1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Espada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Buck Turgidson

Mark Grace is just chock full of amazing stories (dude's a talker), I want to hear yours.

Will Clark, though, if I gotta pick one.

2. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

My aunt worked at Macy's in the Galleria in the perfume section. So the Cubs were in town and Grace noticed her and took a liking to her (she's not a slumpbuster ). Anyways he actually put a lot of effort into trying to take her out. She was dating my uncle Jerry at the time. He pulled out all the stops. My aunt didn't know anything about baseball so him telling her who he was didn't work. I was a kid at the time but she knew I followed baseball so she called me and asked who he was. I got super pumped and told her he was a really good baseball player and if she could get me his autograph it would be awesome. Her being an awesome aunt agrees to go go to dinner with him but only if she could bring me and her son Brian. They agree and we all go out. My aunt and him are getting pretty drunk and she excuses herself to go to the restroom. He had been really good about involving us in the conversation. My cousin wasn't saying much but I was probably blabbering like a faucet. He moves over to our side of the booth and says "little man what will it take for you to help me close the show with your aunt "? I really didn't know what he meant so I just blurted out can I have tickets tomorrow. He started laughing and rubbed my head and said you got it. When she came back unknowingly what I was doing I was probably the best wing man ever. She ended up dropping Brian and I back at her apartment and she hooked up with him at his hotel room at the Westin Galleria. She took us to the game the next day and he took really good care of us. He even gave me his bat after BP. I give her a hard time about it till this day. She said he was a nice guy but he kept doing something weird with his lips. Probably best I don't know.

That's my Mark Grace story. Agree on Clark

3. Buck Turgidson

*That's* a proper story. Good god.

Do you still have the bat?

roadtrip and GOATuve like this.
  4. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

It's a pretty amusing story that we can laugh about now that I'm an adult.

I do still have the bat. It's in my life storage unit. I always considered getting it autographed because it would lead to a probably hilarious conversation and a bunch of beers but never have done it. If If I was to do it I would want to bring my aunt with me and she lives in Longboat Key Florida now so the logistics would be tough.

I have a pretty solid Andruw Jones Men's Club story too. Has nothing to do with my aunt. Just myself and friends being degenerates.

Snake Diggit, IBTL, Radricky and 2 others like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10-15% of all my posts are for this reason. Or is it 50% ??? :eek:

I suppose I can go back to counting acorns now.
    Oh wait, I can complain about the batters eye again :rolleyes:
    Or maybe the Oxy sign at MMP ??? :D

#305 jim1961, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    IBTL and GOATuve like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I do this with many posts on this board haha.

jim1961 and GOATuve like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Meyers is having a great start to the season.

He is, without question, the best defensive CF on the team and currently 7th on the team in OPS+.

He started 7 of the first 9 games, but only 3 of the past 7?

Meyers 108 OPS+
    Dubon 89 OPS+
    Chas 88 OPS+

This is exactly what happened last year and Meyers started getting splinters in his butt and his bat got cold.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This should be the lineup every day until the Astros are either over .500 or 20 games under .500:

2B Altuve
    DH/LF Alvarez
    RF Tucker
    3B Bregman
    C/DH Diaz
    1B Singleton
    LF/CF McCormick
    SS Pena
    CF/C Meyers/Caratini

Dubon should be the primary pinch hitter and baserunner. Kessinger is a late game defensive sub. Abreu is hitting in the cage and resting.

The Beard likes this.
  9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would rather Belt/Loper at 1B, and if it is Jon no way i'm batting him in front of Chas/Pena

But I generally agree with you here

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

At this point it seems pretty solid that Singleton will give you a walk rate in the 11-16% range and a k rate in the 22-29% range. Those are perfectly acceptable ratios. We also know he possesses elite elite power having produced an 116 mph exit velo. So you know he’s going to walk and k at acceptable rates which means competitive at bats; the gamble is what kind of contact he’s going to make. If he figures it out then he’s Yordan with a few more strikeouts. If he doesn’t then you’ve given 100 pa to a weak hitter who still gets on base adequately, which is still miles better than what Abreu is giving and the experiment of hitting him 6th is justified given that maximizes his odds of success with a modicum of protection and a booost in confidence.

Tomstro likes this.
  11. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Jim make the call

12. phasors28

phasors28 Member

You're back! I guess you are allergic to winning!

13. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

What winning?

14. RussE

RussE Member

Not sure Joe is going to survive.

15. Qan

Qan Member

You guys think he'll last another month?

16. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Nope. It’s one thing to lose because of injuries. The offense isn’t competing and Espada doesn’t know how to manage a bullpen.

17. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

You can't leave Dubin in there for that long. What was he thinking? I've stayed off the blaming Espada train, but that was just dumb.

18. RussE

RussE Member

Not the way he’s managing. If they have a bad road trip he could be gone.

19. Qan

Qan Member

I guess there was a reason he couldn't find a manager job before this. I hope the Astros turn it around.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I was thinking he can't bring Brown back out for the 7th. At worst- the absolute worst - get him out of there as soon as he allows a baserunner.

Then Dubin can't face more than 9 hitters. Batters 10-12 were 3 for 3 and made a 2 run lead up to 4.

Pressly hasn't pitched in 3 days.

Once Dubin got 6 outs through the 8th, you have to give the 9th to Pressly, only down 2.

Little Bit likes this.