1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game Theory/Sam Vecenie] Rockets Offseason Review

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Apr 18, 2024.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I mean teams like NOLA and OKC are good teams for a “star” like Zion where you can manage him in the regular season because you are otherwise deep enough to still get to 48 wins without.

The Rockets are a team that without that star (after giving up what they would need to) would not be competitive enough in the regular season to manage that star and just hope they are healthy in April.

OremLK likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think rim protection is more important than getting a good shooting combo guard who can take pressure off Fred, but I do think if we had a guy like Claxton instead of Adams it would give our team a versatile dynamic it doesn’t currently have. I like Adams and I like Jock and I think Bari will grow into his body and be able to play bigger. So I’m not jonesing for a big.

No Worries and J.R. like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol you really don't like Green huh

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Green sucked in April - but March was great - and sucked from Oct-Feb - so what to make of him? I am fine with trying one more year, he showed signs, but to me, it is his mentality that is weak, he seems to be a front runner who does great when he feels good but when challenged he struggles, that is worrisome.

Sengun - another promising guy with flaws........

So, what do we do....extend one, or both, or neither?

In the end, it will be an interesting offseason, I would personally look to trade Green.....but I think Stone is going to stay put.

DD

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

A backup PG who could limit Fred's regular season minutes is my top get for the Rockets this offseason.

BigMaloe and Aruba77 like this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Adams/Jock/Jeff/Boban would be gone in those scenarios, idea being that Claxton or Hartenstein is an upgrade at the backup 5.
    Maybe, maybe not…

7. cml750

cml750 Member

A healthy Sengun with Jalen playing at least 50% of his streak most of the season and a healthy Tari with Jabari and Amen getting better? I think that is top 4-5 in the West. If we get streak Jalen for the entire season we will challenge for the top spot. I definitely "run it back". These guys need a few years to mature. In 3-4 seasons Sengun will be in MVP discussions as will Jalen if he can figure out how to make his streak performance the norm.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, probably an upgrade but I don’t know. $16M-$20M+ backup center?

Roll with Adams and still have Landale in their back pocket.

Go spend on shooting. Or depth if Holiday, Bullock, Green, and/or Tate are leaving.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have Sengun and Adams. While Jabari can play the five and switch onto the perimeter, I think we might need another, also... long athletic guy ....

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think there’s a decent chance Amen is the backup PG.

BigMaloe and BaselineFade like this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sengun and Tari will need time to get going. Adams is an unknown with his injury history.

Despite that, we need reliable 3 point shooting and defense, more than anything else. A veteran wing with athleticism would be awesome.

Unfortunately, they don't grow on trees.

We shouldn't sell the farm on Mikel Bridges.

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Donovan has shown he can’t be the main guy in a championship team and yet it sound like ppl are ready to supermax him and sete for first round playoff series

BigMaloe and saleem like this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

He can be a monster, but is never healthy in the playoffs

14. No Worries

Whose minutes would the veteran wing take?

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Circumstances dictate course of action. I don't think there has been a player have a greater difference between cap hold and actual salary in the last decade.

I think you make it absolutely clear to Sengun that it is your intention to extend him at the max but because of the unique circumstances, it will happen at X date - its best for the team's success and ultimately his as well.

You just don't throw away opportunities to take advantage of the salary cap when it's in your favor.

A $32.4m shift in salary can be franchise altering.

I don't think there has been a player have a greater difference between cap hold and actual salary in the last decade.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Where are you getting this cap hold figure from? I have seen it as 16.3m. Jackson said similar on locked on rockets.
    I still agree with you that we promise him an extension after we take full advantage of the cap space.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/2025/

Greens cap hold will be 16.3 million Senguns will be 7.6 million

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

BigMaloe and Y2JT like this.
  19. No Worries

Amen could be a point forward, bring the ball up and start the play. Amen and the PG could share the responsibilities.

That eases Amen into the role.

There will be teams that will game plan Amen’s lack of shot. This will be especially true in the playoffs.

BigMaloe, albuster and saleem like this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not against trading Brooks.