1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ballpark at Union Station (Enron Field)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mc mark, Nov 4, 1999.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

How's the new ballpark looking? What's the scoop?

2. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Take a look...

[​IMG]

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"I'd like fries wit dat!!!" - Thomas Hamilton

3. mc mark

Beautiful!!!

Here's hoping my brother-in-law was able to score those opening day tickets!

Is completion date still on target?

Thanks!

4. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

To the best of my knowledge it is.
    Here's a look at the model...

[​IMG]

5. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

6. In case you missed it, the Astros got a new logo and 5 new uniforms today, 2 new hats, a new practice jersey, a new Enron Field Logo, and a commemorative patch for the 2000 season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Complete Uniform Webpage

These better look good in person,
    Rob

------------------
    visit my website @ http://members.xoom.com/bayoucitybob/

[This message has been edited by Rob in Spring (edited November 04, 1999).]

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Man thats UGLY .. WHy did they change it. We had the best logo.. That is soo stupid!

8. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Yeah. I noticed the new logo. UGLY.

9. mc mark

Took a look at the new uni's. Home pinstrips, away greys? What? Are they trying to be the Yankees?

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

uuuummmmmmm.......I kind of liked them. Yes they look like the Yankees with the pinstripes and grey aways. The greys are pretty cool and I like the pinstripes. Reminds me of a throw-back uniform. I like the colors, to. the one thing I don't like is the star. They should have stuck with the other star.

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I don't like them. Hell, I was just getting used to the new unis.

We look like a 70/30 mix of the Orioles and the Yankees. ungh :p

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love the new unis!! Finally we have unis that don't look like they'll be outdated in 10 years. These unis are as close to looking like the old Colt .45's and the shooting star jerseys as we've had since the rainbow days. They're the first real traditional looking baseball uniforms we've had since the rainbow days. More importantly to the Astros, they had to develop some more traditional uniforms to fit the overall marketing scheme in a throwback park. Hard to match the futuristic look with the old railroad station and the retro-park.

Finally...real uniforms...real grass...real baseball fans!! Baseball fans in Houston can finally rejoice!! Now let's see about getting out of the divisional playoffs!

13. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

MadMax,

Then why don't we just change the name back to the 'Colt .45s'? The name Astros doesnt't fit the 'retro' look either.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's a good point, Dreamer. Unfortunately political correctness keeps a team from naming themselves after a handgun at this point. If Washington can't have the Bullets anymore, I'm guessing Houston can't have the Colt .45's.

The other thing is that the Astros have been the Astros for over 30 years now. They've changed uniforms a lot, but changing team names is a huge move. That would essentially be changing the entire identity of the franchise. They're not likely to do that ever. This franchise is at a turning point right now and they're headed in the right direction.

15. Andyzipp

Andyzipp New Member

Actually, other than the 35 years of being the Astros and the laughable political incorrectness of the name "Colt .45" , there is the problem of the real reason the name was changed...

No one ever sought permission from the Colt gun company to use the trademarked and copyrighted name Colt .45.

Hofeniz was being sued and changed the name to get out of the legal hassle, not because of any affinity for the space program...but he did make lemonade out of lemons...