1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I absolutely HATE sports betting it is a plague and should be banned

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Apr 11, 2024.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what are dark patterns?

and if you eliminate people under 25 whose brains aren't fully developed, you might as will eliminate the GARM...

and the D&D

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sports leagues want it but this way lies horse racing

There's something super evil about the NBA and other sports leagues wanting to add younger fans and also add more digital gambling - these things should not go together

majicdonjuan, B-Bob, MadMax and 2 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, sounds about alright, you can at least do that to make it uncool with the youth......but the old folks are going to gamble as long as there is something competitive.....may it even be a snail or turtle race.

Tip jar bet on that?

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Almost everyone overestimates their own ability to know more than Vegas, but VERY few actually can do it consistently enough to be successful. It's damn hard to do. I bet a lot, but just for fun. It's just a form of entertainment, but I've seen plenty of guys try to make a living at it. For every guy who can, there are probably 100 who fail. But just about ALL of them are so sure that they're the exception to the rule.

Having said that, it's so damn fun!

raining threes and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do understand people that are frustrated with it and want to ban it but forbid it for others and the majority.

I do not really know about that.

raining threes likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not a betting man myself, and it would be easy for me to be against it.
    But life has taught me making something that people want to do illegal, just drives it underground where murky characters become in charge of things.

7. raining threes

You seem so bitter, you must have lost a lot of money. If not why do you care?

I'm not a gambler, but will occasionally drop 20 bucks on the lotto.

I'm glad those that enjoy gambling have the opportunity to do so.

GOATuve and basso like this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The next step always comes with creating loopholes for a price so only some benefit from the "Freedom" to exploit the foolish.

9. Buck Turgidson

Yeeeeahhhh...

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just read through the thread and agree with the OP that sports betting is insidious and annoying. I also agree that prop bets are the most dangerous being the most prone to corruption.

That said I’m in the camp that I don’t think it can be banned as it was already widespread when not legal and I think making it illegal just empowers the black market and empowers criminals. Like with liquor, smoking, drugs, and prostitution I’m for a highly regulated legal market. I also think gambling addiction needs to be treated like a medical condition.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sin taxes and settlement money form a big bottom line for many states that have nothing better to earn with.

They sued the **** out of big tobacco almost 30 years ago and won. Ended up making sure ads against cigarettes weren't too effective or they wouldn't be able to fund new schools or build new roads.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I am unaware of ANY income from permitting gambling which has resulted in ACTUAL revenue going to the schools or other public work as promised to get them lifted.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lotto is a form of gambling

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Precisely. The promise of school funding was a sham. Once passed, the money went to politicians.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was not just the school funding, those guys just took the original school funding and used it for other purposes......

And then took the lotto money and planted it there instead of the original money so that it seemed nothing much has changed or gotten worse....

17. Buck Turgidson

I want to play cards with you people.

B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like with some people they are so competitive that competition is an addiction. Even though they are successful, like being an NBA level basketball player, they have to continue to seek competition and risk.

This is like why Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley who even at the top of their games still bet a lot on all sorts of things.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The NBA's investigation found that Porter purposely limited his participation in the Raptors' March 20 game against the Sacramento Kings specifically to influence the outcome of one or more bets on his performance. Against the Nets, Porter claimed he felt ill after playing just three minutes.

The NBA also found that prior to the game, Porter disclosed confidential information about his health status to "an individual he knew to be an NBA bettor." A different individual associated with Porter also bet that Porter would underperform March 20 as part of an $80,000 parlay the bettor placed with an online sports book.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jontay-por...a-for-violating-gambling-rules-162005615.html

B-Bob likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Make an example and kick him out of the league.

ETA, LOL, I guess I could have looked at the thread title that announced the exact thing I was suggesting.

#60 Buck Turgidson, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024