1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why great teams don't have starting shooting guards they can't rely on to consistently play above average. His shooting goes up and down each month, and when it's bad it's at a level at rock bottom for a starting SG.

I hear ya loud and clear. It's beyond frustrating to see a Jekyll and Hyde type player as your starting shooting guard.

Even more baffling is people thinking his hot month of March was the turnaround. He's gone up and down every month.

Star players don't have monthly averages that are terrible either, mixed in with a month of great shooting. Unless he consistently improves month to month next year, I don't want us to be the ones who go all in on him and pay top dollar starter money for a long term deal. Year 4 is his last chance in my eyes to prove it.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am patient. He has earned an off-season.

His ceiling is so ridiculously high that you simply can't trade him unless it is a treasure chest return.

He needs to get stronger. He is too weak physically to be consistent in a man's league. Hit the weight room kid.

glimmertwins likes this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm so glad he got yanked for that, and it was called out.

Amen had the man at the top of the key who then passed to a guy on the side - Jalen was towards the corner and this was his man to rotate to.

He didn't even feign interest in closing out.

Bang, huge 3 ball for Utah down the stretch.

But I thought he turned the corner on defense?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Strawberry Gum

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

All these things are true but dude tonight he was just lazy and selfish. He let everyone down. We win this game if he's giving 100% even if his jumper is not falling.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Tonight is why I can't really buy in with Jalen. Worthless game, nothing but pride to play for, and Jalen simply doesn't show any. There is a maturity and a consistency in effort that he just doesn't have all the time. He's good when it suits him, but never all the time. You can't win building around someone like that. Udoka is trying to shame that mindset into Jalen, but I don't know if it will ever work.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was in a much better situation, had to endure being punched in the face though.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is what they call extreme rhythm player, Tre Mann was that for OKC and they pinned him to the bench as the 12th best player but always hugged him out.

9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Next season should determine what contract he gets. If Stone gives him a max extension this off-season then it further solidifies my opinion that Stone needs to go.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's not getting traded because the Rockets would be dumb to give him up for a player that isn't an established all-star and unless said established all-star demands out that team isn't trading said all-star to the Rockets.

So the Rockets best bet is to bet on Green's talent and hoping he builds a chemistry with Sengun.

glimmertwins likes this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm wondering if it'll ever work as well. Dude is trash these days.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Jalen, Dillon and Jabari for Mitchell and Mobley.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lou Williams is his new comp

Corrosion and Arda like this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy to see all his confidence wash away this game. He looked more timid than his rookie season at times. I'm convinced he needs a sports psychologist or hypnotist.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's an insult to Lou Williams.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Jalen is basically gaslighting the entire fanbase at this point. Get him out of here.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Unless he is hurt, which there are NO signs of at all, there isn't any reason why Jalen shouldn't have been stat padding against a team like Utah. He should have gone OFF on them, but instead he didn't bother showing up and had one of the worst all around games of his career. I lost a lot of respect for him last night.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, although for me it's not a loss of respect, it's disappointment and confirmation that the progression I was hoping to see this season isn't there.

He's had several bad games against bad opponents, and several good games against good opponents. The only thing stopping him from being a very good player in this league is himself.

Corrosion and Hank McDowell like this.
  19. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I have been encouraged by the overall growth in Jalen’s game this year - to the point where I think his floor is as a good starter in the NBA. My frustration with Jalen is two fold - the broken mechanics on his jumps shot which I think is the source of his streaky shooting and overall poor outside shooting splits. His ceiling is probably limited with his current form where he draws the ball left to right starting from his left hip. AND secondly, my frustration with his Stans who seem oblivious to the mechanical flaws holding Jalen back from hitting his ceiling. I expect this board, at times, to be a tough read over the next 15 months as the Jalen Stans and Sengun Stans go back and forth over who is the franchise player and who deserves a max extension.

20. invocux

invocux Member