1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Gergin

Gergin Member

The "Is alpi partying too hard?" discourse started early this year. Remember last year he shared a short video of him shooting his flamingo shot and another one where he did squats with a dumbbell. Yet he came back much more improved than other players who post videos from "the lab" every day.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not get why fans can party all they want but players cannot go to vacation.

#13922 daywalker02, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    apollo33, clos4life and Gergin like this.
  3. Gergin

Gergin Member

Absolulety. They need rest. And like I said going by social media clips is simply dumb. I've seen more videos of Jokic dancing on Serbian weddings than him working out. Then you have Ben Simmons who would post a ton of videos every summer how he works on his 3 and we know how that turned out.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Also shooting leisurely in practice and shooting in and against real competition are 2 things.......

apollo33 and cml750 like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The last video posted was from 2022 anyway.

cml750 likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

I bet the ones who work out the least are the ones who post the most social media showing their workouts. The ones that work out the most post social media when they are having fun and not as much of the workouts which are their normal routine.

Gergin and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t get why there are still questions surrounding this situation.

The only reason to extend either one of them early is if the front office knows 100% that they don’t plan to try to use cap space next off-season. If there is even a small % chance that they think that they can improve the team via cap space then they need to preserve as much of it as they can.

astrosrule likes this.
  9. MystikArkitect

This organization just extended Stone in large part because Alperen Sengun is so ****ing good at his job.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously? You don't get it? It's pretty simple...

Fans aren't competing to be one of the best (or the best) in the world at something. I like my job, I'm happy with it, but I'm not the best at it. And I don't care if I'm the best at it. Truthfully, I don't even care if I get better at it, I just want to do a good job and come home and enjoy my personal life. If this is your approach to basketball, you're not even going to make the NBA. These guys are competing to play at the top level, and especially if a player has aspirations of being an allstar, or an all-nba player, or an MVP, or a GOAT, that takes work and dedication. I'm not saying he has to video record every moment and post it on social media but...being the very best takes a lot of work, certainly a lot more than any fan puts into their job. Obviously he is allowed to go on vacation and have free time. But there's a lot more work and dedication required for NBA players than the average Joe.

Easy likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yes and Sengun will get the max. I don’t think there is any reasonable person paying attention to this team who thinks otherwise. Sengun can sleep easy knowing he’s already done everything he needs to do to prove he’s worth the max extension he will absolutely get. He just has to wait to sign on the dotted line IF the organization is interested in having as much cap space as possible next off-season. Extending him early doesn’t get him any of that money any earlier.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He will get it - from which team and when is another question.

Remember, he was supposedly getting shopped last off-season.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Nope not true, if the rockets are stupid he will get it this offseason, if the rockets are smart he will get it next offseason. The team and the contract are set, as you have already been told. Only question is do you want to throw away the 22ish mil in cap space next season or not.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not if he gets traded. IF the rumours are true that they shopped him last off-season (that was one of Clutch's off-season predictions), they must have thought that they could get better value even at his current - very low - contract value.

Hard to believe, but someone credible like Clutch believed it.

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Oh i misunderstood, i thought you were talking about this offseason. I didn't realize you were talking about last offseason my bad

16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I don't see anything that you said about working more contradicting to what @daywalker02 said. Players work much much harder and intensely than the average person, and that's exactly why they need the vacation more. To reset the mind so that they can start the season with full force. Nothing wrong with that. Jokic was dancing in local feasts in the summer and that's exactly what he needed.

What fans are doing here is trying to draw a negative conclusion about sengun based on practically anything. Last summer, it was KPJ and Green were working hard while Sengun was supposedly partying in Turkey. People even said he shouldn't have played for Turkey because that doesn't contribute to his nba career. He should have prioritized rockets. Well, Sengun improved over the summer much more compared to anyone else. So there is no relationship between what we are feeded and what they actually do. One should rather look at character and past behavior to judge whether he is working or not and I am sure Sengun will put his max effort this summer as well.

daywalker02 and harold bingo like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Clutch said on Rocketswatch that they would move anyone on the Rockets for a "star" this offseason (I don't remember the details, but I think Embiid was cited as an example.)

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ok, has absolutely nothing to do with what i said, idk why you’re trying to be obtuse just to go at clutch

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What is it that you don't understand? You are saying that the team and the contract are set. If he gets traded, the team is obviously not set.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ok, if he’s traded then who gives a crap about his contract? Irrelevant to the rockets