1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I absolutely HATE sports betting it is a plague and should be banned

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Apr 11, 2024.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Look, I think Porter should be kicked out of the league - but how many thousands of targeted gambling ads - paid for by the leagues gambling "partners" was he exposed to as a teenager?

The bullshit argument the gambling industry uses is "well it's good that we're doing this out in the open rather than driving it underground, it allows us to catch these things" - sure it does.

The problem of course is that being able to gamble from your phone anywhere anytime of the day rather than call Dante at the Deli makes it orders of magnitude more likely to happen in the first place.

Easy likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Exactly. I throw a little play-money around on football here-and-there, and I have a guy (Josh not Dante)...I can totally see how doing things online could turn into a ridiculous problem.

3. SamFisher

I don't actually mind people gambling 'the old fashioned way" - be it some bookie or going to Vegas etc - at least there's some social interaction and ritual around that that's part of being a human, even if it's plausibly deleterious to health and wealth on net. Like I know the old fashioned I just had was bad for me, but I enjoyed it

There's something however, about the soul sucking medium of online gambling that removes the " work" if you can even call it that and renders the entire affair into a strictly cash-for-dopamine transaction conducted in isolation - which is bad like most of the Internet these days

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

What simple things has the internet not ****ed up so far?

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty wonderful, but it's also....not wonderful?

5. SamFisher

6. Buck Turgidson

Don't get me wrong, I might be great tomorrow...but hopeless yesterday.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sam finds online gambling uninspiring so I have no doubt he's got no problem of that kind.

8. Buck Turgidson

Do you not understand his point?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes and I have pointed out it's not that much of a problem in Europe where everything is a tad slow, a few posters are stationed there.

I can worry about another nation's problem as well but it's disingenuous.

10. Buck Turgidson

Europe is a nation?

I'm a tad slow and all, but still

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope but the European Union unites all those nations/governments under a roof.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's not just the internet. How often have you wasted time while the cashier has to fix or call a manager to fix something on the time saving miracle device? We moved along pretty well before those damned contraptions.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Porter was never an NBA player anyways. Nepotism was the reason he was in the league and that’s why he didn’t appreciate the opportunity. That’s how he could throw it away so easily

15. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Calvin Ridley was coming off a 2nd team all-pro NFL season when he got suspended for this.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It looks to me like the issue for the NBA is less about protecting the game itself and more about ensuring gamblers aren’t being screwed by insider cheaters.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The issue for the NBA (and punishment handed out) is clearly spelled out in the NBA’s Constitution & Bylaws. imo, the commish is just following clear language written long ago.

The league didn’t wing this.

durvasa likes this.
  19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There have been numerous point shaving scandals in college basketball over the years the NBA is just proctecting one of their biggest advertisers.

20. SamFisher

Great example dood.

European sports has thousands of fixed matches and it has been a persistent problem for many years People write academic papers about it because it's so pervasive

My guess is that the open culture of match fixing probably a consequence of those sports leagues being pretty crappy compared to the US big 4 so it's just accepted.

Can't be good for the sports, but it's pretty silly to imply that we could emulate that level of corruption here and get by with a nihilism - apathy cocktail.

MadMax and Tuckmose like this.