1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do what I can for the mentally challenged.....

See - case in point........what did KPJ plead guilty to again? Oh yeah, wreckless endangerment a Misdemeanor - if he had hit, it would have been a felony, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

DD

2. Ancient Moabite

Yeah, sure why (not)

15 games counts magically as a year of development under a team that is now being exiled and many on here screaming how park ball/and1 it is for players? Only by the anti I see.....

Green finished HS and played 15 summer (g) league games

As you being a so called bball coach....you definitely know better

But to each their own

3. Ancient Moabite

How do you equate yrs? Do you go back yrs according to Science?

You are the sleepy headed one here

Preparing for something at such big leap is diff than actually going out there and being LBJ, its once every blue moon......I knew it would be struggles like the list you are supposed to compare his true development to, so you won't be pulling out your Hair and burning your man-cave down because both Green and Mobley (on O) sucks

He didn't attend any NCAA program nor did a LaMelo overseas thing

But he did play in 15 summer (g) league games before being drafted

Did ego / brand etc play a part in his thought process while working with g-league handlers? Who knows

He is developing and now has reached that point where most who go from HS to NBA.....just make sure you add 15 game stint(or 1 season depending on who you ask)

It sure did ''suck'' seeing Green not get that POM, but at least the Fluke helped Ime get his COM award

Fluke season no.4 on deck

You prefer the final 23 game Fluke version

Or the March MVP level version?

Which version is the suckiest?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, now I understand why you are struggling to follow along, you don't know what a year is.

I'll help you out.

A year is 365 days.

Players who went to the NBA straight out of high school, went to the NBA directly following high school.... and most of them were mid tier at best.

Jalen Green did not do that, instead he signed a contract to be a professional basketball player right out of high school.... but not in the NBA, similar to Alpren Sengun and many, many others.

3 years later and Jalen Green is still a terrible basketball player.... and you're still desperately trying to make excuses for him, talking about how he's only a little bit behind where Monta Ellis was at the same point in his career as if that's supposed to be impressive.

5. Ancient Moabite

According to science 7 days is a year

And how do you sign a contract to be a professional bball player but have to wait a full year to actually compete against the NBA teams? That's even worse and behind the curb more than Others like Ellis and whoever else who should have done two NCAA seasons

Training for something for a year is not a positive when the actual experience is the key.... Which is why most of those HS to NBA prospects take off 4th season and beyond

You keep taking something that actually happened as an excuse

You won't post the Metrics of first 3 yrs because most would be worse than M Ellis/Harrington etc

Once again not making up excuses

Just showcasing how hard it is to project that group of players

And since you can't name a NCAA or overseas team he played for then he went straight from HS(with full year of no NBA games = stunted = only 15 gleague games = double stunt) to the NBA and is on point development wise amongst the other 38 players Metrics you are scared to post because it would not be in your anti Green metric favor

But giving M Ellis a shoutout was somewhat noble on your part......you could have easily mentioned Sanchez/Webster

Or even one of your favorite cliches.....Lou Will

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am on a see/saw with him, up and down...up and down.....much like his career so far.

DD

solid and deb4rockets like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One of these days hopefully you won't have to keep making excuses for why it's okay that Jalen Green sucks at basketball

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Me too. So far it's been more down than up as far as shooting.proficiency. Hoping to draft a young guy who starts out shooting better than Jalen's 3rd year of snail progress.

9. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I haven’t followed this full war over what year of development Jalen is supposedly on but if he voluntarily completely wasted a year of his development doesn’t that say something about him as well?

NewAge likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It was his annual post ASB hot streak....

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

One of the issues that gives me pause is how much of Jalen’s game is built on confidence, and how easily he appears to lose confidence, and then you see his play fall off. That’s not something you can just fix. It’s like the polar opposite of Cam’s mentality. Jalen showed some mental toughness this year, but he remains a confidence player.

so you’ve got the confidence issues, you’ve got the poor shooting. To me, paying Jalen comes down to how you feel about the likelihood of significant progress being made in those two areas. Jalen made a lot of progress in all the other areas, but these two are critical. I honestly don’t know what to think. I feel like the confidence thing could be something he struggles with throughout his career, and while I’m sure the shot will improve, there’s really no evidence to suggest that he’ll become a good long-range shooter.

jalen is one of the most frustrating prospects to forecast. I have to trust that our front office knows more about him and has the info to make good decisions. If Jalen isn’t “the guy”, paying him is a decision that could significantly hurt the franchise. Letting him walk for nothing in RFA would also be catastrophic (although less so). If he is “the guy” we should know that after 3 seasons.

Slim, AroundTheWorld and tycoonchip like this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If we want to trade him, then trade him. If we keep him make sure he's paid minimum wage. He's what you get when you order Kobe Bryant from Wish.com or Temu.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When it comes to Jaters platitudic analysis about "confidence" and inconsistent shooting is all they got.

