1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ilhan Omar tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 18, 2019.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

K9Texan likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We understand that he didn't cite his sources in some articles. It doesn't say they were inaccurate. It doesn't mention the case we were talking about. I listed other sources for that as well. You are simply trying to distract from that issue.

You haven't commented on the fact that there is no proof she married her brother. You are spreading internet BS. You got burned again.

4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Not that surprising that "fact checkers" and "Wikipedia editors" lean left because who else with a real job has enough time to do that crap.

At least spend the time on Clutchfans instead, like busy CEOs :p[/quote]

K9Texan likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

[/QUOTE]
    Which side says people who read books and study things at in universities are woke evil people trying to ruin society?

The only thing right wing people care about at school is their marketing classes and business classes because they are easy and grifting is the only profession that respect.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You have posted about half a dozen posts on something nobody was talking about and addressed zero of the arguments showing there's no proof of your claim.

Andre0087 and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You can choose font size 72 and you would still be wrong, and an idiot. lol

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I can post font size 72 and you still haven't addressed the issues showing there was no proof to the claim you've been making.

You didn't learn from your mistakes in the Pelosi thread and you got suckered again. lol

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm pretty sure that science and engineering (in addition to business) are the areas with the lowest left bias in universities.
    Political identification of college professors by field (%) | Download Table (researchgate.net)
    Are nurses, engineers, computer scientists, biologists, chemists, etc. just taking easy classes to grift?

#854 StupidMoniker, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean from someone who is a mechanical engineer who has been in engineering academics for 5 years in college I can understand an inherent narcissism of dismissing any other form of education outside those fields as the default culture in those majors. I'm around it constantly and I see people who lack basic intellectual curiosity and are reactionary on anything outside their narrow scope.

Understanding partial differential equations doesn't make you more inherently knowledgeable and curious about the history of the Levant.
    On college campuses the people with the strongest pro-israeli sentiments are probably from business schools in their respective campuses, the breeding ground of nepotism and frat bro curriculums and conservative reactionary politics

#855 fchowd0311, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. foh

foh Member

Imho, Jewish students are the ones intimidated/effected the most by this, so there is a definitive prejudice going on. But yes, past a certain point all the students are effected equally (when classes are suspended).

Can you explain what this whole deal with demanding to "divest" is? Did these people protesting invest a lot of money into the university and the endowment on relative terms? Do they feel like just because they got accepted into this institution, they get to say how it's governed? Where is this sense of entitlement by the protesters coming from? Or they feel entitled because there is a history of protests at this location? I assume students protesting against Vietnam is a much more reasonable thing because there was draft going on and their generation was forced to fight. Nothing of the sort is going on atm.

Imho this is just occupation of private property and disturbing the workings of an educational system to gain attention and to feel like they are effecting things. And they are effecting things.

Just because they are gathering negative attention from folks doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad attention. Look at Trump - he's made a business out of garnering negative attention. As long as they are drawing attention to issues that resonate with public, they are effecting things in a way that they want. Doesn't mean that I agree with the methods - either theirs or Trump's. It's manipulative and done on an impulse. But I think it's ok - they are being a useful idiot that allows our Israel policy to improve without republicans crying foul and ignoring the humanitarian plight of Palestinians (as the republicans are generally prone to doing).

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

A few things.

1. Jewish people are discriminated against, stereotyped all over the world. It has been even more widespread and accepted in Europe than the US.
    2. In the US fringe elements that have discriminated against them have been encouraged by folks like Ron DeSantis campaigning for neo-Nazis, Trump, his endorsed candidates downplaying the holocaust and appealing to Neo-Nazis encourages his followers to be more open with their anti-semitism
    3. These students should have protesting along side the Jewish students long before this.
    Also...
    4. Students should have protested long before this against Israel and their inhumane bigoted treatment of the Palestinian majority in the area.
    5. Supporting Palestinians should have a clear delimitation from supporting Hamas.
    6. One can be against Israel's bigoted policies and also not support Hamas.
    7. College students should have freedom of speech even if they are saying stupid and immoral things.
    8. People should criticize the actions of people without criticizing the person as a whole.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

My stance on this issue hasn't changed much after learning more about it. In essence, while I disagree with the protest and find it ineffective and misguided, I strongly support the right to peaceful protest. Therefore, I am completely against any crackdown on peaceful demonstrations by the university or the government.

It's understandable that Jewish students would be more emotionally affected by this than others. Upon further reading, I realize that divestment is an age-old concept dating back to the Vietnam War protests (though this current protest differs from those in several ways you've pointed out). The protesters aren't claiming entitlement or demanding rights, but rather urging the university to stop investing in companies or activities linked to the Gaza conflict.

The Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP), involved in this protest, is a student organization nearly three decades old that has advocated for divestment from Israel due to "severe human rights violations" since its inception (along with promoting boycotts and sanctions, collectively known as BDS). Naturally, they are part of this push for the university to divest from interests tied to the Gaza war.

By definition, large protests impact and disrupt normal activities - this is an inherent byproduct. While the protesters aim to draw attention to their cause and demands, effectively achieving their goals is another matter entirely (which I don't believe they are accomplishing). I don't view this as an impulsive movement either. The JVP has sought divestment for close to 30 years; the Gaza conflict has simply intensified attention and support around their longstanding cause temporarily, which I expect will subside once demands are met or the war ends.

To restate my position: I don't find the protests effective, but I wholeheartedly support their right to peaceful demonstration. Ironically, I believe the congressional politics and crackdown on the protests have actually caused them to spread by drawing more attention and garnering wider support - not necessarily for the cause itself, but against the suppression of protest. (In a cynical viewpoint, I believe that's exactly the outcome Republicans wanted to negatively impact Biden's chance in the upcoming 2024 election, and these protesters are their pawns).

#858 Amiga, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Antisemitism comes from the left, 90%.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I hadn't seen those statistics. I did see the march in Virginia when the right wing crowd were chanting antisemitic chants and Trump said there were very fine people on both sides.

I did notice the Republican in candidate in NC being a holocaust denier and spouting Nazi rhetoric.

I did notice DeSantis hiring then having to fire his campaign staffer for using Nazi imagery.

I did notice Right Wing candidate, Paladino, saying Hitler was the kind of candidate the country needed. He was supported by other Republican politicians.

The list goes on.

There is definitely antisemitism from those on the left as well. But the side that chooses antisemites as their candidates, in recent times, seem to come from the right. The leader and Presidential nominee of only the Republicans seems to endorse these pro Nazi candidates.

So I do know which side of the political aisle nominates and supports more candidates for political office.

#860 FranchiseBlade, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    rocketsjudoka likes this.