1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you Roger Clemens

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocket Fan, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I know there are enough threads, but I thought this one deserved it's own thread.. with all positive thoughts...

Thank you Roger Clemens for coming out of retirement to play for your home town team. He was willing to play for a lot less than what he was worth in order to help his hometown team win something.

It was refreshing to see someone basically say.. I really love Houston and I want to help my city win...

I myself would have never became a fan of Roger's if it wasn't for this year... just because I don't follow AL baseball as closely as the NL...

It was great to learn about the hometown guy.. and see just how great he was ...

I met him last year during superbowl week, and I love how everyone who saw him was embracing him and his return...

If this is his last year.. the city of Houston owes him a big thank you... He showed the rest of the world the type of pride that Houstonians have...

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

second

I was never a Roger Clemens fan until this year. I knew he was a great pitcher but I didn't care for the person. Seeing what he did for the Astros and the city of Houston was pretty amazing. Hearing him on the radio today (Rome & D. Patrick) talk about getting life saving devices into schools just a day after losing game 7 of the NLCS was pretty amazing.

Roger, if you come back it would be great and I know we can take that extra step. If you choose to retire, you have more than earned it.

Thanks

leroy

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

an amazing year by anyone's measure...but particularly for a 42 year old man.

i'd love to have him back...but if he chooses to retire, then i wish him all the best.

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

To further on my point...

Roger has become a Houston icon now... because this year yeah the longhorn fans etc liked him... but I don't think he was ever a Houston icon.... now he'll live the rest of his life in Houston as a hero.. instead of just the great pitcher who played for the yankees, redsox, bluejays..

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

If he does retire.. . he does have 10 year personal service contract right... so his influence etc can still be felt by all of our players?

6. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I would like him to be a pitching coach or have some position to help our young staff if he indeed does retire.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He gave us a great year, it's time for him to enjoy that hunting trip.

Well, all is not bad. We will get Pettitte and Miller back next season.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope that he plays one more year, the concessions the team made for his schedule seemed to work out well for him, and I am hoping he comes back in the same capacity.

He is very important for young pitchers, if Backe can have one more year under him, and Miller can learn as well, they will have more productive careers.

Please come back Roger, but if you have to go.

Thanks !

DD

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Thanks Roger for the great year and memories...Sorry we couldn't get past the Cardinals, as that would have been the best series ever...

anyway, I'm 99.99% sure you won't be back, so enjoy retirement...

10. Summer Song Giver

Oswalt
    Clemens
    Pettite
    Miller
    Backe

:eek:

Biggio
    Beltran
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Lane
    Ensberg
    Everett
    Ausmus

That team WILL get it done.

11. Buck Turgidson

Best pitcher I've ever seen. Maybe the best ever.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That would be awesome. I hope he comes back next season, to get that year of him pitching beside his buddy Pettite. I won't be too upset if he retires. But it would be an insane rotation next yeear if he returned.

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed. Everytime I saw him pitch this year I had to remind myself he was 42 years old. I coudnt blame him if he retired, but I would love to see him give it one more year

14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Thanks Roger and thank you Clemens family.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

It was a good run.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Thanks Roger, you didn't have to do it, but you did...If this is the end of your pitching career it was a bonus to a pretty enjoyable second half of the season...

With Pettite, and Miller healthy, we still might be enjoying it...Who knows? You might decide to kick it one more time...

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Thank him indeed. Great year for a 42 year old.

Spring Woods class of 1989.

Go Rocket!!