1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will the McNairs....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 16, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No it doesn’t say that. You said the McNairs are going to ask for a new stadium.
    Then you said you would tear down the dome.

Those aren’t the same things

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Slowly read it again.

I said they will ask for a new stadium HOWEVER, I also said the area needs to be enhanced. Which is what they are open to.

Nothing is concrete. Its just a talking point for now, a way to get ideas. Im just glad they are thinking along the same lines as the ideas I put out.[/QUOTE]

#62 hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize they do something new frequently right?

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I just think this time it's different.

raining threes likes this.
  5. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I'm more interested in when they'll sell the team to an owner who would know how to hire the right staff to take them to the super bowl.

raining threes likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

McNair said updating NRG Stadium, which has been home to the Texans since the franchise's inception in 2002, is also at the top of mind.

"We’ll see what our future stadium plans could be, but it’s definitely a priority for us," McNair wrote. "We are working in collaboration with the Rodeo and County to find the best path forward for all. It’s about the fans for us."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...r-reddit-new-jerseys-oilers-blue-18328472.php

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me it sounds like they have plans on doing more than just bringing in new vendors, providing WIFI like they did 10yrs ago and and giving the place a new facelift.

They are meeting with the Rodeo and County, which stands to mean, their plans are bigger.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're meeting with them because they're not going to pay for anything themselves. And I doubt they're going to do much (wifi? C'mon...). The Rodeo certainly doesn't need a lot of extra amenities... they'd still be in the Astrodome (and doing just as well) if it wasn't condemned.

Its a football stadium. 8-10 football games max a year. Make the tailgate/surrounding experience as good as possible, but nobody is making this place a destination venue.

When they're no longer in consideration for final fours, Super Bowls, World Cup games... that is when they'll look to do something significant.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think they are trying to avert from waiting until NRG gets to that point. We will see. Only a few owners can build new venues themselves. I just don't want this to turn into a Bud Adams situation. I lived through losing the Oilers. Remember, leases can be broken.

I don't want to lookup 5yrs from now and we're saying the San Antonio/Austin Texans or Memphis Texans

#69 hlmbasketball, Aug 25, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're not going to lose them. NFL franchise values are tied to market size more than anything now because all the money is from TV. That wasn't the case back when the Oilers were looking for a new stadium... and it was extremely short-sighted as the Oilers would be worth much more in Houston than the Titans are ever going to be worth in Tennessee.

Sure, there are still lateral moves like Oakland to Vegas... when the stadium situation is piss poor... but every other franchise move (Rams, Chargers) were unanimously approved because the NFL will take Los Angeles over St. Louis/San Diego regardless of the latter's stadium situations.

NRG is still in the running for major events now simply because its a Dome with modern amenities in a major market. If Jacksonville gets another SB or Nashville gets one, it will simply be token due to having a new stadium (as was Jacksonville's other one)... no chance of multiple occurrences or being in a psuedo-rotation.

They'll build or optimize something adjacent to the stadium that generates revenues well before they threaten to move or demand an entirely new building (unless again, the Texans want to pay for it 100%).

Rudyc281, cmoak1982 and hlmbasketball like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good assessment! I think that is what the outcome will be; another attraction adjacent to the current stadium.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree with your post but also don't see Vegas as a lateral move. Vegas isn't a typical media market to evaluate. I believe the NFL and the Raiders are betting big that "Vegas" will effectively be a national brand as a media market and have nothing to do with the local market size.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ironically, I just heard on Sports 610 that the Astrodome is a State Landmark, not a National Landmark so it will be easier to demolish or renovate.

I think the McNairs are looking to do big renovations

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe… but until they use another metric besides ratings (that are based on viewers which are based on media market size) to negotiate ad dolllars and tv deals, size of the market does matter.

Oakland/Bay area is a huge market… but their situation was not habitable there. Thus why I said lateral move.

I agree… the NFL will thrive in Vegas in a unique way/experience that will transcend the fact that it’s still a small media market.

15. raining threes

Cal, do the fans a favor and sell the team. That's the biggest and best change that could be made down at NRG.

16. raining threes

Unlike most I would rather the McNair's move the team than give them another dime of tax money.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

JamesC, IBTL and Blatz like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

BBQ the rats!

red5rocket and ROCKSS like this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

It needs to go...............I loved it as a kid, it was a part of my childhood and I will never forget the memories, but good LORD, blow that F***** up................hell, make it a huge party and I will gladly go watch it. Best memories, skipping school and watching Randy Johnson pitch a playoff game and dropping a foul ball and watching Dan Marino (my childhood idol) walk up the tunnel where I was sitting with my Dad.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Use to love the HS playoff football games there too.

desihooper likes this.