1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

His value may never be higher than this offseason. We should dangle him and see if any viable trades open up for him, but Stone has been dismal at trades so far so my guess is we still have him next year. With Cam we may not need him anymore so it could make sense to upgrade another position using Jalen.

2. jogo

jogo Member

This is a fair point. He would have to improve his 2pt% and FTR. I think it's easier and makes him a better player to improve his 3pt% but maybe he can't get it to 36-37% minimum. If Jalen shot 5 threes a game instead of 7.5 then that would be an improvement. But I think him getting the message that he's not a good shooter so he needs to take fewer shots is a tough pill for him to swallow.

Sonicbun8 and Mathloom like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To be honest friend, that's a very lazy argument. His value may never ever be lower than this off-season either. Saying his value may never be higher is only valid if the decision was already made to trade him, which is just a silly fan thing.

NBA coaches and GM's are confident that a player who improved with one year of good coaching/culture can continue to improve. It's really that simple. As Udoka said, we don't care about his first two years. Only how he responded to this year. The only criticism that can be levied on him is that he was slow to improve his offensive efficiency while having improved literally everything else.

You have to commit to an assessment of his value. No one has ever been traded because they're an upward trending 22 year old.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While it's true, he's "upward trending" the issue is the glacial pace of the improvement.

He's 3 years in and still has the lowest WS/48 on his team.... still bottom 10 in the NBA among qualified players in FG%.... still bottom 15 in the NBA among qualified players in 3 point %.....

At this rate, he'll be 30 before he's a starting caliber player.

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Man, you guys tricked me into believing the Jalen Green corner turn was permanent. I need to stick with my gut on this guy.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So shooting is the only thing you analyze?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Jalen Green has turned the corner! It’s for real this time!”
    “Jalen Green has turned the corner.”

The corner:
    [​IMG]

utgrad97, Downtown Sniper and T for 3 like this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

No sir.

9. fchowd0311

Okay so are you saying his defense, ability to draw gravity and generate offense for others has diminished lately?

In April is the Rockets offense worse or better when Green is on the court? Keep in mind the first half of the season the Rockets were better on offensive rating when Green sat.

10. fchowd0311

I'm actually getting frustrated from the fact some posters are complete ignoring everything about basketball besides shooting.

There are posters like @Aruba77 who have shat on green plenty but at least acknowledge that he is a different player than the first half of the season.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It's not that complicated. He has come back down to earth and has looked more like the player he has been his whole career. He has improved. If you can't acknowledge the regression though, you are the one with the bias problem, sir.

Consistently inconsistent.

That is the accurate evaluation of Jalen Green.

If he was given a grade for the end of the year, it would still be "I" for incomplete.

12. fchowd0311

So shooting is the only part you analyze?

Not how defenses play hon? Not whether his presence on the court positively or negatively effects team offensive rating? Not whether if he has become our best perimeter defender on the team minus Amen (ya he's been better than both Fee and Dillon recently).

So shooting is your only criteria?

13. Strawberry Gum

Jalen's last 6 games were solid performances if you exclude his shooting percentages - which are very important, I don't really know why we should neglect them- that is true. But there is a difference between improvement and turning a corner. "Turning a corner" implies star level play to me. Jalen's been playing like a decent ball handler guard with very good one on one defense -off ball can still be better and I'm sure will be- since the streak ended. He's not been playing like a star.

BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

The important part is the opposing defenses are guarding him like a star.

His shooting can easily be contributed to being the only player on the roster who's started every game this season with a level of effort on the defensive end he's never exerted before.

Seems like just something he'll get used to over conditioning where he can have a large load, exert high level of defense and still have the legs for a consistent jumper.

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I conceded that he has improved, but asking me to disregard his shooting when it is the single most important flaw in his game is absurd. So I will say again, yes he has improved as a playmaker and defender, but the biggest flaw in his game is still his biggest flaw. Minus the hot streak, he has been a volume shooter who can't shoot.

He isn't going to be a star unless he can shoot. He isn't going to be worth investing in long term if he can't shoot.

#295 T for 3, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Strawberry Gum

They are defending him like he is a star, because he's been shooting lights out during the streak. It doesn't mean he is still playing like one.

Conditioning could be a reason, yeah, but it's just a mere possibility. His shot returning to the mean is another one.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

The fear that Green creates has less to do with his perimeter shooting and more to do with how easy it is for him to collapse defenses off the dribble. Hence increased defensive attention is more like helps defenders caring less about their assignment and caring more about Green's driving lanes.

18. fchowd0311

Then maybe have some reasonability for your own word choice when you say "the same Green"?

Personal responsibility. You used wrong words that incorrectly conveyed your point.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s shocking how little people understand nuance. It’s all or nothing.

Green doesn’t resemble the player that was struggling to stay in the rotation earlier in the season. He’s clearly improved.

Rustyrig, Bo6, AlperenSengun and 3 others like this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jalen Green deserves a chance to play out his contract and the market will set his value. I'd rather be in this position than say Cleveland with Evan Mobley. Except in this case, Cleveland will probably give him a max extension even though he doesn't deserve it.