years to go into Manhattan once moving to this area.

But like I said, New York is a hell of a city...if you take out the Knick fans, the Yankee fans and the Met fans. Well, that would make the population about 500,000!! [​IMG]

By the way, you should see how I get with the New Yorkers when they hear I am from Texas. "Oh, do you guys ride horses?" Crap like that is common.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited June 22, 2000).]

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Rocket03 et al,

Sorry I may have been a tad harsh myself. I totally understand how people can get the wrong impression. After all, it is the media that perpetrates the stereotypes huh?

Anyways, anytime anyone asks me where I'm from and tell them Tejas; they get this weird look in their face like I'm from another planet. I guess the stereotypes work both ways. New Yorkas think anything past the Hudson river is wilderness and everyone in Tejas rides horses, has an oil well, and is rich rich rich.

Its fun to bust their chops.

I'm not going to be naive and say its all roses up here (as I'm sure you've all heard about the central park fiasco) but basically people are okay. Just like anywhere, you've got the good and the bad.

Its all good......or maybe not!

------------------

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited June 22, 2000).]

12. R0ckets03

I guess I wouldnt mind visiting NY now. I always thought my ass would be shot or something. So Brooklyn and all those places are supposed to be nice?

------------------

13. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

die hard was based in LA..but anyway why are you all still talking about rocker? who cares? he just spoke his mind..but he isnt a p***y.. all you people try and always be so politically correct i am not saying what he said was right..OR wrong he was just being honest get over yourselves people and stop acting like you are all running for office..

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

14. R0ckets03

I thought Die Hard 3 was based in NY. I'm pretty sure of that because Willis had to wear that sign in Harlem, or I could be wrong.

Hey hangover, first get your ass sober then open up your stupid mouth. I am an imigrant and if some fu!king b*stard is going to cuss out immigrants then I think I have a right to speak my mind. If I was going to run around cussing out white people, I'm sure some of you all might want to kick my ass.
    As for him being honest, his retarted looking ass can just kiss my ass. I still hope there are some crazies in NY who kick his ass. If not I will be happy to supply some D batteries in the Mets stadium.

------------------

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Asking someone not to be racist is not politically correct.

It's common decency.

BTW, he is wrong.

------------------
    "Go to hell Costas"-Dave Nelson after sweeping the ABSCAs on NewsRadio

visit www.swirve.com

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Actually, Rocker is RIGHT.

He described NYC perfectly...in 1970.

The problem is that NYC has changed so much in the last 10 years that its really scary. Its like another planet compared to the past.

Rockets03, New York will leave you breathless. Its the greatest. The only bad part I can tell you first hand is that the people are a little more "in a hurry" than in other places and its a ALOT more people. Oh, and its kind of expensive to live here too. The museums are great and there are no better restaurants anywhere in the world.

There is a chance you might get shot in the Bronx. Or you might get mugged in Manhattan. Or you might get raped in Central Park. But, that is what every other big city in this world has to protect against and New York is no different from them when it comes to crime.

------------------

17. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

when i think of die hard i dont think of die harder or die hardest or die hard 12...the first was set in LA...

as far as rocker goes let him be beat up..all i am saying is he spoke his mind got his view sensationalized..i mean does it hurt your feelings that some dorky relief pitcher was talking **** about immigrants? i hope not i have heard much worse and i am hispanic myself and i coudl give a rats ass..i respect him at least for having the balls to say it but its all sticks and stones who cares type of ****..i just think people in america have gotten way too sensitive that they cant even say what they think anymore..let him say whatever but you dont have to believe it..are you ashamed iof being an immigrant? have you got a chip on your shoulder? you gonna let some hick tell you how to feel and then believe it?..you should be proud of what you are regardless man.. when you let it hurt you then you must have a complex...its all media hype because they dont have anything else to talk about about...

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

18. Hasher

Hasher Contributing Member

I was thinking what fun it would have been for Mets fans to pile onto the number 7 train, with Rocker, and all of them strap on giant purple wigs and just stare at him throughout the trip. Oh well.

------------------

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

He didnt even ride the train, he went on the bus. Rocker pitched one inning and that was in the 8th. He struck out the first batter and got the other 2 out on groundball outs. He pitched good and shut the crowd. When he ran out , someone threw a bottle and a golf ball but they missed.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

20. R0ckets03

I wouldnt have missed!

------------------
    In Rudy I trust.