1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade two top 4 picks for Coby White?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 23, 2024.

?

Would you do it?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. We Can Do Better

91 vote(s)
    91.9%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Gosh guys, be reasonable. We might end up actually drafting two guys and have that classic problem of "what do I do with two good draftees on a young roster that won half its games last season?". What an awful situation to be in, having to bring two top 4 picks along extra slowly to eventually take over from Holiday, Tate, Jeff by the end of the season. Who knows with this weak draft if we'll even get a player who can compete with those 3 players.

We might end next season with somewhere between 40 and 50 wins and have 8 young players in our core rotation. Then we'd actually have to pick our favorites and trade 2 or 3 of them for other players or picks. Sounds like a nightmare. Obviously, we have to get whatever we can for these picks so as not to fall into that trap. Look at how OKC has very few veterans, is that what you want?

Let's be honest. Draft enthusiasts have no faith in this draft so we can't possibly get anything of more value for two top 4 picks in a draft projected to be weak. Our hands are tied. We must trade these picks for Coby White, if the Bulls will even accept that. Adding Coby White to FVV, Amen, Green and Whitmore is going to actually have a bigger impact than any other player we can acquire with two top 4 picks.

Perhaps you guys are gaslighting me by voting so strongly against this idea. The choice is clear. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions like this. You have to give something good to get something good and this is a great example of that.

Where are the 3 people that appeared simultaneously and voted to go ahead with this trade? Why are you not out here supporting me?

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Another CF shortsighted move classic proposal.

Mathloom likes this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Mathloom likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jontro likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ja'Kobe Walters..
    Kobe Bufkin.

pippendagimp likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wheres the thumbs down button when you need it?

7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I get OPs point. This draft sucks everyone knows it. The value of a top 4 pick isn't fixed, it's dependent on the draft and so the ones this year aren't worth much. 2 top 4s this year might just be worth a lottery last year.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If by small chance they got 2 top 4 picks I would take the best deal for future draft capital over White. Skewing towards the deal they gave you the most chance of a higher pick next year.

Brooklyn may already give you top 5 next season. So something that gets you into the top 2-3 in that draft and you add that to the team may be the ticket to a decade prolonged run. It’s a lot off eggs in one basket. But if you’re adding that kind of potential talent to what is already here you got something. Something which is a lot better than Colby White.

Mathloom and highpost1388 like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Dude ain’t coming here to come off the bench. Do yall think about that with these trade scenarios? Players ain’t coming emerge to be sixth man especially if they’re already currently starting you have to ship out players to open up minutes . Thats why KJ Martin wanted out.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

If you look back historically, it's a high likelihood that one of the top 4 guys becomes an all star caliber player. There are drafts that people said were bad beforehand and this still ended up being true.

Just make the pick. Even if the picks flop Coby White isn't going to be the reason this team rises to greatness. This is like turning down a 10% chance at winning the powerball for a free bucket of KFC because "at least you get something" no matter what.

highpost1388 and Mathloom like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

OP taking his beef public!

Context:

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mathloom likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

JR!!! Why you busting me like that! :D

jch1911 likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

I really got him in his feels.

The reality stands. Two picks in this draft isn't worth much more than Coby White.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Let's not forget, Coby White is not just some random journeyman who turned in one good season--he was the 7th overall pick in a really good draft class, and he only just turned 24. In terms of raw talent, he is/was not considered far behind somebody like Jalen Green. He is a little behind schedule, but it's not that surprising to see him break out this season.

Do I think he is a future All-NBA caliber player, not really. He is just an okay defensive player (who can probably still get better), and is probably pretty close to his ceiling on offense. He probably caps out somewhere in the CJ McCollum/Dejounte Murray range, just pretty good in various categories but not spectacular at anything in particular.

I think he would be a nice overall addition to the roster. If Jalen doesn't work out and has to be traded or walks in RFA, Coby can take over as starting SG. If Amen doesn't work out as a point guard and is more of a small forward, Coby is a good enough playmaker to potentially start at point guard. If both Amen and Jalen work out in their prospective roles, Coby would be a great sixth man. He is young enough to make sense with the rest of our core and he fleshes out our depth in an area where we're lacking (backcourt shooting and playmaking).

Do I think he would be worth not one but two top four picks? No, that's like the pick haul you send out along with a young guy to land a true star player. Coby isn't that, he will almost certainly never be a #1 option, maybe not even a #2. But one top four pick? Sure. Two late lottery picks? Ehh, that's kinda questionable. Not crazy, and it might be worth it to us. I'd go along with whatever the front office decided.

But yeah, I would call and see what the price is for White. Good fit for us.

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two top 4 picks should open the door for just about anyone. When teams trade a good player for 4 firsts, those picks are usually in the 20s and historically don't amount to much. Two top 4 picks, even in a poor draft year, should have you in the driver’s seat. And I would want to use that to upgrade a glaring hole. For as disappointed as I’ve been in Green, I don’t know that White is better than either him or FVV. So, no, I can’t make sense of that deal at all.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

I want anyone in this thread to tell me who they think we could realistically trade two Top 4 picks *in this draft* for? The absolute best player they think those two picks are worth. Go ahead anyone. And if we didn't trade them, who would they draft and how would those players develop behind *checks notes* 6 other young guys. And if we don't develop them, how then would we trade them down the road? Let's say we have pick 2 and pick 4.

Go.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't really see why the Bulls would move him. It appears they're about to lose DeRozan, and I'm not sure if anyone wants LaVine, but he certainly wants out. That could push them into a rebuild. Coby is one of their few quality players young enough to make sense to keep with a rebuilding team.

I think they'd be much more interested in moving Caruso if they begin their rebuild.

#38 Williamson, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    MystikArkitect likes this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s say those two top 4 picks are #3 and #4. There will be two All-Star players taken from #3 on in this draft. The fact that there isn’t some consensus #1 actually gives a drafting GM a higher chance of taking the best player in the draft at #3. A chance at the best player in the draft and an additional All-Star is an opportunity any GM worth his salt would relish, and I doubt there is a single one that would forego that opportunity in order to get Coby White.

Mathloom and topfive like this.
  20. MystikArkitect

That's the thing...no one wants to answer the question. I'll give @Mathloom that. At least he said Lauri Markannen which I think the Jazz laugh at and hang up the phone. The Rockets need help today. Not a couple of scratch off tickets from a bad draft. They won't get playing time and they likely won't be developed much or even worse...showcased. Again....the Rockets need to win now. So who is the best player you can think of that the Rockets could trade #3 and #4 for? Coby White was a finalist this year for MIP and averaged 19/4/5 on a Bulls team that did a lot better than anyone thought....largely because of his ascension. He's not a world beater. No. Probably a Tyler Herro level player at best. So go ahead....give me a player that you think we could get in a trade for those two picks? And you can't add in next year's pick either. That's a whole different story as there's actual NBA players in that draft.