1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Development: A Star in Two Years or You are a bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2024.

?

How long should it take for a player to fully develop?

1. Should be evident in their 1st year

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 2 years tops

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3 yrs - If not time to trade them

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. 4+ Years - They are a bust

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. It is more depended on the Team situation than the player

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So now we're supposed to wait till this scrub is 25 to expect him to play at a starting caliber level?

We already moved past the "he's only 23" and "he's only 24" excuses... damn

Arda likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Michael Jordan stats (2nd year) played 18 games, Jalen Green played 18 games
    when Sengun went down with injury in 23/24.

...........................................FGA...FG%...3P%...FT%...rebs...Ast...stls...pts
    MJ (22 - 23 y/o in 85/86): ...18.2...45.7....16.7....84.0....3.6.....2.9....2.1....22.7
    JG4 (21 - 22 y/o in 23/24): ..18.8...45.3....38.1....79.3....6.6....4.3.....1.0....24.2

I always said get Sengun out of there and his defender and Jalen Green
    numbers would go up. Less clutter in the paint. Both Jordan and Jalen
    Green are slasher scorers first....see some layups, see some FT's go
    through the rim.....then their outside shot goes down at greater efficiency.
    Mid range in terms of Jordan (not 3-pointers).

If Jordan in 2nd year shot as many 3's as Jalen Green did during Sengun injury stretch.
    Approximately same amount of FGA's
    (both had 18 in their respective stretch of games):
    MJ would have shot:
    [3's]..........16.7% (3P%) ÷ (9.2 3PA's) = 1.5 (3PM) x 3's = 4.5 points
    [2's]..........45.7% (*2P%) ÷ (9.3 2PA's) = 4.9 (2PM) x 2's = 9.8 points
    [FT's]........................FTM/game by MJ in 85/86............. = 5.8 points
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MJ having 18.5 FGA's (JG4 had 18.8) while shooting
    as many 3PA's as Jalen Green shot..........TOTAL POINTS = 20.1 POINTS / game

MJ:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01/gamelog/1986/

JG4:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenja05/gamelog/2024/

Edited: *mistake in using FGA% instead of 2P%. Still very similar stats.

#83 ApacheWarrior, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wow.... there's super dishonest, then there's this.... you really went next level here.

You picked the worst 18 game small sample of Jordan's under 38 year old career to a random 18 game Jalen Green sample that included the 8 games where he hit 47% of his 3's in an effort to blame Jalen's 3 years of dogshit performances on the Rocket's best player.

Just wow.

BamBam and deb4rockets like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

booby has so much hatred for the next coming of brewer 2.0

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Really we are comparing a year that MJ broke his foot and only played 18 games, this is a stretch of epic proportions and using stats in a disingenuous way.

DD

7. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

GTFO. Comparing Jalen Green to Jordan??

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Brewer made it 13 seasons in the NBA, I'm not sure Jalen will based on what we've seen thus far

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's the point of even wasting 4 years starting a struggling up and down and up and down shooter if he can just sign for whoever offers him the most money after his rookie contract? Aren't you better off just paying much better experienced shooters to begin with, and bringing your developing player in off the bench?

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

1) I went by approximate age of each [Jordan 22/23 y/o to Jalen Green 21/22 y/o]

2) MJ had better vets:
    Orlando Woolridge
    George Gervin
    John Paxson
    Charles Oakley
    Dave Corzine
    (All of which factor into gravity of a player....defenders couldn't just be on Jordan 4 vs 1 )

3) FG% vs 2FG% that year for Jordan was 45.7% (FG%) vs 47.4% (2P%) = 8.8 points

4) different eras, during MJ's time players had to stay within arms reach of their assignments.
    Jordan was able to take advantage of getting by his guy and the second and third tier
    of defense were often big behemoths weighing 278 to 300 pounders playing PF and Center.
    There was no zone defense allowed until 2001......Jalen Green had defenders camped out in the paint.
    Not only does he have to beat his man but those behind his defender ready in position.

What if Jalen Green took 28 FGA's like Jordan did in Jordans 3rd year......you would be screaming ball hog,
    Hero ball.

Harden took 21 FGA's in one season and you all blasted him. Cry baby B*tches

#90 ApacheWarrior, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, your goal was to be dishonest and attempt to make it seem like there's a comparison to be made between the greatest player ever and the worst first round pick the Rockets have taken since 2021 that is still on the roster...... AND you wanted to blame the best player on the Rockets roster for Jalen being absolutely terrible.

It's probably the most shamelessly dishonest post ever made on this site, which is quite the accomplishment.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Your the dishonest one. I lay out the facts as is.

I've always said Jalen Green is Kobe/MJ lite in an era where players are not as big. Speed is needed
    more than fat.

The Bad Boy Pistons implemented the Jordan Rules of knocking down Jordan Everytime he
    goes thru the lane, Jordan said he worked out relentlessly that off-season to build bulk......
    and did.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Bite me b*tch

I've lived through both eras

I saw Jordan get the luxury of phantom calls sending him to the free throw line and saving his FG%

He would hack guys on the forearm and the whole arena hear it and the refs would call all ball.
    Players would get all ball as Jordan drove and refs would call foul.

The FG% of MJ was over inflated by high percentage dunks (no zone defense) and ref Foul Calls

The refs can call illegal defense in practically every possession in today's NBA game

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kid, you cherry picked literally the worst 18 games of MJ's career under the age of 38 to compare to literally the best 18 game (it was really only 9 of the 18 that were any good, but small sample sizes can use incredibly good games to hide **** games.) sample of Jalen Green's career.

