1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Which Corner does he turn when his Athleticism wanes......

utgrad97 likes this.
  2. Ancient Moabite

Its just the all or nothing is hinged on their fixation of the 3pt shot because before it was worst defender, no effort (diving on floor/picking up man full court etc) blah blah

This is why Green looks gassed right now, because in prior seasons he went off at this time but those games were not meaningful in PI race and he was not defending with same energy

If the anti club members are hitching their horse to him not improving and being more consistent 3pt shooter, then they exiled themselves from what they are going to witness this time next season

Especially now since he looks better at middie/rim finishing

I hope he utilizes the ft/elbow mid range, in both half court and FB and 4-5 per game attempts from three land, unless he comes out and hits first few, then you have to let him get off 3-5 more attempts on that alone

And the reason why I know the Anti want him to fail because I have come across not one of those members who have compared him to the other 30+ players who went HS straight to NBA.....the only ones who were better (than all) day 1 was Bron/Amare

Nobody on here ever compares Green to Ellis/KG/Lou Williams/JR Smith/Bynum/Harrington/Willoughby/J'Oneal etc during their first two to three yrs of development, which is why its so tricky and you don't knee jerk on that potential.....

The raptors did it with Tmac and didn't allow him to stay with Vince, bad move

Which lets me know their agenda is personal dislike and they are full of BS and just here to keep content going

It is what it be

#302 Ancient Moabite, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. Ancient Moabite

Same corner that dead eye shooters like Miller/Allen/Stockton/Nash etc took

When you body wanes(ages) it affects all, regardless of your go to skill set/athletic ability

But you may think they took another corner....AL

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Same thing can happen to Jalen. Some low level team could throw the max at him as a restricted free agent even though he may not deserve it. They may not have a player they feel has potential to build around, so they’ll give Jalen the max hoping he can be that guy.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Before it was all of that, now he's improved his defense a bit and he can make some very basic passes every now and again....but the issue is that he's still not a starting caliber NBA player. Also, while those things have improved from where he was, they still aren't strengths of his. He's still not a good defender...just no longer one of the worst in the entire league. He's still not a good passer, just not completely terrible at it. He is, however, still one of the worst shooters in the league being bottom 15 in the entire league in both FG% and 3 point% (ranked 132nd and 151st respectively) and bottom 30 in the league in TS% (ranked 166th)

Also, a couple people have brought up his mid-range...where he's shooting 39%....he's not good at that either.

I know, I know, apparently it doesn't matter that a shooting guard is incapable of shooting a basketball. The cope by Jalen fanbois gets weirder and weirder.

zjcblord21 likes this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think you knew exactly what I was saying. You just didn't like that I was focusing on his shooting. But I will continue to focus on that, sir.

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me ask you this question - who is the best player in the NBA that is an inefficient scorer? Is there one in the top 15? Top 30? Top 50? I understand that Jalen has improved dramatically in a lot of areas, and that's obviously good. He's become a much better player and his improvements should not be ignored. He deserves a lot of credit for what he's done. But people are focusing on his efficiency because it really is the most important thing. All of the top 15 players in the league are above average efficiency, and the real superstars are mostly way above it. So if Jalen is going to remain an inefficient scorer it puts a ceiling on what kind of player he's going to be. If you look at the top 50 players in the NBA I would bet like 45 of them would be above league average TS%. And even for the guys you may find that are below average, I would bet that they're only maybe half a percentage point below it or something. Jalen is four percentage points below average. I don't think it's wrong to focus on it.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you see the comments I am responding to?

There is a difference between me telling people they are wrong because they don't agree with an opinion that suggest Jalen Green is a star right now and has ascended.

I'm replying to people who are just saying "back to the same Green".

Or "I give up on him". Implying Jalen isn't improving in significant ways in almost every facet of the game.

I'm responding to comments that are actually dismissing any improvement. I am not labeling him a current star and telling people they are wrong for disagreeing about that claim. Sengun actually has made the case for being a consistent star. Green is not and I'm well aware of that.

I actually am worried about his shooting efficiency. But these things are on a spectrum and with overall context. I am worried about his shooting inconsistency but not at the point of thinking he isn't headed in the right direction overall.

I do think there are plausible explanations for his current 5 game slump and I think all are factors.

First teams are now scouting Green as the most dangerous threat in the team and scheme accordingly.

Second, he is the only player to have started every game this season and for the first time in his career is putting high amounts of exertion on the defensive end. Both these things can mean just tired legs. People will say he's so young he should have the stamina.

Young developing players are less prone to injuries. Young developing players however do not have more stamina than vets in their prime. They are conditioned for these long seasons for 5-7 seasons. The two way players have been conditioned to exert that much every at both ends for years. They've been conditioned. green probably isn't there yet to where he can still have all his legs underneath him for his shot to be consistent.

The hope is that it becomes the case that he becomes more conditioned next season to be able to exert energy on both ends consistently and still have his legs underneath him to shoot consistently. It's a worthwhile hope to bet on.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good answers, good stuff. Given what you've written here I was misinterpreting your posts, partially due to bad assumptions on my part.

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

I think you are not misintepreting him. He basically can't accept any people giving up on JG4 and says all of these people are lacking of basic basketball commen sense. Yes, I am quoting his own words. This is such an absurd and arrogant conclusion. Why can't people lost faith in JG4?

I acknowledged JG4's improvements and I also said I gave up on him because of his inconsistency and inefficiency, I don't see why these two can't co-exist. This guy is just going to an extreme level of can't accept any criticism against JG4.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You are going through an extreme level of not accepting that I don't respect your opinion.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You weren't misinterpreting him, he just retreated to the motte after the bailey burned to the ground... again.

