1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Garner win Manager Of The Year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by shawn786, Oct 3, 2004.

?

Will Garner win Manager Of The Year?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I say YES and even if he dosnt he's still won it in my book.

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I'd like him to, but never did I see the Braves or Cardinals making the playoffs this year. After the Braves free agent losses and minor acquisitions, it's quite a feat Bobby Cox managed the Braves to the postseason. Also, the Cardinals, I woulda said your insane if you said the Cards would beat out the Cubs and Astros in the division much less have the best record in baseball at the end of the regular season. Those two managed their respective teams to great years for their teams. I'm not saying they did a better job then Garner (because I'm not arguing with 36-10), but they did it longer and with less talent. Hopefully Garner could win it, though.

3. fya

fya Member

Cox will :(

4. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Bobby Cox.

It's a tough choice. Garner led a remarkable turnaround, but the Braves exceeded expectations by so much, while the Astros either just barely fulfilled them or didn't meet them (if you go by preseason hype).

LaRussa will probably get plenty of votes as well.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

I pretty much agree with Jebus.

Garner will, and deserves to, get plenty of votes.

1. Cox
    2. LaRussa
    3. Garner

The job Garner did was just amazing. He really changed this team, starting with the running game.

He wasn't afraid to constantly change the lineup (how many times was Bags switched around?) and bullpen mix until a winning combo was found.

The mind boggling thing is, even though we won, like 29 out of our last 37, this team still had alot of flaws:

Relatively slow
    Sub-part defensively (especially after Everett went down)
    Weak starting rotation (after Clemens and Oswalt)
    Semi-weak bullpen with an inexperienced closer

Even during the last 6 weeks, our offense had its typical periods of inconsistencies.

The last 2 games of the Colorado series, he managed his ass off. Hopefully, the Stros performance will help dismiss many of Garner's critics who based his managerial qualifications on the low talent teams he had in Detroit and Milwaukee.

6. Elienator

Elienator Member

Garner didn't even manage the Astros for half their games. As amazing a run as the Astros put together, no way he wins manager of the year. He'll get some votes and deserve them, but I can't see him winning an award managing 1/3 the games of someone like Bobby Cox or LaRussa. It's not that they were that much better than him, but they managed the entire season. You won't win the MVP award if you only play half the season, same thing here.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Did Garner do a great job, a truly monumental task...Yes...However, it was only for a half a season, albeit, the best half ever...Not sure the voters will take that into account...

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He won't win it but he will get considerable votes. Garner should finish in the top 3 in the voting. Hell of a job he did.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As much as I hate the Braves, I don't see how they can give it to anyone but Bobby Cox.

10. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Jimy should win mismanager of the year.

11. Buck Turgidson

Cox
    Garner
    Tracy
    LaRussa
    Bochy

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No, LaRussa should win. Cardinals played in a tough division, but blew the rest out of the water.