It's such vapid analysis.

topfive and Mathloom like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Like what do you even do when someone says "he has a problem with confidence.... That's not something you can just fix"

Even if true Jalen's issue is confidence, can someone please tell me what problem a basketball player might have that is easier to fix than inconsistent confidence? 22 year olds around the world in every place and in every profession at every standard are figuring out how to slow-release their confidence and almost all of them eventually do.

Is it harder to fix than a non existent jumper?
    How about a confident player who doesn't want to play defense?
    How about being uncoachable?
    How about being slow?
    How about having a low ceiling?
    How about an extremely thin frame that needs years of muscle added?

lol come on Aruba. Some self-awareness here. If you had to choose one problem that's easy to fix this is it and when you fix it then it improves practically everything. That's an opportunity, not a problem and it's already been largely fixed. That's why Green's +/- on bad shooting nights improved over the season.

Here's how Udoka fixes it: f*ck your confidence. When you're not feeling confident, play defense and share the ball and get to the FT line. You don't have a confidence problem, you have a shot selection problem. We do what we did in your last 25 games of 22-23. If the jumper is not falling, you can still be a net positive to winning. That will increase your confidence in your game. Oh and just do some meditation before the game.

#714 Mathloom, Apr 23, 2024 at 8:49 PM
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024 at 9:23 PM
    cmlmel77 and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think we've all kind of accepted the "inconsistent shooting" narrative, but I kinda want to push back on it a little bit. Every shooter is "inconsistent" to some degree. Every shooter has hot streaks and cold streaks. Jalen might be more extreme than most, but in the end, it all stabilizes when the sample size is large enough.

He is not an "inconsistent" shooter. He is a below average shooter. We have a 225 game sample size to look at with him playing starter minutes, and he has been in the 33.2-34.3% range throughout all of those minutes, and was again this season. It is who he is right now. It's not a matter of consistency, it's a matter of he needs a f***ing get better as a shooter.

He will not be a #1 option, a superstar, a franchise player, a perennial all-star, however you want to describe it--unless his shooting is at least league-average. That's my prediction. He is not there yet. He needs to show us something in that area.

Y2JT, BigMaloe, j@amc and 7 others like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Well said. Inconsistency is a false narrative. If he improves his mechanics or selection and his % go up, then his inconsistency will simply go down. So is inconsistency really the problem or the symptom? Definitely the symptom if you ask me.

BigMaloe, j@amc, kspires999 and 2 others like this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I have low expectations for Jalen going into next year. His post-ASB bump happened twice before. This season it wasn't even sustained. In his last ten games he shot worse than his averages and it's not like those games were meaningless, we were a half game behind GS at the start of it. He posted the worst +/- of anyone in the starting lineup down the stretch, including that no show against Utah where he contributed absolutely nothing.

I'd be happy if Jalen can just contribute on a nightly basis. I'd rather that than him go supernova for 20% of the games while looking terrible in the others. A rookie like Amen showed consistent energy, defense, and IQ. Even if Amen never improves his game from today he'd still be a positive force on the floor. You know what to expect from him already. Three years in and Green is still playing well in flashes.

Downtown Sniper and Aruba77 like this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The bold is the most jarring thing for me.

The only thing Jalen has shown he is consistent at, is sucking the first half of the season at a minimum, then playing much better at the backend when the season is over.

This season, we saw him do what we always see, him sucking and then playing better.

Except the backend of this season turned into meaningful games the Rockets needed to win.... And he couldn't even continue doing the one thing he ever was able to do, but rather went back to being unwatchable.

Without a doubt he's shown you can totally give him huge dollars and count on him to get the team wins. Did anyone make it to the end of that sentence without breaking out into a fit of laughter?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, he hasn't really been very inconsistent in his career... he's been fairly consistently awful.

He doesn't need to get "consistent" he needs to get good.

20. jogo

jogo Member

Confidence is certainly an issue for Jalen. Watch him play basketball and it's evident. If it was easy to fix then he would've improved on it by now.

But it's not just confidence, it's mindset. He plays the game like he can do whatever he wants on the court at all times. The stepbacks, the taking a bad shot with 17 seconds on the clock because he thinks he's "on," the driving into a double team and getting blocked. He suffers from overconfidence and the lack of confidence when he fails. The mindset issue speaks to this. He does a poor job of looking at the defender and the defense and planning an attack. Ime has helped him some with this but he makes bad decisions regularly.

Jalen is a new father at 22. That weighs in his head. He can do whatever he wants but getting a woman pregnant at that age was a bad decision on his part or he got played. And he might have TWO OTHER CHILDREN right now. He said family and children are what drive him and then he sucked for the last nine games of the season. That relationship with that woman and being a new father are going to make it more difficult for him to focus on basketball and improve his game.

None of this takes into account shooting, defense, turnovers, inability to read a defense, etc.

Getting a 3 point shot will help a lot. I keep saying this and others do as well. And then some people act like the shooting isn't a big deal. For Jalen as a player, shooting is the BIGGEST DEAL and the most likely way to make him a good player. Increasing the FTs could help, too. That improved last year and looked like a strength. It regressed big time this year, though Jalen supposedly improved in every area of his game except shooting.

Little Bit likes this.