1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Really impressive game. If he can develop just a semblance of a jumper he'll be unguardable

pr0wler likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

His rebounding, stocks, and 2P% are insane for a rookie maybe-point guard. I think it will be hard for him to be a high-volume scorer without any semblance of a jump shot, but maybe it won't matter if he has a chance to be one of the best all-time defenders/rebounders/rim finishers at his position.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He still needs to work on his handle if he wants to be a guard.

Otherwise I think he can have a Andre Igudola type career/archetype which is still a all-star level key contributer to a winning team.

pr0wler, kspires999, Bo6 and 5 others like this.
  5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

We could always just run him as a 3/small ball 4 if Jalen keeps emerging as a playmaker whilst getting a little more consistent from deep. Jalen/Cam/Amen/Bari/Sengun doesn't actually sound ridiculous to me if Jalen can replicate his supernova run even a little. You don't need Jalen to be a savant pass-first point, he just needs to drive and dish every now and again because you've also got Amen and Sengun (who let's face it, is way better a distributor than he was used as this season with it taking a backseat to him finishing more plays) to playmake. If you could make it work it'd be flexible in point of attack if nothing else.

BaselineFade, Bo6, Stephen_A and 2 others like this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Just needs 2 kinds of shots. 8-10 ft floater and 15 ft FT line/elbow jumper or 3 pt. Just 2. And if he develops a 15 ft J that can be expanded to 18-20 ft. But needs 2 out of these 3 shots. I always compare him to Fox who is not a good 3 pt shooter but has an 18-20 ft jumper and floater game.

#1006 Stephen_A, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Fox is hitting .36 from 3 this season on like 7 shots per game. The only star guard I can think of who is “bad” at shooting 3s is Ja.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah i just saw that but historically before this year he wasn’t good but was effective for several years.

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I love this lineup if we use Sengun as the highpost hub. it has such dynamisms and we have a ton of variability with matchups. Tari as the super 6th man... sign me up!

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

His hang time and body control allows him to rise up, wait for the defensive move and then make the pass to the most open guy.

Normally you teach players NOT to jump before you know what you are going to do next. Amen's court vision combined with his physical abilities let him have more than one options when he jumps and still have enough time to process the right decision.

12. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Finishes the season strong with a triple double. Sky is the limit for this kid. This offseason will be huge

Y2JT, BallSoHarden, OremLK and 3 others like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi, Amen, Tari, Cam, Jabari

14. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Hopefully a Clutchfan with video editing expertise can make a highlight video of Amen's triple-double tonight, the spin move was great too.

Cam deserves one for playing an all-around game as well.

cheke64 likes this.
  15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Amen and Sengun are two definite max guys. You build around that assumption.

Y2JT, AroundTheWorld and BaselineFade like this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

He is a point guard. I definitely want the lineup around him to give him optionality To use his clear gifts inside. He needs to be the back up point Guard next year and then take over the season after.

Even if the ceiling on Reed Sheppard is questionable, I’m really digging him as the back up point guard and sometimes running mate for Thompson long term.

Y2JT and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

Put him in the starting lineup over Brooks and let him run point more and FVV can play off ball/spot shooter

He’s our point and needs more reps next season

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

All due respect, if you watch Amen and think Igoudala archetype, you don’t know what you’re looking at.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think nobody in history is that good and shoots 14% from 3........that is got to be a new breed.