1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/5438772/2024/04/24/nfl-beat-writer-mock-draft-trades-2024/

42. Houston Texans: Darius Robinson, DT, Missouri

Having addressed their need at wide receiver with the Stefon Diggs trade, the Texans look to fortify the interior of their defensive line with Robinson, who last season recorded 42 quarterback pressures, 43 tackles (14 for loss) and 8 1/2 sacks. — Mike Jones

https://theathletic.com/5440564/2024/04/24/nfl-draft-rumors-news-latest/

• The Texans aren’t on the clock until the second round, but I wouldn’t put it past Nick Caserio to trade into the first round Thursday night. I’m expecting Houston to at least try, just based on Caserio’s history. He traded eight times last year and seven times in 2022. We’ll see if he starts calling Thursday.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen so many completely different players listed in our mock drafts that I don't have a clue of who we will end up with. It's a crap shoot, and honestly, I don't have a favorite player or position I want first. A 2nd round start isn't near as exciting as last year. I'm just hoping we find another gem, add some good depth, and don't draft guys with bad injury histories. We had far too many guys sidelined with injuries or placed on IR last year. I especially don't want guys who have already had reoccurring injuries or ACL tears on their knees.

At least I got to experience the biggest draft rush ever last year. I never in my wildest dreams expected us to make a move and draft both my favorite players by the 3rd pick. That was a once in a lifetime drat thrill for me. You'd have thought I won the lotto the way I screamed with excitement. Man was that a rush. I'm still coming down off that high.

ROCKSS, A_3PO, houstonstime and 5 others like this.
  3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I really wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back from 42. WR is considered the deepest position in the draft, in the first 2 rounds especially, and we aren't in need there so it would make sense to maximize value and let the talented players at other positions continue to slide while teams move up for receivers.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Here is the Chronicle’s final seven-round mock draft, starting with a trade:

Texans send pick No. 42 and No. 59 to the Eagles for picks No. 50, No. 53 and No. 161.

Second round (No. 50): CB T.J. Tampa, Iowa State

Analysis: I considered picking Ohio State defensive tackle Michael Hall Jr., who I heard the Texans are high on, at No. 50, but the Rams at No. 52 needed a cornerback, too, and I didn’t want to risk them picking him.

The Texans had an official visit with Tampa during the combine. At 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, he has ideal size for a cornerback. He had two interceptions, seven pass breakups and 44 tackles during his senior season with the Cyclones.

Three of those tackles were for loss, so he can play in run support. And he fills a need opposite of Derek Stingley Jr.

Second round (No. 53): DT Michael Hall Jr., Ohio State

Analysis: There are two things I’ve heard: One, the Texans don’t want to leave the draft without getting a defensive tackle.

Two, they like Michael Hall Jr., the 6-2, 280-pound defensive tackle, who is a little undersized but hasn’t let that stop him from having success.

Both DeMeco Ryans and Nick Caserio love players who play for Power 5 programs.

You can see it in how they draft. They’ve never drafted a player that didn’t go to a Power 5 school. Hall fits that bill. He had 4½ sacks in 2022 and 1½ sacks last year and was third-team All-Big Ten. The hope would be that he could develop into a Day 1 starter. Defensive tackle is one of the Texans' few holes.

Trade: Texans send pick No. 86 and No. 161 to the Rams for No. 83 and a 2025 fifth-round pick.

Third round (No. 83): OT Roger Rosengarten, Washington

Analysis: Rosengarten played for the nation’s top offensive line last season, which also made it to the national championship game. He started all 15 games at right tackle and would be a good depth piece for the Texans, who are thin at the position.

The Texans hosted Rosengarten on a top-30 visit. At 6-5, 308 pounds, he ran a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. He could also potentially play guard.

Fourth round (No. 123): TE Cade Stover, Ohio State
    Fifth round (No. 127): RB Ray Davis, Kentucky
    Sixth round (No. 188): OLB Jalyx Hunt, Houston Christian
    Sixth round (No. 189): WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice
    Seventh round (No. 238): QB Joe Milton, Tennessee
    Seventh round (No. 247): LB Jamal Hill, Oregon

Analysis: Hill told the Chronicle he’s met with the Texans multiple times over Zoom. They told him they see him in the same mold as Christian Harris, who plays weakside linebacker.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  5. Housport

Housport Member

Interesting draft selection. I don't see 9 picks being selected. I liked the Cade Stover and Ray Davis selections the best. Kiper believes Jalyx Hunt will be selected on Day 2. i think the 6th round is too low for Hunt.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

No way Hunt's there in the 6th

8. Rockets34Legend

Round 2: No. 42 (Via MIN): Michigan DL Kris Jenkins Jr.
    Round 2: No. 59: Texas A&M LB Edgerrin Cooper
    Round 3: No. 86 (Via PHI), USC SAF Calen Bullock
    Round 4: No. 123 (Via CLE), Notre Dame CB Cam Hart
    Round 4: No. 127, Pitt OT Matt Goncalves
    Round 6: No. 188 (Via MIN), RB Isaac Guerendo, Louisville
    Round 6: No. 189 (Via BUF), Alabama EDGE Justin Eboigbe
    Round 7: No. 238 (Via New Orleans), Mississippi State WR Lideatrick Griffin
    Round 7: No. 247, NC IOL Dylan McMahon

ApolloRLB likes this.
  9. Rockets34Legend

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Although it's not a need, if we were to move back up into the first, Chop Robinson is someone I have a really good feeling about, I think he will greatly out perform his draft position.

raining threes likes this.
  11. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

hard to imagine not even taking a DT

RunninRaven likes this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Doubtful IMO because even drafts like this year's have a point where talent drops off and not every team wants a WR. Unless nobody Caserio is targeting falls to 42, they will select a DT or CB there.

FishBulb913 likes this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Excellent news

A_3PO likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If we trade up, DeJean needs to be the guy

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Rockets34Legend

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/24/2...news-caleb-williams-jayden-daniels-drake-maye

• A guy I feel a little bad for is North Carolina State LB Payton Wilson, who’s an outstanding player with really good tape. His medicals, for some teams, are disqualifying. In the takeaways on Monday, we had a rundown of guys with medical concerns, including Penix, UCLA’s Laiatu Latu, LSU’s Brian Thomas Jr. and Malik Nabers and Washington OT Troy Fautanu on the list. Toledo’s Quinyon Mitchell has a bit of a knee issue that’s come up, too, but it sounds like that’s more of a maintenance thing with some swelling that won’t impact his stock much.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Not liking those mocks. We need to get a receiver in the first four rounds. Too good of a receiver draft not to scoop one up before the later rounds.

houstonstime likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member