1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Cubs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

The only team to give up more runs than the Astros are the Rockies.
    We’re not that far behind either :(

Uprising likes this.
  2. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I must preface this by stating my wife watched about 140 Stros games with me last year.

I was on the couch last night and game time was close to coming on. Wife asked me, "You want to watch the Astros, or something else"?
    For the first time in a LONG TIME, I said we can try something else.
    So we watched Ugliest House in America. Fifteen minutes into the show I get the dreaded push notification. Down 5-0 in the bottom of the first.
    At that point I knew I had picked wisely.

IBTL, RustyHarden, Uprising and 7 others like this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Maybe we’re paying Abreu millions of dollars not to play. Did anyone ever think of that? Up is down. Left is right. All that crap.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

We give up the most runs in the first and the 9th, last night was just pathetic. After JP gave up all the runs early it was clear we had no spark, no fight, no nothing. I admit I am a "it`s still early guy" but I think the writing is on the wall, as another poster said, the core couldn't win a home game last year in the last series and that should have been a sign, but dam this is just sad. The team needs something, even if Espada isn't to blame he needs to go just to hear another voice, sit Abreau down and send Singleton back to AAA and call up someone or play ANYONE else at first................we are 10 games back playing in a crappy division, its not to late but its dam close if we don't do SOMETHING. Thank goodness we had new Texans uni`s to cover the stink of last night's performance!

5. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I have been a long time Astros fan since the mid 70's when I became old enough to understand the game. Was born in 66. I have seen a lot of bad, and was ok with it. Now days for some reason I am less tolerant of losing. Is it because I have been spoiled? We all suffered a lot dating back that far, but I never remember being angry at all about those old stumbling bumbling Astros. I want to think hey it's early, but I think once we find out it's not that early anymore, the horses had already left the barn.

I DO propose a firing. I do not think Espada is the choice. It needs to be our batting coaching staff. This offensive malaise dated all the way back to last year and is getting steadily worse. Take KBreau out of the mix, and we still have a cast of underachievers at the plate. It may make no difference, but at least it demonstrates some sort of acknowledgement from the front office that the train is off the tracks right now. This sit back and wait mentality from manager on up is not going to fly with most fans. Texans are the shiny new toy, and football reigns supreme in Texas from what I remember in my 30 years there. Money is tight. Am I buying that sexy new Stroud H-Town jersey or that Tucker Jersy that the player won't even be around after next year. Once Crane sees the funds drying up, he will sell or fix the problem. Problem is his insistence to play GM with Reggie and Bag's is part of the reason we are where we are at.

I will never speak ill of Bagwell from being a player point of view, but bro aint no GM. I would rather have Bregman help out in the off season. He has at least demonstrated that he can lead a fantasy football team to the promise land.

Sorry for the diatribe,

#345 Kemahkeith, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think the “new veteran chasing a ring” has been a core component of each team from 2017-2022. Beltran was that guy in 2017 and Brantley was that guy in 2019-2022. Beltran was diminished like Abreu is, but not to the same degree, and he was insulated by not playing the field. Abreu was supposed to be that guy from 2023-2025 and it’s not working out. Obviously the pitching has a big responsibility for the W/L record, but I think Abreu’s inability to fit the role he was brought in for has had a major negative impact on this teams culture.

Outside the box, maybe convince Brantley to start taking reps at 1B in MMP and sign him for the rest of the season when he’s ready. We know he’ll hit.

I am convinced that this team will not win consistently until Jose Abreu is no longer on the roster.

IBTL, 13 in 33, Stephen66 and 3 others like this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

I see Craig Counsell in the Cubs dugout, and I covet.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

[​IMG]

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  9. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

For the posters that are constant sunshine pumpers, how much longer would it take to decide for yourself that the Astros will not be good this year, if they keep playing .300 percentage ball?

(actually right now we're under .300)

ROCKSS and Stephen66 like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

Stephen66 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet you were convinced that Jon Singleton just needs to face the right pitchers to be successful?

Its still the pitching... Abreu has just become the easy target.

12. RussE

RussE Member

It’s going to be cold tonight at Wrigley. I’m guessing the Astro bats will too. This team needs jumper cables.

AznH-TownFan and htownrox1 like this.
  13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I just took it at +115. His 3rd and 4th hard hit balls of the season last night didn’t sway me.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

It’s the pitching.

Jose Abreu does not belong on a MLB roster.

Both things can be true.

Baba Booey, ROCKSS, Houstunna and 2 others like this.
  15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I wanted him in the off-season too. Cubs snatched him up quick though.

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. Radricky

Radricky Member

I’m looking forward to singleton hitting a dong tonight

Hank McDowell likes this.
  17. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Lmao

18. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Agree 100%

IBTL likes this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

There was a time when I thought Bregman was going to have a sure-fire hall-of-fame career. I didn’t think his 2019 numbers would remain that MVP-level high, but I thought he’d be somewhere close to his 2017-2019 seasons. He can still have good hot streaks, but I don’t understand why he isn’t more consistent. He has a good eye and people praise his “mechanics,” yet the last four years or so he’s gone through really long stretches of just not producing as a hitter.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member