1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024: Biden or Trump [trail vs trial] POLL

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 22, 2024.

?

Who are you voting for?

This poll will close on Nov 4, 2024 at 7:37 PM.
  1. Biden

2. Trump

3. RFK Jr.

4. None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. astros123

astros123 Member

Don't forget this dude is a bernie bro. Like I said long time ago that bernie bros are utter trash and demand the entire party bend to their whelm. They can't accept that bernie got less votes in 2020 in every state versus his totals from 2016. @fchowd0311

If biden wins in 2024 it will be because enough moderate Republicans crossed the asile to save this country from facism. The dipshit lefties only ever cared for themselves

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think there are many outside bad actors that are very much either pro Trump or pro fall of America that are strategically working to create that whataboitism/punish the Democrats for not being pure enough narrative.

Iran is a huge country with a major apparatus for influence campaigns that they can pay for that will certainly have enough reach to get Fox News attention… but the question is how many progressives on the left that are patriotic Americans normally fall for this nonsense and do tip the balance in November… simply because they are gullible enough from outside anti American adversarial propaganda to be useful idiots on behalf of countries that want to take us down.

The right wants Democracy gone. That’s obvious. Just listen to Alito’s disdain for our system of government and checks and balances yesterday… that’s a tell that they are all in on the right on autocracy. Then you have other countries who want America to be thrown into chaos and taken off the world stage.

It’s a GIGANTIC challenge for this country to remain a Democracy. It’s going to take a crap load this Fall to get just enough people to save it for another 4 years… beyond that… I sadly don’t think it can last much longer. At some point Trump or a Trump 2.0 will eventually win an election and if SCOTUS is still the same makeup it is today, we are done here.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As Benjamin Franklin said, we have a republic if we can keep it.

Xopher, astros123, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's crazy how this is all because of Trump. The guy has done more damage to this country than I ever thought possible. He has Americans believing now that Autocracy/Dictatorships are the way to make America better. He has Americans willing to spit on Democracy and the votes of the people, and to give their leader full immunity to break the law, steal elections, and sell our top secret info to the highest bidder with full immunity from prosecution. It's a crazy world in America right now.

astros123 and dobro1229 like this.
  5. dobro1229

What's even more crazy about is yes... it is possible for a large amount if not even maybe a majority of citizens in a Democracy to say "I want to try out the Dictatorship model because Democracy hasn't worked out for me personally."

However to have that belief while also believing that TRUMP is the right guy for that dramatic shift to me is the crazy part. Even if he does have dictatorial characteristics, he's incredibly unproductive, selfish, and incompetent. He's also very old, and unhealthy. It's like exactly who you wouldn't want if you were creating a dictatorship. He's just going to enrich himself, and be lazy so those who are anointing him the chosen one aren't going to get as much out of him to do what they want, and they'll have depleted resources to do so.

Probably sounds like I've thought too much about my ideal dictator lol. Donald Trump would be like last on that list.

Xopher and deb4rockets like this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Biden tells Howard Stern he would be happy to debate the Donald.

astros123 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

A guy in a philosophy group I used to be in would love to quote the original Planet of the Apes and talk about how humans are violent and petty by nature and need to be ruled by power. There is some truth to that and other political philosophers such as Thomas Hobbes recognized that.

Democracy in the history of humanity has been relatively infrequent and hasn't survived for very long. Going back to the earliest days of democracy tyrants were known to arise from democratic systems and do so through the populism and playing off grievance towards the elite. In this Trump isn't something that is new but was something that the citizens of ancient Athens, the Roman Republican and even the US Founding Fathers foresaw.

What makes things different now is the power of things like social media, celebrity and outrage in our culture. In these things Trump is a master and knows how to capitalize on them.

Xopher likes this.
  8. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't sending a message though. It will be written off to low voter turnout. There are a multitude of reasons for low voter turnout. It isn't as if you can state somewhere that will be documented "I didn't vote because the candidates suck"

astros123 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A majestic over-generalization. I bet Alex would love this praise you give him. (I don't know who Fuentes is.)

However I truly hope, with the amount of things going on, that how pro or anti-Jewish these senile candidates are is not most people's #1 issue.

10. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't just Trump though. Trump was just the catalyst. He sped things up. He made these people believe is okay to succumb to their basest human nature and desires. He most adherent followers finally found someone who didn't give a damn if they were racist, or :::insert whatever here::: Trump is the manifestation of the disease. Not the disease itself.

astros123, FrontRunner and Andre0087 like this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will not say that people who choose not to vote are morons and losers.

