1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lidge] Starter Game 6: Pete Munro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrisjent, Oct 19, 2004.

1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

That would be awesome. But munro is a nobody, basically. its true that backe is also, but if munro pitches 8 shutout innings then we will know for sure that this is a divinely inspired run to the WS.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Munro wasn't expected to do good the first time and he did more than he was asked. i really think though he should have been given the opportunity to lose the lead not turn it over to our bullpen that couldn't do a darn thing.

He is going to surprise people again. if the Ump has a decent strike zone Munro can be very effective working the corners.

3. Elienator

Elienator Member

Munro faced those same guys and went 4.2 innings throwing 80 pitches giving up 3 runs. One of those runs was because our bullpen couldn't get an out for him. Even with that run we were still winning when he left.

The last few times Munro has pitched, he's put us in a position to win the ballgame. I don't see why it will be much different this time.

Keep in mind, Jose Lima pitched a 4-hit shutout against the Cardinals.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Anyone else just thankful that we get to have this argument?

I know I am.

Munro and Clemens give us the best shot to win. Oswalt is taking longer than normal to recover. This is the playoffs. Munro knows what he needs to do. If he gets in trouble, I for one, trust that our pen can carry us.

Anyone remember the game earlier in the season where the pen got out of bases loaded w/ no out jams in consecutive innings. The 2 that put us in the position are no longer with the team. The 2 that got us out of those innings (which should have been one of those games that was the 1 game difference between us and SF) are still with the team (Gallo and Harville).

LET'S GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

This is great news! I'm really happy with Garner if he sticks with this and it isn't some ploy to get the Cards off balance and actually start Clemens.

I think starting Munro gives the Astros the best chance not to neccessarily win game 6, but to win the NLCS.

Tiger Woods said that? The man is a genius; I have a newfound respect for him.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

letting Munro pitch game 6 isn't all that bad:

Worst case scenario: we get rocked and the series goes to game 7
    Best case scenario: Munro/Wheeler/Lidge pitches a good game by commitee and we go to the WS with a Clemens and an Oswalt on full rest

Even with the worst case scenario, you get to bring in Clemens for game 7. if HE gets shelled, you got Oswalt working the bullpen and then you got Lidge.

This could be like game 7 of the WS with the Diamondbacks and the Yanks.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Everyone is discounting our offense, we can Rock Morris just as easily as they can rock Munro.

My hope is that the Cards are pressing due to not being able to lose one, and the Stros swing free.

DD

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

this is the best option. you have your horse lined up to go fully rested if need be on game 7. you think clemens a 6 time cy young winner cares about the pressure of pitching game 7 or any other game for that matter? if momentum was a factor we would've already lost this series because st. louis went up 2-0. clemens was brought into pitch in the pressure of a game 7 as the stopper. anyways i think munro will give us a strong outing tomorrow, i just hope the bats are ready.