You either did that intentionally because you are exceptionally dishonest, or you did it accidentally without realizing it because you are a complete moron. I'm not going to argue over it being one or the other.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He was 24, but it's a fair point. That said Brunson has always been a better shooter than Green. Maybe Jalen Green improves his shooting next year, but I think it's an uphill battle because he's never been a good long range shooter at any level.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Diaper baby, it's not that hard to understand, MJ was just starting his NBA career and so was
    Jalen Green.

I'm getting tired of having to explain this.

MJ spent 3 years in college being trained by one of the most legendary coaches
    the game has known. Jalen Green did not. He got Brian Shaw and Silas; the same
    Silas that stuck Jalen Green in the corner to be a spot up shooter his entire first
    (rookie) year. Same thing he did with Jabari Smith his first year.

MJ's worst season, look at every players stats and you might notice that it's everyone's
    "worst seasons" tend to be their initial years 1 - 3; cherry picking,, why would Jalen Green
    be the exception? Because you want it to be? You are deliberately kicking the kid while
    he is just starting his career and weighs 185 pounds on the average

I'm going by age, but their weights were not comparable, MJ cane into the league
    at about 198. Check his draft profile online. So I'm going by age whether you like
    it or not.....MJ had the advantage in this comparison because his body could absorb
    more contact than Jalens at about the same age. Give and take, MJ's era was more
    physical. That's why I give the label MJ-lite or Kobe-lite......I've posted in the past
    when Jalen came out studies that show the NBA has gotten lighter in weight
    tremendously since the 1960's to now.

One study citing kids nowadays eating more healthier things like kale/seaweed
    and gluten free things. Their body fats are less.

As far as the broken foot, the average human takes 6 weeks to heal from a broken
    bone. MJ took off from Oct 30th to around March. Near 4 months rehabbing. You
    are making excuses for MJ. He had the better supporting cast by far which I listed.

Why that year......because it's hard to compare the other years of MJ because he adds
    Phil Jackson and a structured Triangle Offense that included Pippen, Kerr, Toni Kukoc,
    Rodman, BJ Armstrong, Stacy King, Luc Longley, Horace Grant, Ron Harper, Bill Cartwright.

As Jordans teammates got better so will Jalen Greens. The Jabari, Tari, Cam Whitmore,
    Sengun, vets will get better......same trajectory in teammates at about the same stage in
    their NBA careers.

And MJ took about 24 field goal attempts for the rest of his career. His third year was
    27 (round up to 28) FGA's, then steadily around 24. Teams are forcing their players to
    share the ball more. Doubt Green gets near that level of FGA's in this era. Unlike Jordan
    who got to work up a lather and rhythm that allowed for working out of a cold start of any
    particular game.

I'm showing the poor 3-point shooting of MJ which you don't like. You make fun of
    Jalen shooting below average (36%) but don't want me commenting that it's his
    role as shooting guard to create spacing for others and that he shot 9 per game
    and you don't want me to point out that MJ shot doggie do-do from 3 and if asked
    to shoot as many as Jalen Green, his (MJ's) FG% would plummet.

As it does for Jalen when Sengun plays and they share the court. Why because
    Jalen like most drive-scorers, use making baskets in the paint or near the rim to
    feed the fire of shooting from outside. Most high-flyers practice dunks and layups
    their whole early life for the dunk contest....shooting not so much. But in this category
    Jalen Green puts MJ to shame. MJ spent 3 years in college and his first 7 years had
    a sucky 3-point average. Sorry just a fact.

Refs usually give drivers to the basket like Jalen Green the foul call after their rookie
    season. In this league and these refs we are now 3-years in and Jalen Green is the
    most knocked down player that does not get the foul call. This therapist poorer FG%.
    You are being disingenuous when you ignore this fact. Another reason why I chose
    this year of MJ was because they had relatively the same amount of FTA's per game
    that season.

The removal of Sengun clogging the lane is why I chose these particular games.
    I've stated since we drafted Jalen that Green would flourish with a Center who
    could shoot 3's. The Rockets being one of the worst 3-point shooting teams the
    past few years have contributed to a packed paint for entire seasons which is a
    hindrance to Jalen Greens game. You don't wish to acknowledge this because you
    have your agenda to push.

You would rather push that Jalen Green is compatible to Lou Williams, then put the
    stats down. I don't care, I know who knows basketball and who (you) doesn't.
    And I know when Sengun went down that many experts were saying that Jalen
    Green looks like the best player in the league during that stretch. I called it right
    before Sengun went down. I discussed this in the Jalen Green to the bench thread.

I said they should trade Jalen Green to the Celtics or Pacers this off-season
    and people will see how Jalen Green on a 5-men out scheme would flourish.
    Center drawing the opposing big out of the lane....then Sengun went out.....Jalen
    flourished.....the rest is history.

And you are a dummy, but have a nice day. Sir,

#96 ApacheWarrior, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

reread the information ....

31.6% on catch and shoot 3's

33.5% of his wide open 3's

34.9% of his combined open and wide open 3's

Open and wide open have no bearing upon catch and shoot - unless the catch and shoot also falls in the open / wide open category - that is described as closest defender 4-6ft for open and greater than 6ft for wide open.

No wonder adding 31.6 to 33.5 doesn't add up to 34.9.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How many future all nba level players had largely the same level of production their first 3 years?

I would image virtually all of them showed some clearly notable improvement in that time, not fringe improvement.

DaDakota likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in short, your argument is that you aren't dishonest, you're a moron.

I'm still not sure I believe you, but fair enough.

#100 Bobbythegreat, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024