1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The turning point in the Astros season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Austin70, Oct 5, 2004.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm not talking about the game itself or the confrontation between oswalt or barret. sure that could be the catalyst that started this run. i'm talking about berkman and bagwell turning their back on oswalt in the media. this was before we went on our tear and before anyone in their wildest dreams thought we would make the playoffs. certainly at the time, 2 star players not exactly taking sides with one of their star pitchers isn't exactly a boost for team chemistry.

anyways it makes no difference now.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Lets just be happy and not worry about when it started, how it started, and all that crap....lets just say we are here and we are going to make some noise...not LOCK THIS UP or everyone just get happy :D

3. Buck Turgidson

I've seen 4 year olds with better instincts. Lance definitely has a certain "space cadet" quality to him at times.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow...so many turning points, i think. i'm not sure i could point to one, alone...

but the Cubs screwed up royally by pissing of the 'stros. they did the same thing with the Cards earlier in the season. stupid, stuipd, stupid.

and the berkman homer against the giants was huge, too.

what a fun 45 games. just incredible.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

BINGO

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I feel asleep also, if not for that homerun, we we have had that 1 game playoff, but things had already turned by then.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, the Giants would have finished one game up on us.

DD

8. MadMax

how??? there's a one game difference in the win and loss column, today. we would lose one...they win one...they gain a game...they're tied.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I believe it was when I started watching the games again.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

We finished the season 92-70, with the Giants finishing 1 game back at 91-71.

If the Giants had won that game, in theory, they would have finished 92-70 with us finishing 91-71............ 1 game behind.

11. MadMax

Exhibit A for why MadMax is a lawyer and not a doctor.

"It was my understanding there would be no math." --
    Chevy Chase portraying Gerald Ford on SNL

12. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Not sure which team we were playing, but it has to be when Roger got that little bloop to the pitchers mound, and he ran toward the first base line, and railroaded the base runner. That was amazing!

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No doubt about it, the turn around happened thanks to the Scrubs. The "fight" between Oswalt and Bareet? (the smuck catcher) seemed to put a fire into the Astros. It really woke them up, and suddenly they all seemed really intense and emotional over the game.

Here we go baby! 3 more hours! :D

14. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I didn't see it mentioned, but I think the turning point of the season came in the series in Montreal versus the Expos. I believe they lost two of three but the bats really started coming alive and the team showed fight in that series for the first time since the begining of the season. Kent was robbed of a homerun and from that point on the team as a whole really started to gather hits and collect solid at bats.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just the opposite for me. It started when I quit watching games after losing 2/3 to Montreal. I had also changed my wallpaper from Beltran robbing that HR against Texas to the Texans logo. I was full on into football season at that point.