1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Presidents of Harvard, MIT, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, Penn should be forced to resign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 5, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Given this latest Senate agreement likely much more aid to Israel will have occurred under Biden than did under Trump.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like a lot of these kids are looking for a cause to get behind and the Palestinian one has been their most obvious choice for a while. It's been over 10 years since I was in college, but Palestinian advocacy groups were some of the most prominent on campus. On the surface it's easy to see why: a dispossessed people, routinely shocking imagery and violence, and cries of "freedom" to easily rally around. College students are idealistic and want ways to channel that zeal; Palestine has offered that for a long time.

My generation, and Gen Z now, haven't had the same black/white moral causes to get behind that other Americans did. We didn't have brutal communist dictatorships to fight, apartheid to rally against, or Jim Crow to tear down. The Iraq War did a lot to undermine our belief in the righteousness of the war on terror. The Palestinian cause was an obvious choice to turn to especially when so many domestic causes were either opaque (healthcare access) or politically settled (gay marriage). This is why I think the trans issue has so much sympathy among the young: on one side is a group of people claiming they need help and, on the other, is a vocal group whose opposition seems rooted in intrinsic dislike more than anything else. The young want to help those who need it.

This is to say nothing of the rise of intersectional theory in academics over the last few decades. Subscribing to it as a lens through which to view the world allows you to overlook the horrors of October 7 in the name of "justice" and make strange bedfellows which a terrorist organization that would kill a lot of your fellow protestors for being who they are.

#864 mtbrays, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is a good post.

These dumb kids should have a lot better choices to rally behind though.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Palestinian cause does have a romantic appeal especially to young people but as said before I think much of it is simplified and from what I see of the rhetoric from the protesters is that they have simplified it as much as many do the pro-Israeli side has.

Also while this issue is important given the range of things that directly are affecting Americans I don’t think it is or should be the most important. As in the “you don’t need to post your outrage” thread this issue has become a distraction and a way of virtue signaling whether it’s saying things like “CEASEFIRE NOW!” Or “GO IDF!” It’s a simplistic way to feel morally superior and signal your tribal identity. I stand with oppressed people of the world. I stand with westernized people.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and mtbrays like this.
  7. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's true. I think you "stand" with the mega-rich, corrupt, Washington Establishment that has stolen much of the poor and middle-class's meager wealth.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This rings true. Sloganeering is a way to show which group you belong to more than anything else.

The cynic in me thinks that students at elite universities are so detached from the realities of American life that they don't see people here that desperately need their help. I assume many of the students would describe themselves as anti-racists, but a problem with that broader intersectional lens is that all it does is verbosely complain. "Destroying the settler colonialist state" has no practical application to regular people. Sometimes I think we need a domestic Peace Corp where elite students get to help correct the problems in America.

9. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Western supporters of "Palestine" are typically extremely ignorant about the nature of Palestinian leadership and their horrific human rights history against the Palestinian people. They should read "Son of Hamas", for starters.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

When addressing any "issue", it's necessary to tell the TRUTH and the truth is that there is no such thing as "transgender", only people pretending to be something that they can NEVER be.

As well, putting children on puberty blockers and performing masectomies, etc., on them is EVIL and IMMORAL. Anybody who says otherwise needs a lobotomy.

11. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Obama and Biden have both abandoned Israel at times to condemnation by the radically corrupt United Nations. And you claim to "stand" with "oppressed" people. No segment of humanity has EVER been more oppressed than Jews.

12. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Is this another example of diversity making us stronger?

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

In case if you just tuned in...

Every intelligent, diligent, conscientious student should be imprisoned, from the point of view of Internet cockroaches and his alt user account.*

14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

While I may not agree with the protest, I defend their right to protest. The world is different now and were in a world of instantaneous gratification and now everyone has a camera to show every atrocity, contrived or real. To me, anyone who even thinks Putin is a rational person or who thinks Russia can be our friend is a complete idiot, but I was raised in a world where they are our mortal enemy and now you have people in congress trying to push their agenda and it freaks me the **** out. So, is it out of the realm of possibility that these kids see other "humans" being killed and not want to stop it? I support Israel, but I don't support them aimlessly killing innocent people which is why war fought in a public place with civilians is a no-win situation. This isnt WWII where you were on an open battlefield, this is a town in which people live. My father protested Vietnam and my grandfather thought he was a liberal hippie and people like my grandfather thought they should be shunned and jailed and were labeled radicals and that they hate the USA which was so far from the truth but it was the narrative at the time, this is much the same but with a million times more news coverage and opinions that are meant to stir the pot. This is not black and white, you have innocent humans being killed for no reason other than living in the city they were born in and most likely stuck in whether you want to be or not

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

K9Texan likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to time warp these kids to the LAPD during the Rodney king era

K9Texan likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She knows fat

AroundTheWorld and K9Texan like this.
  19. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

giphy-2794195011.gif

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m searching for the double standard here. Who is saying “kill the Jews” at these protests?