1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Music Producer, Big Black frontman Steve Albini has died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mikol13, May 8, 2024.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This is a big one in the music community. A part of some huge records and some really cool underground stuff . RIP.

#1 mikol13, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

WTF. Just saw Shellac was releasing a new album in like 2 weeks. These heart attacks before retirement age scare the **** out of me. RIP

mikol13 likes this.
  4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I was really shocked about this - I was looking up something on allmusic and there it was on the front page, RIP Steve Albini and I was like WTF????!!!!

B-Bob and mikol13 like this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

when nirvana went to him to record in utero he said he would do the album for free if they could beat him at pool. they lost.

he has a ton of videos on youtube about recording. if youre into home recording at all or play in a band theyre worth checking out. he was a true genius when it came to doing what he did.

he was also quite the poker player and won hundreds of thousands playing in tournaments.

another cool thing about him is that even though he did some huge records and worked with big name artists, he also recorded tons of lesser known bands. i know multiple people who recorded with him over the years...just people in local bands that toured around in a van and didnt make any money...but he was still affordable enough for them to go to.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Been going down the rabbit hole with all these old bands.

B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Steve Albini and Butch Vig were serious genius studio guys

There's one other guy from back then who I can't think of right now.

#9 Buck Turgidson, May 8, 2024
    B-Bob likes this.
  10. jo mama

gil norton and/or alan moudler?

the albini stories ive heard from those who worked with him were different depending on when they worked with him. he was very confrontational and blunt in his younger days. didnt have a problem telling someone that what they were playing sucked or the song sucked. he could make things very uncomfortable in the studio to the point that band would stop working with him even though they liked his recordings. over the last 20 years or so he softened up quite a bit and was apparently super nice to work with.

and all the stuff he has up on youtube is a great resource for aspiring audio engineers or home recording enthusiasts. he was really generous with his knowledge the last decade or so.

#10 jo mama, May 8, 2024
  11. Buck Turgidson

Now I gotta look a bunch of stuff up

jo mama likes this.
  12. jo mama

those dudes resumes are just as, if not more impressive than albini or vigs!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I was in the car today, just briefly, and KEXP (Seattle) is playing this old Big Black song, and I'm like HELL YEAH! Until I then figured out that Albini was dead. Takes me all the way back to my KTRU days playing their stuff and also Rapeman.

I remember so many of his projects and rejoicing when he turned his powers for good (producing other people's albums). To me, In Utero is one of the most perfectly recorded albums, and I'm not even a big Nirvana fan.

Manny Ramirez, mikol13 and jo mama like this.
  14. B-Bob

Yeah, you know, but maybe it's a good way. I've seen so many ends by now, and I still love that a fave uncle died in his sleep with a smile on his face in his early 60's. I hope Albini wasn't in any terrible pain at the end, but I think it's better to go quick and tidy.

Buck Turgidson and DCkid like this.
  15. B-Bob

Oh man, ... so many of those I didn't even know about. Head of David's Dustbowl album was such a classic in its time (at least in college radio). Damn.
    [EDIT] And the best Boss Hogg album too! for f*'s sake.

KingCheetah likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

It's probably my 3rd favorite album of theirs, but it's just so perfect as is.

jo mama likes this.
  17. jo mama

they said he had the heart attack at his studio...not sure if he died there or they got him to a hospital.

i read that book "our band could be your life" last year. each chapter is about a different 80's american punk band. as i was reading each chapter i would listen to that bands albums and when i got to big black i had forgotten how much those albums kick ass.

i was too young to see BB or rapeman, but i did see shellac...great band.

Manny Ramirez and B-Bob like this.
  18. jo mama

i see what you did there.

19. Buck Turgidson

"What the **** did I do?"

20. Buck Turgidson

Unplugged
    Nevermind

Bleach or In Utero, hell if I know