1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

We would 100% have it. Even with the horrendous dead 21 mil of brooks the rockets would have 48.8 mil in cap space by waiting to extend alpi. If he's extended this offseason, that numbers drop to around 26-27 mil in cap space. Again, there is absolutely ZERO benefit to losing that cap space, signing him this offseason is ONLY a bad thing.

Jalen green's cap hold is 31.2 mil, if you could get him on like a 4/100 extension (sounds ludicrus i know with how bad he's been for 3 years) that would be helpful to the cap as well (unless he's traded anyway)

Y2JT, pippendagimp and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the info.

astrosrule likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Encouraging to see him dunk again already.

conquistador#11 and clos4life like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Him being one of our best players, or, our best player. It was tough to have him go down. He does a lot for us. He's a scoring option, protects the rim at times. He is just such a big piece. We showed how much we need him, in areas. I am just going to be ready to get back on the court with him."

I think Jabari was probably a bit tired of playing C.

B-Bob, Dobbizzle, cdastros and 6 others like this.
  6. Holybats

Holybats Member

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

That’s assuming we don’t pick-up FVV’s option, right?
    FVV is a way better player than Mr. Cap Space…
    You have to say who you think we can realistically get in your scenarios. I’m not gonna get excited for Cap Space for capspace’s sake…

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I thought his responses overall (not just about Alpi) sounded more mature than last year.

Nope?

cml750, clos4life and RudyTBag like this.
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

At times..? Reported?

cml750, clos4life, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This is correct, we would lose fvv in that scenario. Still, having the flexibility is better then not having it, considering there is zero benefit to losing it just to lose it

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'd keep FVV and Adams (obv. depending on how next season goes).

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The depending on how next season goes is exactly why you absolutely have no reason to extend alpi now. You lose the flexibility while gaining literally nothing.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I get the point.

In addition, I think extending Alpi on a max deal now, but not extending Jalen could lead to friction.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Maybe. Jalen isn’t good enough for the team to care about his feelings though. Ten games in 3 years just isn’t enough, though his upside is still enough where i would give a cheap extension now

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

On Steven Adams - don't you think there is a chance that the Rockets might try to extend him early? Or do you think they would just let the season play out, at the risk of losing him for nothing?

Sorry, I am not a cap expert, would he be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season if we don't agree on an extension early?

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I love the absurd concept that there is "no" downside to refusing to extend a player like Sengun. If there is "no" downside, then why did 2020 draftees Ant, Ball, Haliburton, and Bane all sign rookie max extensions last offseason? Because you don't worry about nonsense like maintaining perfect cap flexibility when you identify a young, core player. You sign him the moment you can, because the "downsides" extend beyond the cap sheet.

cml750, clos4life, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I can see both sides of the argument here.

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I cannot, if only because I cannot think of a time a player like Sengun did not get the max the moment they could in the modern NBA. The closest counter-example is Ayton, and that had more to do with the fact that he really didn't deserve it moreso than cap concerns.

cmoak1982, cml750, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

With Adams, there's a risk that he might never be 100% healthy again. So they need to watch how he shakes out next season.

I like the dude. I really hope he'll get back to his former shape and be with us for a long time.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks, I agree with you both.

Just saying I understand @astrosrule's point of trying to maintain cap flexibility also. I see the logic, and I am pretty sure it is the "Daryl Morey" logic (whom I still respect a lot).

Personally, and I am obviously very convinced Alpi is worth it, I would value the "signal" of committing to him higher than theoretical cap flexibility. But perhaps they would only do that after they have made a decision on Jalen.