1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Cat, Jun 19, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Did anyone else watch the US Open this weekend? If you didn't, you really missed something special. This was the most dominant performance by one individual I have ever seen in sports. If you are familiar with golf, most US Open winning scores are around even par. Tiger was at -12, and 2nd place was at +3!! 15 STROKES!! Just take a look at some of the records Tiger set.

Largest lead after 36 holes (6 shots)
    Largest lead after 54 holes (10 shots)
    Largest winning margin ever in any major championship (15 strokes)
    Lowest US Open winning score under par (12 under)
    Lowest 72 hole total (272)
    Lowest 36 hole total (134)
    Lowest score at any point (12 under)

There may have even been some more, those were just the first that came to mind. I know some of you don't like golf, and unless it's a major, I don't watch a lot either, but this was simply unbelievable. Tiger was better length-wise, he was better when in trouble, better in the short game, better putting, etc. He dominated his game to an extent that I had never seen even MJ dominate his game. As the NBC announcers said at the end, this will be one of those times in sports that you never forget. Total domination. You don't see it a lot these days. Yesterday was one of those times, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Looking for the next MJ to carry the torch for sports? Don't look at Kobe, Vince, or another athlete. Look at Tiger. He is the next MJ, the next Babe, the next Ali, etc. Wait and see.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 18, 2000).]

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think watching golf is about as exciting as watching paint dry but that was one of the most captivating sporting events I've ever seen - the last few holes, anyway.

I wouldn't put it up there with a game 7, but it was really amazing to watch.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Golf is a pretty boring sport but since Tiger came in, I have watched it a little more and find a little more interest. The kid is amazing, he just makes the game fun to watch. He had a great performance at the US OPEN.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Maybe we should draft Tiger Woods, seems like he has pretty good ball control

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I would draft him but he is only 6'2 and is too small to play sf or pf but maybe we can start him at the 1 and put steve at the 2.

LETS DRAFT TIGER!

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Perhaps we could work a trade to get him

Houston gets
    Tiger

PGA gets
    Bryce Drew and future considerations

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

7. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I respect Tigers amazing talent but I'm just not a fan of Tiger or golf.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

8. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Tiger Woods, yaw!
    Tiger Woods, yaw!
    Tiger Woods, yaw!
    It's all good, yaw!

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I think the whole thing is fixed. NBC is just trying to build Tiger up so that they can market him to no end just like they did MJ.

How can Tiger be that good and all the other players be that bad? If its on NBC, it stinks. Its all scripted just like Friends, Frazier and the NBA.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

10. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

oeilpere,

Do you mean to say you've seen the likes of Rocket Richard, Ted Williams, Bob Cousy, Russell, etc. play? If so, then man, not only are you one lucky guy, but you must be one of the seniors of this BBS! Rocket Richard retired in 1960.

And Jeff thought he was old. [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited June 19, 2000).]

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

The old and the new:

I have been lucky to see some of the most amazing athletes.

Hockey: Rocket Richard and Wayne Gretzky
    Football: Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana
    Skaters: Toller Cranston and Elvis Stjko
    Baseball: Ted Williams and Mark McGuire
    Golf: Jack Niclaus and Tiger Wood

Then there's .....

Basketball: Wilt, Bill R., Zeke, Julius, Bird, Magic, Bob Cousy and Hakeem, Charles, Michael, Patrick, Clyde, Zo, G-man

------------------

12. PhiSlammaJamma

What is interesting is that Tiger snapped in good way after firing his old-friend caddy. He was struggling before that incident. I hated the decision at the time, but it has paid huge dividends. It all worked out from what I understand, but boy, that new caddy has made a big difference in his game. Tiger is clearly a legend. Confident little son of a gun too.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

13. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Azim

You Wrote: "....Do you mean to say you've seen the likes of Rocket Richard, Ted Williams, Bob Cousy, Russell, etc. play? If so, then man, not only are you one lucky guy, but you must be one of the seniors of this BBS! Rocket Richard retired in 1960..."

Saw all of them at least once at a live performance. Including Tiger twice. In particular saw Rocket play live several times as a boy, and met him at a function later on in life, with Jacques Plante, Pete & Frank Mahovolich, and Guy Lefleur. Missed his funeral not long ago because of business commitments. Met Ted williams and Cousy also. I was never a figure skater, and frankly thought most of them were too sissfied, but Toller Cranston was a guy that changed his sport forever and to this day did more for figure skating than any other single athlete.

Chris

You Wrote: "... But you can't blame the other players for playing bad defense or the refs for giving it to him ...."

LOL ... a little jab at the conspiracy theorists, eh?

------------------

14. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

oeilpere,

Have to say I envy you. Getting the chance to see all those legends, past and present. I'm guessing you saw the Montreal Canadiens play in the Montreal Forum, that must have been an experience of a lifetime. Likewise watching the Celtics in the Garden.

I feel priveliged just to have been able to witness Gretzky, Jordan and Monica Seles strutt their stuff live, along with Vince Carter, Mark Messier, McGrady and Iverson. But it must be something else to see greats from another era at their best.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I've never thought of golf as a sport (more of a leisure activity IMO) or golfers as athletes. I agree with Jeff that it's about as exciting to watch as paint drying.

But... it is still highly competitive and requires a lot of skill to play. What Tiger accomplished was incredible! I mean, damn - he broke a record that had stood for almost 150 years and another that had stood for over 100 years!!

Those being:
    1) largest margin of victory of any major - previously 13 strokes, British Open, 1862
    2) largest margin of victory in a US Open - 11 strokes, 1899

He played the same course that was eating every other pro golfer alive. But you can't blame the other players for playing bad defense or the refs for giving it to him [​IMG]. You can't even blame NBC for fixing it (what'd they do, give him a ball with a homing device in it?). It was just him vs. Pebble Beach just like the rest of them only he hit the fairways and he nailed the putts. The rest of them didn't.

Just amazing.

I think what really gets my attention with this is that it was such an individual accomplishment. There is always talk about players dominating their sport but, in most cases, you can argue that they couldn't do it w/o the help of teammates or bad plays by the opposition or the refs made bad calls or whatever. This is a case where one guy just kicked ass, plain and simple.

------------------
    fan is short for fanatic - logic has little to do with it.