1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Payton Wilson is decent. Have him at 3, his tape looks more like vertical running and a lack of lateral movement on the second level.

2. raining threes

I dont see that, his mobility and read and react abilities are 2 of his greatest qualities. Kinda reminds me of Kuechly.

GOATuve and Sooty like this.
  3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Texans were to draft anyone at an offensive line position, I hope it is something like this: day 3 pick boom or bust type guy. Someone that could sit and learn for a year or so and maybe step in for Tunsil when he starts to lose a step.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

42. CB Kamari Lassiter, Georgia

Analysis: It came down to wide receivers Xavier Worthy of Texas and Ladd McConkey of Georgia and cornerbacks Max Melton of Rutgers, Ennis Rakestraw, of Missouri, T.J. Tampa of Iowa State and Lassiter.

I would have chosen Rakestraw — I’ve seen him on many draft boards as a late first-round pick or early second-rounder — but I think he’ll be gone by the time the Texans pick.

Lassiter has a great chance at being on the board, and he fills one of the Texans’ needs at cornerback.

Houston signed free agents Jeff Okudah and C.J. Henderson to one-year deals this offseason. But neither player, both of which were drafted in the top 10 of the 2020 NFL Draft, has been able to establish himself as long-term options yet.

Perhaps one or both could do that this year.

At worst, drafting a cornerback provides the Texans with depth at the position and a potential long-term solution opposite of Derek Stingley Jr.

Lassiter didn’t have many interceptions while at Georgia, but he was great in coverage. Opposing quarterbacks completed only 38.5% of their passes when targeting Lassiter in 2023. That was the second-lowest completion percentage among all FBS cornerbacks with a minimum of 350 coverage snaps, according to PFF.

He also allowed only 136 passing yards in coverage, the lowest figure among cornerbacks in the country.

Lassiter fits the bill of what the Texans are looking for. He plays for a big-time college program, perhaps the best in the past five years.

59. S Javon Bullard (Georgia)
    86. DT Michael Hall Jr. (Ohio State)
    123. RB Braelon Allen (Wisconsin)
    127. OT Javon Foster (Missouri)
    188. CB Jarrian Jones (Florida State)
    189. G/C Tanor Bortolini (Wisconsin)
    238. TE Tanner McLachlan (Arizona)
    247. C Drake Nugent (Michigan)

Sooty likes this.
  5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That would be an insane good first 4 picks

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Just finished reviewing tape and draft review (Beast Draft Guide) on Top 4 LBs. The guide has them rated below,,,

1 - Junior Colson (ranked #42 overall)
    2 - Edgerrin Cooper (ranked #46)
    3 - Trevin Wallace (ranked #86)
    4 - Payton Wilson (ranked #88)

Colson and Wallace both look solid, but their tape didn't really excite me compared to Cooper and Wilson. I'd be all about Cooper or Wilson, both are dynamic playmakers, but Wilson is just different. Payton looks like a TE, but runs like a WR. His instincts, acceleration, and pursuit angles are special. His size and ability in coverage would be an ace card against teams like KC/BAL (Kelce/Andrews).

His medicals are scary--double-digit surgeries since HS (ACL x2, multiple shoulder injuries on both sides). He also has shorter arms and will be 24 on Draft night. If he's available at #86, I'd love to see us jump on him, but I'd be worried if we take him at 42/59 unless our Med Staff is confident he'll be fine going forward. He plays like a Spartan charging into the Persians with no fear.

Cooper is not as big or fast as Wilson, but he's very good attacking LB/playmaker. He's the opposite of Wilson with an 80" wingspan/34" arms (30.5" for PW) and 22.44 years old on Draft night. He'll likely go in early mid 2nd rd, which means if we like him we need to look at him at #42.

Both guys had great years...
    Wilson: 138 Tkls, 17.5 TFL, 6 Sacks, 1 FF, 9 PD, 3 INT (1 TD); Unanimous All-American/All-ACC, Butkus Winner.
    Cooper: 83 Tkls, 17 TFL, 8 Sacks, 2 FF, 2 PD, 0 INT; 1st Team All-American.

If Wilson checks out medically, I think he can make an impact quicker with his size, speed, skills, and instincts than Cooper.

8. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Great write up @Shark44.

Agree they would both be great. I’m slightly higher on the Cooper in terms of run style on the field and ability to “quickly recover”, due to him being poor in zone schemes or going 100 miles per hour. But yes, if Wilson’s medical history checks out, I wouldn’t have issues either, he’s big and strong but slightly less on the lateral speed or change of direction… would’ve liked to seen him participate in the 3 cone to offset some things I’ve seen on tape but he should be productive at the next level!

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Nice write up!

Shark44, ROCKSS and Sooty like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...mel-kiper-field-yates-predict-first-100-picks

42. Houston Texans (via MIN)

Yates' pick: Maason Smith, DT, LSU

The Texans must continue to bulk up on the inside. Smith is an upside swing for Houston; he has the raw tools to become a disruptor as both a pass-rusher and a run-defender.

59. Houston Texans

Kiper's pick: Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia

Lassiter doesn't have elite speed, but he's a really solid corner. The Texans ranked 29th in the league in yards per pass attempt allowed (7.7) last season.

86. Houston Texans (via PHI)

Yates' pick: Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota

Perhaps no safety in the class has better ball skills than Nubin, who finds his way to the football constantly. He had 13 interceptions in college, including five in 2023.

Sooty and red5rocket like this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Maason Smith could be had later but seems his stock has been rising. He fits the height/weight of recent Niner dlinemen.

Housport likes this.
  12. Housport

Housport Member

Maason fits the profile of the type of interior defensive lineman the Texans need. Some teams may not clear his medicals and that's why he's seen more of as a 3rd round pick.

The Texans need a DT and a linebacker in Day 2 of the draft. The Texans will probably have to play the Ravens twice again and the Ravens ran the ball all over them.. Once during the season and again in the postseason. They have to get better with running QB's and stopping the run especially since the Colts have Anthony Richardson. The Texans need lots of Defensive lineman and want to rotate them in to keep them fresh. The Texans need improved linebacker play similar to the 49ers defense a couple years ago.

Sooty, Shark44 and red5rocket like this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Would love to replace penalty-prone desmond king with this guy with the 59th pick

raining threes and GOATuve like this.
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree, one of the things I noticed when reviewing tape on the Top 4 LBs was that Junior Colson was very good as a spy for running QBs. I love his story and he looks really solid, but I'm hoping Azeez can function well in that role.

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Maason Smith over Newton? Meh

raining threes likes this.
  17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Newton should be gone by 42

raining threes and Housport like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. raining threes

Great post

Wilson has exactly the kind of closing speed that's needed to keep guys like LJ, Richardson in check. He's also very good in coverage.

Cooper is more of a down hill player with really good closing speed. But doesn't have the coverage skills that Wilson has. Although I think those can be taught.

Difference is Wilson is a top 15 talent in this draft without the injury issues. Where as Cooper is a bottom of the 1st, top of the 2nd guy. Both are very good players and the question for me really is are they willing to risk 2-42 on a guy with Wilson's injury history. He probably won't be there at 2-59.

Shark44, cmoak1982 and red5rocket like this.
  20. raining threes

Wilson is better in coverage than Cooper is IMHO. You can't be good in coverage without great lateral movement skills.

Buck Turgidson, Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.