I don't think that posters like @Haymitch are dumb and the main candidates aren't what most people would like. This is why I describe it as "Principled Apathy". Yes there is a principle that you don't want to appear to be giving support to who you believe to be a very flawed candidate. In all likelyhood though one of those candidates will win and whether you like them or not you will still be affected by the decisions they make. Your not voting won't lead to sudden change where the RNC and the DNC suddenly wake up and go "Aha only 40% turned out to vote so we need to nominate totally different candidates". If anything low turnout leads them to become less responsive since they figure they don't need a wide base to win.

A frequent argument we hear on places like D&D and other political forums is that everyone wants change. Change though doesn't happen overnight magically nor does it happen because people aren't participating in the process. Jesse Ventura did overcome the two party system and in his words "SHOCKED THE WORLD!" What a lot of people even in Minnesota don't realize was he didn't just magically appear and win because voters were sick of the Democrats and Republicans. There was years of work put on by the then Reform party and by his Campaign Chair Dean Barkley who himself had run for US rep and statewide office years before while Jesse was in Hollywood. He was able to not just get Jesse Ventura on the ballot but also got some of the political infrastructure that Ross Perot had built to help finance Ventura's campaign.

astros123 and Xopher like this.
  13. dobro1229

Yeah it's a fascinating discussion, and one that does not really bode well for our future here in the US, and the greater Western Democracies.

I think this human flaw also is a reason why organized religions were formed years ago. I think people 4000 or so years ago back around that time of the some of the first big Pharoah's corrupted power out of governing societal system, and made themselves into god like deity's, alot of those ancient humans realized that the laws of man have to have a mythos that answers to laws beyond man. Because the deity is fake, as a mythos it is incorruptible.

What has been exposed through Trump and now this insanely corrupt Supreme Court is that in alot of ways, the Constitution, and Democracy here is in alot of ways a mythos. A mythos created by the framers who were sick and tired of corrupt tyrant man babies like King George. It truly is an experiment, but unlike religion, the day to day actions are reliant on Self-Determination from the every day citizens. If half of the congregation of a religion stop going to church, and speak out against the religion, it's likely the religion will fail. If 1/3 of Democracy stops participating, and another 1/3 of Democracy actively speaks out against Democracy.... it's unlikely the other 1/3 will hold the line.

Bleak stuff for a Friday, but unless that other 1/3 of non-participants get off their butts this mythos we call Democracy is very likely going away sooner than we think.

astros123 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

from another perspective,

in his first 3.3 yr in office, Biden has
    • already created more jobs than any POTUS in history
    • generated the lowest unemployment rate ever

astros123 likes this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

"I'm tired of this back-slappin' "isn't humanity neat" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes."

Bill Hicks

astros123 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Racism has always existed though, and it will never change with many people, whether they are more vocal or not. We've made a lot of progress in the past 50 years, and still have work to do, but what Trump has done that no other President has done is brainwash millions of people with flat out lies and propaganda over and over and over. He's now got the approval of those people to rule with reckless abandon, and with complete immunity from prosecution for any crimes he chooses to commit to obtain power, stay in power, and richen himself and his family.

That's the biggest threat to everyone, from our national security, military personnel, to all the people of this country. He could strip away free and fair elections for good, by cheating or stealing the votes or overturning the election to stay in power by any means he wants to. He could compromise our troops by sharing secrets to the type foreign leaders who would take advantage of the knowledge for personal favors in return. I never thought I'd see the day when people actually supported letting anyone put themself above the laws of this country, to do as they please, regardless of the severity of the crimes.

#116 deb4rockets, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    astros123, FrontRunner and Xopher like this.
  17. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Well obviously it's a personal decision. I'm not going to vote for someone who I think is terrible because the other side is trotting out a scumbag like Trump

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I understand your point when you don't like either candidate, but unless you vote for the best candidate, you are making it easier for the worst one to take control of the country.

astros123 likes this.
  19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

The problem is
    The problem is there isn't a best candidate. Trust me the last thong I want is Trump running the country but I don't think Biden is a good alternative. I'd just rather not contribute to what they are offering.

20. astros123

astros123 Member

Grow the **** up. Biden isn't threatening a military coupe nor is he threatening to literally murder his opponents

#120 astros123, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024