1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

Sainstritil is some sort of prescription dick hardener, right?

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He did play for the blue team

3. raining threes

Dude plays hard and has a lot of stamina.

GOATuve, Buck Turgidson and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I laughed way too hard at this

5. Buck Turgidson

Hope he's not too gritty.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. Agmaniacmike

Agmaniacmike Member

I want this guy, and his stock feels like it continues to soar. He's rated in the 300s (late rounds) on every mock site I've seen, but I could see him sneaking into Day 2 consideration easily.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...zz-rumors-news-prospects-mock-risers-sleepers

Miller's notes:

•Former Texas defensive tackle T'Vondre Sweat was arrested for driving while intoxicated last weekend. The Outland Trophy-winning defensive tackle faces a Class B misdemeanor charge after Austin police were called to the site of a crash between a SUV and a sedan at 4:41 a.m. on Sunday morning. Sweat was the driver of the SUV and was released from jail after posting bond. Considered a Day 2 prospect by most evaluators, Sweat's stock is in jeopardy following the arrest. The period between the combine and draft is often a test for prospects, and Sweat's arrest this close to the draft limits the time he has to explain the incident to teams and assuage concerns. Because of that -- and concerns over his playing weight at 366 pounds -- most teams I've spoken to believe he's a Day 3 selection.

•If you're looking for a player who may surprise on Day 2 of the draft, Western Michigan pass-rusher Marshawn Kneeland is your guy. He had 36 pressures in 2023, and the 6-foot-3, 267-pounder is seen as a plug-and-play defensive end who has the ability to kick inside on passing downs. Teams I've talked to don't think Kneeland makes it out of the top 50 picks.

Reid's notes:

•Georgia prospects Bowers and Amarius Mims held their personal pro days for scouts on Wednesday. This was the first time evaluators were able to see Bowers since the season ended, as he didn't participate in any testing or on-field drills at the combine. Bowers reportedly went through a full route tree in front of over 15 teams, including multiple position coaches. Mims, meanwhile, participated only in positional drills. There isn't a harder prospect to grade in this class in my opinion. The Georgia offensive tackle had only eight career starts but showed immense talent in those games. Ability isn't the question with Mims; it's the durability. He is arguably the most talented OT of this year's group, but he just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

•Illinois defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton will work out for scouts on April 16. In January, Newton had surgery for a Jones fracture in his foot that he played through for most of last season. He came in at 6-foot-2 and 304 pounds at the combine, and there are still some scouts who believe he's the top interior defender in the class. All eyes will be on next Tuesday's workout, though he's expected to do only positional drills, per a source.

Yates' notes:

•It was no surprise at all to see Iowa cornerback Cooper DeJean stand out at his personal pro day on Monday, though it was great to see him so close to his normal self just a handful of months removed from that significant leg injury that prevented him from taking part in the combine. What I find most fascinating about the draft for DeJean -- a first-round lock in my mind -- is what the team that drafts him has planned for him right away. DeJean's versatility is key. He was an excellent man-to-man cover corner, took snaps in the slot, played as an effective linebacker in some packages and was an incredible punt returner at Iowa. But some pro teams that I've spoken with have evaluated DeJean as a safety and feel confidently that he's the best player at that position in this draft. My own view: He's good enough to play so many spots that I'd be happy if the positional plan comes together on the fly based on how he develops during training camp.

•The word is out now on one of the most fascinating prospects I studied during this process: Giovanni Manu from the University of British Columbia. Manu participated in a pro day of fellow Canadian prospects at the end of March and had some jaw-dropping measurables. He came in at 6-foot-7 and 352 pounds with 34½-inch arms, and he jumped 33.5 inches in the vertical. Scouts had his 40-yard dash time at sub-5.1 seconds. Manu is a former basketball player and should be a developmental offensive tackle prospect at the next level. He might need a redshirt year in the NFL, but he has so much upside given his physical tools. I think he's locked in as a Day 3 pick who could go as high as the fifth round.

jch1911 likes this.
  9. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Any thoughts on taking Darius Robinson (if available) at 42?

10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Don't think he'll be there. He's been linked to the Lions a lot

raining threes and K9Texan like this.
  11. Housport

Housport Member

That would be really cool if he is drafted by the Lions as he is from Michigan.

raining threes and GOATuve like this.
  12. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

FWIW Mel Kiper projected Newton and Sainristil to us in the second round, which would be amazing, IMHO.

rfrocket, raining threes, Qan and 5 others like this.
  13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Could be available. Tweener build and not elite in his testing numbers. He’s a very polarizing prospect.

raining threes, cmoak1982 and GOATuve like this.
  14. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

raining threes and GOATuve like this.
  15. Sooty

That would be ace - his one pick I didn’t agree with is Worthy over Thomas and McConkey. Both have higher WR1 upside based on testing and production.

raining threes, cmoak1982 and K9Texan like this.
  16. Sooty

Nubin should be there around the mark of 42.

- Excels in run defense
    - Athleticism is above average but lacks recovery speed
    - Provides adequate coverage skills but can be exploited
    - Scheme versatility allows him to thrive in quarters packages
    - May encounter issues when matched up against larger, physical tight ends

raining threes, Qan, GOATuve and 2 others like this.
  17. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

He might be a fit for us at DT, although I know the Texans brain trust will make the right choice between him, Fiske, Oru (Clemson). I sort of like Kris Jenkins but I'm not sure that he has the pass-rush skills that I understand Demeco prefers.

From NFL.COM

Overview
    Right out of the gate, Robinson’s physical attributes should give him a potential advantage in head-to-head matchups. He has jarring power in his hands and a twitchy upper body to get rid of blockers quickly. His arm length is a weapon at the point of attack. His play can lack control and awareness at times, but the good outweighs the bad. He’s a good athlete, but his pass rush is predictable. He lacks potent moves and counters as an edge rusher, leaning heavily on force. Robinson’s power and motor increase the chances he becomes a good starting base end who reduces inside on third downs.

Strengths
    Has the length and measurables to have evaluators swooning.
    Plays a rugged brand of football and gains forceful separation from blockers.
    Creates consistent point-of-attack advantages with arm extension into blockers.
    Twitchy upper body can rid blockers suddenly when it’s time to tackle.
    Has size, quickness and experience for interior rush work in sub-packages.
    Will unlock an even better power rush with more polish and schooling.
    Above-average change-of-direction talent for a big end in pursuit.
    Weaknesses
    Rush off the edge lacks planning and focus early in the rep.
    Hasn’t developed go-to counters to reignite the rush when it stalls.
    Needs to find better angles of entry instead of a predictable charge down the middle.
    Recognition of play development is average.
    Play becomes too frenetic and lacking in control at times.
    Sources Tell Us

“He’s still learning to play and kind of reminds me of Keion White (Patriots second-round pick in 2023) with his traits and what he could become.” - NFC scouting director

red5rocket, raining threes and Sooty like this.
  18. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

If he is, do you think we take him? He's a guy that can probably help us right now, right?

raining threes likes this.
  19. Sooty

For sure! I like Hall, Robinson and Jenkins over Fiske based on production at college and think their skills will translate at the next level much better. Love Hall’s athleticism, size, quick first step and ability to maintain leverage.

raining threes, cmoak1982 and K9Texan like this.
  20. Sooty

Great question! Haha we have a few needs but if I were to only pick a safety and they’re all on the board, this is my guy! Absolute beast in coverage and against the run.

raining threes and K9Texan like this.