1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 4/12/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 12, 2024.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They have literally nothing to play for and were resting their guys down the stretch against Utah tonight, so the Rockets should be able to win on Sunday.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's crazy though 0.500 isn't even enough to get to 10th place.

During Morey years 0.500 got you 8th seed. #inflation

3. PeppermintCandy

The exceptions to that rule were the 2009-10 season when they finished with a 42-40 record, and the 2010-11 season, when they had a 43–39 record (and the best record for a team with no All-Stars).

It was during the tail-end of the Adelman era, and their top scorer was Kevin Martin, I believe.
    Both seasons they did not make the playoffs.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

im blek like blade, but not as skilled and dies easily

Snow Villiers likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Although those teams were 42 win teams, they were more veteran based and you could see clearly who they can beat and whom they cannot.

This mixed group of vets and extremely young guys is different, they can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Quite literally.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah thanks for the fact check, I just based it off memory lol. But even then they were 9th/10th place at worst and would still make the play in if it were held at that time. In our case even if we got 42 or 43 wins we would still be 11th which is still insane lol.

7. PeppermintCandy

Yeah I agree with you. No doubt this year's West was exceptionally competitive.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it will stay that way as long as the Currys and Brons are playing and not retired and more teams are not naturally rebuilding.....giving way to the new generation of star players.

Or Lebron is traded back to the Cavs and stay there.

9. PeppermintCandy

Yeah I still rooted for those Kevin Martin-led Rockets as a fan, but they were firmly ensconced in mediocrity. Good thing Dork Elvis was playing 4D chess.

The current team is all about potential. Getting to over 40 wins with these young players is an achievement, but hopefully it's just the first step.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now that you say it Kevin Martin was an entertaining player, frustrating in the Playoffs as well but decent shooter whose mechanics were odd.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. WestendMassive

Referees are assholes

ramotadab likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh OKC didn’t have to add FVV, Brooks and Landale to get to 40 wins last year. Also this year they added Holmgren after injury.

We aren’t on the same track as OKC, and for right now that’s okay.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah... Comparing ourselves to OKC is setting a pretty high bar--they've done unusually well for themselves either by luck or competence or some combination of the two. Most rebuilding teams don't end up with both an MVP contender and that level of depth on their roster so quickly. We have the latter but not the former (yet?).

ramotadab and Nook like this.
  14. conquistador#11

You guys are forgetting that SGA wasn't 21 years old last season. 24, that's four full off seasons ahead of Alpi and Green. Their coach too.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Definitely. I see SGA is the main difference between our two teams. Our depth is comparable, our top prospects are comparable in age/talent to Chet & J-Dub.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The better analogy is actually ORL. The way ORL closed the 2nd half of their season last year to get to 35 wins. And now look at ORL this year. A good defensive team with offensive limitations. I think the Rockets are on a similar trajectory. This season ORL is at 46 wins. I can see that for the Rockets next year. Heck, just cutting out some of those dumb losses gets you to almost 46 for THIS year's team. And that is in the WC (vs EC).

17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

i don’t think we ever made the playoffs while Kevin Martin was on the team. Frustrating for sure.

ramotadab and don grahamleone like this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Just got caught the replay. Decent game, happy with the W.

Amen's baseline, like if he never progresses as a shooter, is still insane. His impact is just massive without scoring. If he starts getting buckets too, look out.

I am quite over the veteran presences of Jeff Green and Aaron Holiday. And if not for what Fred provides in leadership, I'd be ready to move on from his on-court play as well. I just think Jalen/Amen as the primary guys make this a much more dangerous team. Steady Freddy is an aggravating ceiling.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What about this as a radical thought for next season....

FVV being the 6th man?

At the very least he needs to reduce his minutes from like 38 mpg to like 31 mpg. He's getting too old to play that many minutes especially if we make a playoff run next year, he's going to be zapped if he plays 35+ mpg for the entire regular season.

I can also see steady Freddy having more load management next season. Hopefully the Rockets won't need him as much as a safety blanket like he was this season.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I mean, to me that's not a bad idea but a max 6th man and a career starter might not like it. You're dead on about his minutes too. The safety blanket comment too, that **** gets old to me. You know he's going to "make the right play" but you also have to know these guys probably love playing with Amen. He drives and kicks, if you get even slightly open he fires the ball to you immediately.