1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t really care about Bridges take or leave him. The upgrade from compared to Dillon Brooks and Tari Eason/Can Whitmore potentially getting less minutes is not quite I guess but close to negligible.

What you said though is about the only way I would think it’s a good idea in that it increases the value of the 2025 swap to probably a top 6ish pick. That’s really the only way I would consider it.

gmoney411 likes this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Sometimes having an older, established player can help younger players flourish.

I'd strongly argue that neither Alpy nor Jalen take a step this year without the addition of FVV, Brooks and Jeff Green.
    Brooks for Bridges (and giving back a pick and swap) certainly would be interesting. The thing is, (a) we don't HAVE to pay him max money, and (b) if he is worth max money, 30-34 is still a viable age for an NBA player, he has therefore become an asset in a way those 2 picks and Dillon might not be.

3rd season next year for Jabari and Tari - that is 'go time' for young players, and it'll be interesting to see what either of them does. If just one takes a step forward, then we have an embarrassment of riches anyway. No sense having a rookie rotting in the GLeague if we could have upgraded Brooks for a superior version on both ends of the floor

3. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

I agree that upgrading Brooks is our best realistic trade option and Bridges is the perfect guy. This works for us off the court too as his contract expires sooner and it weakens Brooklyn next year which strengthens our chances of Cooper Flagg.
    My one issue is who on earth gets benched!?
    Moving Brooks has become a thing in my opinion because Amen clearly deserves to start and play more with Green and Sengun. However if we add Bridges surely he starts? Amen is not ready to take the starting PG job from Fred yet and nor does Fred deserve to lose it. In this situation I guess Amen continues to come off the bench which I do not like.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really don’t want amen to come off the bench either, but I could definitely get behind it in the scenario. FVV and Bridges don’t need to play nearly the minutes they have the last few years.

Sengun/Adams or Jock
    Smith/Eason
    Bridges/Amen
    Green/Cam
    FVV/Amen

I mean, I guess I’m crazy, but I see that team winning over 50 games easily.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I won't say Alpi and Jalen wouldn't take a step this year without FVV, Brooks and Uncle Jeff, but there is no doubt they benefitted from their presence on the team. At the beginning of the season, FVV, Brooks, Uncle Jeff and Aaron Holiday were the only players that had a clue running the offense. They moved around with purpose, knew what they were supposed to do and after 2-3 very ugly games, the youngsters followed their example. Alpi was a very quick study. Jalen was all over the place and it took him a very long time. Amen, Bari and Tari also benefitted from the example of the vets. Cam still has miles to go before understanding the concept of team offense.

Bari and Tari will be on the clock next season just like Jalen and Alpi were this year. Bari needs a breakthrough. His efficiency is up big time but he still disappears or goes ice cold too often. While his rebounding stats have improved, from Dec-Feb he averaged near 10 rebs/game. He has to bring that tenacity all 82! IMO, Jabari should be a 50/40/80 player averaging 17/10 while being a plus defender. That won't happen if he continues disappearing so often. The main concern with Tari is health because he's a very disruptive player, period. If he plays 75 games next season, I have no doubt he'll level up.

saleem likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know fans are excited but with or without Brisges there is no chance Amen, Jalen and Sengun will start together next season I will bet anything on it. Udoka is the most old school coach ever and still I will bet anything he's not going to start 3 guys who collectively average like 25% from 3PT range. I know fans think it's manageable with creativity but NBA coaches and execs don't. No successful teams do this. There's no evidence it can work in this era.

We have time for that. Amen has time. He'll eventually start at PG when everyone's shooting improves.

IMO the only thing the can change this is if we luck out and both Green and Sengun improve their 3PT shooting early next season so we can make the change during the season.

We were an elite defense and terrible offense before Amen contributed so I think keeping high scorers on the floor is priority if we want to climb the rankings.

7. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Give Brooklyn their 2024 pick back + Brooks for Bridges or draft Knecht. I love his game and confidence. I think he would be perfect in the 2nd unit. Please and I mean please no more athletic guards that can't shoot.

Y2JT, peleincubus and Aruba77 like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no to Bridges...much less giving up ANY of their picks/swaps back.

Again, let a contender deal BKN a number of late firsts

Corrosion, jcmoon and peleincubus like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

May 12th is our destiny. Rockets catch a break and end up with a top 4 pick ;)

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Bridges with an incredible 5 points in 24 minutes. His value has absolutely crated. The Nets saved us from ourselves.

fattz, xaos, OremLK and 2 others like this.
  12. conquistador#11

I like the guy being mocked to us at 9, Cody Williams. 6'8, 7'2 wingspan. Those Williams brothers can shoot bol'. Perfect for what we need with the rotation minutes near capacity.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think Cody Williams ends up going top 5ish.

Sarr
    Risacher
    Topic
    Williams
    Sheppard

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

Damn damn damn.
    I have no back up plan.
    Need pictures of all of these guys smoking a blunt in a skirt so that they can maybe fall on draft night.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lol, we still have 2 chances at a Top 4 pick. We don't have to panic yet.

16. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I need to see the lottery play out our position in the draft then start scouting the range. You can get a very good or sleeper player in drafts even at our mocked position.

Almost 20 game win improvement and we get a little draft fun as well, enjoying the season and progress.

BallSoHarden and Ancient Moabite like this.
  17. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

18. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Matas Buzelis?

19. xaos

xaos Member

Crazy to think @fattz said he'd have a hard time picking between Anthony Edwards or Bridges to build around

fattz and Ancient Moabite like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Just a helpful PSA: this draft is garbage. Trade out if you can’t get your guy.