1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Per the minor league transactions page (if you are not familiar: go to the transactions page of any of the Astros affiliates and click the box that says "HOU TRANSACTIONS," that will give you all the moves in the system), Joey Dixon was placed on the FCL full-season injured list yesterday. Dixon was the Astros' 7th-round pick last year out of Stanford and made one appearance in the FCL after getting drafted.

Zen Tabak and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Current wRC+ of minor leaguers Dana Brown brought in from other orgs:
    IF Jesus Bastides (AAA) 173
    IF Jeremy Arocho (AA) 164
    IF/OF Trey Cabbage (AAA) 150
    OF Oliver Carrillo (A) 108
    IF Jacob Amaya (AAA) 103
    OF Cooper Hummel (AAA) 72 (22 pa)

Nook, No Worries and Screaming Fist like this.
  3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

This one surprised me, I have another pitcher to watch that I did not expect to be watching this season.

4. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I wonder if Cabbage is in consideration for 1B to replace Abreu

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I doubt it. Even though he’s producing at a high level, his k rate in AA is 31.5% so he hasn’t addressed that major red flag.

I would be very surprised if Houston moved on from Abreu before mid June, but if they did l would expect Singleton to get several weeks of everyday play before a prospect (Cabbage or Loperfido) was called up.

phasors28 likes this.
  6. Screaming Fist

The three players below are Loperfido, Leon, and Cabbage but not in that order. Can you tell which player is which:

Player A: 114.5 Max EV, 30% Whiff; 24% Chase Swing
    Player B: 114.0 Max EV; 27% Whiff; 18% Chase Swing
    Player C: 111.5 Max EV; 33% Whiff; 22% Chase Swing

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think it is entirely possible to kick this problem down the road by moving Bregman to first for his last season with the team. We have a few options at third that look pretty good compared to the first base options available. It really could be that simple.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m gonna go Cabbage, Loperfido, Leon

No Worries likes this.
  9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This makes absolutely zero sense.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I legit don't know who those pretty good 3B options are.

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I would love to hear a better idea from you.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, WUT

Htown Stros likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

1. Check the stats from Abreu’s BP. If he can’t hit 103 exit velo in the cage, he’s hurt. Put him on the IL. If he’s able to post 103+ in the cage, stick with him since the potential is still there. Give him another 100 pa.
    2. If Abre goes on the IL, call up Leon as a bench player and make Singleton the everyday 1B thru May.
    3. If Abreu is on the IL and Singleton doesn’t hit in May, evaluate Loperfido, Cabbage, and Hummel as options.

4. If they don’t project to fit the bill, check in with teams who started the season with no hope of the playoffs (COL, OAK, CWS, WAS) to see what they might be willing to trade on an early bird specials. Moncada, Gallo, Bryant, McMahon, and maybe Seth Brown might be options worth trying out.
    5. If none of that works, just try to make up for it in the aggregate and re-assess at the deadline.

Htown Stros likes this.
  14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

My list would begin with Dezenzo and Wagner. Both of them are better than any of the first base options not named Bregman or Loperfido.
    Too slow the season is lost before that has a chance to succeed or fail.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm sure Loperfido is player B but would just be guessing the other 2.

It does concern me that Loperfido rarely chases or misses when he swings but still has very high K numbers - that means he has spent too much time with Hensley and doesn't swing the bat enough and watches 3rd strikes.

Especially since AAA has the ball/strike challenge system so those calls would be largely overturned if he was getting bad calls by the umps.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Dezenzo is hurt and hasn't played a game (and I have no idea when he will) this year.

Wagner would be a big step down Defensively from Bregman and has actually played 1B, unlike Alex. IF Wagner was the choice it would be ridiculous to not just put him at 1B.

Zen Tabak, No Worries and Htown Stros like this.
  17. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Think about the future. Bregman is gone after this season. If you are not preparing for that now you are giving up on this season and next.

18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Even in a world where it made sense, there is absolutely zero chance Bregman is going to agree to go from a position he’s elite at defensively to play a position he’s never played in his life in a contract year. If you believe in Wagner’s bat or whomever, they would be the one moving to 1B.

That said, I personally would just play Dubon at 1B until they feel Loperfido is ready for a chance or until the trade deadline until we can hopefully pick someone up.

Zen Tabak and SamCassell like this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have no idea why Dubon can't play 1B but through all the Abreu issues and trying to get Mauricio into the lineup he hasn't.

So I think it's another situation like Diaz and Yordan where the organization has simply decided he can't do it at an acceptable level.

It would be really nice to see Meyers in the lineup occassionally. I know it's stupid because he's so good defensively in CF but maybe he can play 1B? He certainly hits better than the other options and it's better than him riding the pine.

AznH-TownFan and Htown Stros like this.
  20. Screaming Fist

Leon
    Loperfido
    Cabbage

Loperfido does watch a few more called strikes but the difference in CSW between him and Leon/Cabbage is like 2-3%. Hopefully it's just Loperfido getting used to The AutoZone.