Don't worry, he plans on rebuilding.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Everyone talks about the 3rd year leap. I think it's stupid to pigeon hole someones growth by a finite curve when the reality every player grows at different rates.

He had some really low lows this year. I think it shows character to battle thru the noise, depression and failure and come out better.

Jalen has shown incredible improvements in year 3 despite all that. I would say he's managed to improve every aspect of his game except efficency. That's amazing and at the same time a bit frustrating.

No way around it, efficiency is the most important factor at play here. It's a huge factor in his potential stardom or not.

That doesn't mean we should overlook it and diminish all the growth he's made. Jalen shooting 48/38/85 with last years overall game isn't a better player than this jalen shooting 43/33/80 imo.

His improvement as a ball handler is so much better. His facilitating and reading defenses took a jump. He improved his"bag". Hes managed to finish better thru contract. Hes rebounding and pushing the pace better. He's significantly better at defense. Not just man on man but also switching, positioning and communicating. He's been amazing at transition defense positioning. He's diving at more lose balls. Hes even boxing out a bit.

I, personally, prefer the growth he has had this year over the "efficiency" growth. I dont think 5 additional points accross the 3 efficiency marks makes him a better player than what he has shown and grown.

Do i want both? Of course, but I'm really pleased at Jalens growth because he's turned into a winning player. Not efficient yet, but a contributing to winning player.

To me that's awesome.

Rustyrig, BaselineFade, Bo6 and 6 others like this.
  14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yes, from that range he is pretty bad. the next range 16-24ft is okay. I am not trying to suggest that he is okay as a shooter, his numbers are there, he needs to improve, period. I am just much more confident that 8-16 ft will improve compared to 3pt shooting.

Strawberry Gum and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do what I can.

DD

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

So you just ignored the rest of my quote and cherry picked?

Why don't you compare his numbers to his proper development group (HS) and see where they ranked with rest of league at 3rd season and prior

Amare and James are the only ones who showed out day 1

Bringing up his mid range was to speak on how he should work on it this summer to take away from 3pt volume, wasn't really speaking on %, just like I didn't mention his at rim %, which he can improve on as well

The problem isn't shooting the ball (putting up shots)

Its you want him to shoot 50% from both 2/3 each game and since its not there you keep b****n bout it

I already seen it day one, call it baller instinct, knowing he would need full rook deal to get right

All those stats you posted don't mean jack if you don't post the most important stat and that is him going from 20 win to possible 40+ with this fluke as starter

Thats biggest reason why Ime will run with the fluke next year, available

While also improving his overall game according to Ime

I know I know, we all can't be actual hoopers, we just have to be Cowherd/Bayless and keep throwing out % shooting numbers while ignoring his actual peer class development

Compare his trajectory to the HS list of players and post the spicy shooting numbers of those dominant HS to NBA players

How did All Harrington or Jermaine O'Neal look end of third yr doing the same thing you just did with Green? Well their FG% may be higher since they were more down low, though Harrington would take it outside sometimes

My thing was always wait until next season was up

We just look at his development from a diff lens

You are looking at it from fanatic only

I Am looking at it from a actual playing perspective and the history of HS to NBA collective trajectory

Nobody is right or wrong, just diff degrees of thought

And you are consistent, gotta give you props for that

Just the fact that you can even type a BS compliment to Green shows the chinks in ya armor.....you so damn nervous

This is my Booby Dupes remix version of your weak compliments:

1. Green may make an all star game....but but but its only because he will be substitute for injury

2. Green may get another highlight dunk ... But but but the defense won't be set

3. Green may learn someday to shoot but but but he still was below league avg his first two plus seasons

4. Green may reach Brewer or Lou Will level one day, but but but but but but but but but by but but but but you are delusional to think he is anything close to Kobe8&24/MJ23

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. Ancient Moabite

Can you imagine how rough it is trying to convince Bayless/Cowherd when they are locked in on a narrative?

Green has to be doing something right when they are down to just the shooting(3s) which is tied to the monster ts%

Because prior they would bring the kitchen sink at Green, fingernails/dress/style etc

Now its just can he be efficient like the top 15 players?

Like damn, what they really want from the scrub/fluke?

The nervous countdown continues, for the anti members that is

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At some point you're going to have to stop making excuses for why you think it's okay that Jalen still sucks at basketball.

He's a 3 year NBA vet who has been a professional basketball player for 4 years now.

It's time for him to either perform like an NBA caliber starter.... and not just for 8 or 9 games out of a season.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Be deserves credit for no longer being the worst defensive player in the league and for being able to make some simple passes every now and again.

Him no longer being completely lost in those aspects of the game is nice, and its why they are no longer mentioned as glaring weaknesses despite still not being strengths.

The issue is, his scoring efficiency still is a glaring weakness.... he's still one of the worst in the league.

No one is suggesting he be efficient like one of the top 15 players in the league, but right now he's literally bottom 30 in TS% and bottom 15 in FG% and 3 point%.

For non- blind fanbois, that's a problem.

What "they" want from the scrub is for him to perform like a starting caliber NBA player.... for more than 8 or 9 games a season

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

A lot of Rockets fans are gonna be pretty angry next year when he gets a large Max offer from some random team. I think there's a lot of incentives on both sides to let FA dictate his next salary. I do worry he might take the foot off the pedal a bit if we give him a large extension this off-season.

Personally I would do something like 4 years at 120 million but I'm a betting man he'd rather go for a true max and let the season play out.

#320 Bo6, Apr 11, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2024