1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

this thread is confuse me. so is cam a good guy or naw?

dmoneybangbang and Corrosion like this.
  2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

There are no natural leaders. Leaders are made. Even Alexander the Great was the son of a king.

Also, if anyone tells you they are a leader, don't believe them.

Rashmon and pmac like this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He’s a selfish player. Other players don’t like playing with a selfish player.

Bo6, cmlmel77 and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think you believe in what you type. You got agendas with posters and see their options and then type something to attempt to "trigger".

No one thinks this sincerely.

5. fchowd0311

He doesn't believe in that statement. Last week he wouldn't have said that.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You say that a lot, I clearly see things differently. I am glad you are now speaking for everyone.

I believe Cam will be our best player in three years.

DD

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He has a chance to be the third best player if Jalen fails. No chance he is better than Amen, Sengun, and unlikely he is better than Jabari. Tari, your former hero, also comes into play here. I like Cam a lot and could actually see him as our starting SG some day, but your hyperbole is over the top. If Jalen sticks, he is more likely trade bait by year three than the best on the team. He does have a great upside if he matures into a team oriented player, and can keep his ego in check until he has a chance to start.

8. DaDakota

If you watched him play in RGV, he is very capable of being a team player.

His role was to score, his role will expand.

His aggression and attitude is what great players are made of.

Cam is likely to be our star.

DD

Jontro and NewAge like this.
  9. fchowd0311

The gap between Jalen and Cam is large. They are different archetypes also as Green has the mold to be a primary ball handler and Cam doesn't.

There is a baseline level of ball handling ability that prevents you from being able to average more turnovers than assists and Cam doesn't have that baselines.

Green had the same amount of tunnel vision as Cam as a 19 year old but still would never average more turnovers than assists because he could dribble the ball at a level where he could at least manipulate defenses with the handle without turning over the ball at a high frequency.

Then there is the fact that 19 year rold Cam and 19 year old Green have the same exact adjusted ts% while Green had a significantly higher percentage of his makes self created than Cam in their respective rookie years.

RocketsTerps and Stephen_A like this.
  10. fchowd0311

It's very obvious when you express sentiments you don't believe in.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Excited to see his growth from YR1 to YR2. He's proven that he can be an exciting scorer and he teased us the last 3 games as a passer. If he can further develop his playmaking and defensive skills, he'll be something to watch next year. Keep putting in the work young man!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. DaDakota

Fchowd0311 - you don't know what you are talking about.

I see Cam as our best chance at a superstar player on the roster now. I am sorry you and your Jalen obsession don't like it.

Jalen isn't it...never will be it, he doesn't have that DOG mentality, he is going to be a fine NBA player, just not a superstar player, Cam might be...Amen might be, Alpi might be......the rest won't be.

Cam is the best we have on our team, the best SHOT at being a SUPERSTAR level player.

DD

Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Give Cam an offseason or two of growth to improve the court vision, defense, and team ball. He’s freaking 19 guys. He’s on a rookie-scale deal with a cap hold that’s gonna look like the league’s best bargain over the next 3 years. Cam will continue to be one of the most productive scorers in the nba per minute. He’s one of the highest point per minute rookies in nba history, he rebounds well and he has the potential to be a good defender. Folks need to start recognizing that Ime was right when he said Cam will average 20 in this league for many years to come. Plus he’s got the dog mentality you can’t teach. Oh yeah, and he has the potential to be the best long range shooter on the team. I think he has the best stroke on the team; it’s beautiful.

It may take a couple seasons, to put it all together, but it’s impressive what we saw from one of the youngest players in the nba this season. You keep him; dont overthink this.

#1833 Aruba77, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Y’all have to understand this is all narrative driven foolishness by someone who is quite potentially the worst mind on the internet.

he tried to spin a false narrative of being some Cam super fan before the draft although there is no real evidence of this. In fact, there’s very little evidence of him ever saying anything that ended up being accurate. At all. Ever. His basketball takes include the fact that he was some generational preschool coach and yet he seems horrible at making any observations about basketball. Doesn’t stop him from putting down the coach or his anti-pet players.

The Cam narrative also serves because it side swipes Green. You have to remember that one of his great hopes at this point in his life is for Green to get traded so he is redeemed. Finally correct about something.

if you want to simplify everything, you can just go take a peek at any thread that discusses Kevin Porter Junior. it’s all about narrative and being right 24/7/365 on the Internet. Who posts complete trash over 100k times. Serious mental damage.

if your persona on the Internet is so ingrained in your soul that you can’t occasionally step away from some of your convictions, your inter-netting wrong.

even in some of the smallest villages in China, he is known as ****takes.

I was actually super high on Cam before the draft and there is a ton of post to prove this. But if you watched Cam this year and though he will be our BEST player, it is a **** take. He wasn’t even our best rookie. Don’t even think it’s so much about projecting as it is kind of taking a shot at Green.

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The last 20 games, Whitmore only averaged one assist per game despite playing 20+ minutes and his splits were a mediocre 42/32/70. Not to mention his porous defense. He has a long way to go to show me he can be more than just a sparkplug bench scorer.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It would be good if you Cam-lovers would stop using "he's only 19 years-old" as a lame excuse for all of his defects. Please just stop!

I know this might set some of you off, but flaws (especially character flaws) sometimes become worse as players get older.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

"when he gets a bit older". I guess you just can't help yourself because it's all you got.

18. DaDakota

His role in those games was to shoot, he wasn't asked to pass it as much - and he was very good at shooting.

The more he plays the more his game will open up for others to see, he is fully capable of passing and creating, he just doesn't do it much in his shortened minutes.

Every team that is looking to make a trade will be asking about him....for sure.

DD

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so I’m not trying to be lumped into some divisive category. Yes I like Cam’s potential. He indeed is super young and still learning the game. Not sure where your hostility is coming from.

AroundTheWorld and Rashmon like this.
  20. fchowd0311

And to be clear Cam does have a Jalen Brown level ceiling. So yes Cam has a route to where he can be a 20+ ppg scorer on a good team but it's obvious here there are some posters here who overzealously prop up Cam because they despise Green.