1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Thought he was overseas teaching French kids how to play football or bathe or something.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

No. But there’s not another team that will lose revenue when fans of that color buy Texans gear instead of Oilers gear. Which is what I really believe this to be about.

macho GRANDE, Hey Now! and Blatz like this.
  3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Cliff notes:

- The NFL designed the uniforms and sent them to the Texans, this includes an Htown blue uniform where the primary color was the Colombia blue

-Amy Adams Strunk threw a giant b*tch fit to Roger Goodell personally and convinced him to not let the Texans use any of the blue at all

- A compromise was reached, however this blue may be expanded into the uniform as the NFL sees how well it sells and no longer pays attention to Adams.

4. Qan

Qan Member

I uh...kinda want that hat Cal has on..

5. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Both hats on sale online.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Getting the top one

macho GRANDE, red5rocket and Blatz like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Honestly? I don't think the Titans are totally out of line here. I'm not a lawyer - maybe this case would crumble: but it sure seems like arguing the current Houston team not be allowed to use the old Houston team's colors/logos/designs because they belong to you.... I mean, what's the issue with them blocking it?

I don't even think this is petty or vindictive (though it's probably that, too). These uniform redesigns do not happen in a bubble. The Giants, for instance, would never allow the Jets to wear blue and red. If the Steelers decided to switch to silver pants, the Raiders would object.

An all-Columbia blue - or, even more egregious: Columbia blue/white combo - should absolutely sound the alarm. That is dipping directly into the Titans' pockets and I think they have every right to prevent that from happening.

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just so grateful that someone realized this was to be Houston's team....not Texas'

macho GRANDE, ROCKSS and Blatz like this.
  9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The home uniform is growing on me. Love the explanations / breakdown of the process in this behind the scenes video.

#2949 Uprising, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  10. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

LOL But Hannah's salty.

I guess when you have nothing else...

Rvo384, ROCKSS and Uprising like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I can appreciate a good contrarian take as much as anyone. But not here and not now.

Imagine if the Texans b****ed about these unis and its overuse of the Texans' primary color:

upload_2024-4-24_14-17-24.jpeg

It's one thing to go after mimicry at this level (which was petty af anyway since it was the NCAA):

upload_2024-4-24_14-18-18.jpeg

It's something entirely different to act like you own an entire section of the spectrum of light.

12. MadMax

Titans lost alllllllll credibility when they went after UH. You retired the name...you moved the team....you adopted a new logo and new colors....but the university that plays in the city you left behind can't wear those colors one Saturday? Absolutely absurd. I'm not saying they have no legal right to make that argument...I'm saying it's utterly ridiculous and petty to do so.

There is nothing about any of the new uniforms that creates any confusion in the market about who the Texans are or who the Titans are.

Qan, macho GRANDE, ROCKSS and 3 others like this.
  13. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing in the standings either.

14. MadMax

POST OF THE DAY

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sheesh....DO WANT.

Honestly, I didn't have any hate for our previous uniforms / logo. I liked them. But this refresh is seriously growing on me....even that damn H.

16. Hey Now!

I would be willing to bet the Titans have data on how their stuff sells in Houston (which is probably their second biggest market? Certainly, their biggest market outside of Tennessee), and additional data on how well the Oilers stuff sells in Houston.

You're a lawyer and I'm not - but legally, I would have to think they're on pretty solid ground as every aspect of a team's brand is trademarked and held very closely by the teams (it's one of their primary sources of income).

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The Cougar unis were so bad ass in the Columbia Blue, I wish that could be their real unis

18. Hey Now!

Those were the Titans' colors before the Texans ever existed, making that a nonsense argument. But if the Titans broke out an all-red uniform for 2025, you can guarandamntee the Texans would (rightly) throw a fit.

If an owner were to make a list of its financial priorities, TV rights is likely #1. Vying for 2nd, with winning, would be its brand. It is an invaluable piece of their financial puzzle. They *ALL* protect it fiercely.

HillBoy likes this.
  19. MadMax

They made their pitch to the NFL, I’m sure, with all that data. They ended up with a compromise. My understanding is that NFL teams share in merchandising dollars, but I’m not certain of that.

Bud moved that team there and promised they’d rebrand…they did…at this point we’re not arguing over branding, names, even oil related themes…literally it’s ONE color. Just one. They certainly have the right to make that fight, but they look absurd doing so…and even more absurd doing so against a university.

Qan, macho GRANDE and havoc1 like this.
  20. MadMax

The Texans can’t stop another team from wearing all red. I could be wrong here, but there are 32 teams…the idea that you could protect a primary color seems crazy to me. There are other teams that wear all red. The Cardinals have worn all red. I’m not an IP attorney, but I have a hard time believing that any team can stop another from wearing red….with 32 teams there aren’t enough colors to go around for that.

J.R. likes this.