1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I was responding to this dufos below who doesn't understand how Bari scores(off of more talented players like Green and Sengun)

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rockets need 41. I mean if it happens it happens. We know what the team looks like when they playing actual teams instead of a starting 5 of rooks or non rotational players like Portland. Fluke streak is like the fake comebacks

they won’t be in the play in or playoffs. That’s settled already

3. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Jabari is going to be an amazing complement to Alpi the more his body develops. Year 1 to year 2 was a great improvement to his physique and handle on drives. I love his toughness. He doesn't take **** from anybody, but right now he's a boy battling grown men. That's not an easy thing to do. I wish he was playing in summer league again, but I'm sure he won't. His shooting and help side defense are going to make him a great piece when we're contending. I love the way all these guys fit together.

Amen - Jalen - Cam - Jabari - Alperen is such a good lineup when they're all in their mid 20s, and Tari has always excelled coming off the bench. Add in a solid backup PG, a shooter off the bench, and a big who can do some dirty work, and we're contenders. The kids just have to grow up, and we all have to be patient.

tagedieb, Sonicbun8, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

To those saying Jabari is more of a small forward--here's a long-but-interesting video about how power forwards basically are just oversized small forwards now

So basically describing Bari to the T. "Switchable, good-defensive 6'10, 6'11 floor-spacer" is basically the exact archetype of a modern off-ball power forward.

Zen Tabak and AlperenSengun like this.
  5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Love this video. Not sure I entirely agree that the league will become a PG, C, and 3 forwards, but he makes a lot of valid points.

OremLK likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen the video. i don't see it as a PG, 3 Fs, and a C, but with a switching heavy league....having multiple guys with versatility that can guard a variety of guys except the biggest and the smallest players, a playmaker (whether a PG or not), and a defensive anchor (center, unless a team has an offensively oriented center like Sengun) seems to be where the majority of the league is headed. Other skills like secondary playmaking can come from a variety of different guys. I look at the Rockets and they have basically all the defenders except a guy that specializes in hounding the small quick PGs and a rim protector, but I think Rockets are going to stick with Sengun because he's just better than most rim protectors.

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Great video! Thanks.

As for Jabari, I think he is missing a major element of a modern power forward. He can't move with the ball and as an extension to a lesser extent he is not a good finisher in motion and not a good rim attacker and he is not athletic, not at all. He is more like the Dirk-type power forward, which was modern 10 years ago but not anymore. He can still be a very valuable player if he shoots and defends well but lacking the other skills is something you need to address through team building. It is a problem if we have many players that needs specific type of players around to be successful. It is early for that discussion but Amen can't shoot, Sengun doesn't have a 3, Bari can't move with the ball. We'll see how they develop and if they can mitigate these weaknesses.

The guy on the video is also right on spot with shooting guards, which is quite relevant for Jalen green. It's good to see rockets investing on improving Green's guard skills and he seems to be buying that and actually improving. Well, he'll need to improve on shooting too but he is on the right track imo.

OremLK likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jabari does from time to time flash the ability to do that kind of one-dribble long-legged drive that has always been KD's bread and butter. Using his long stride is I think the key for him to expand his game, because he'll never be a great ballhandler. But yes, he is firmly an off-ball player. That's okay though, "only one ball" and all that. We have plenty of guys who can get stuff done on the ball (or at least project to, in Amen's case).

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I considered treating him more like a 3, though honestly more of a 3/4 (primarily a 4) to push back against his current role of being more of a 4/5 (primarily a 4). The video kinda talks about how power forwards either become centers or bigger small forwards, and I guess I kinda see him as the latter.

I basically do see the 3 and 4 as fairly interchangeable, though in Jabari's case, there are questions I have about how to maximize his skills. For his size, he seems to have decent foot speed on defense, can navigate screens decently, etc., so I kinda want to say he'd be better as a perimeter defender vs someone trying to roam/help as a rim protector (possibly more the role of a 4/5, though doesn't really matter as long as someone is effective at it). For this team, I wonder if someone like Tari, Amen, etc could do better at stuff like that. He can be a good rebounder, though I think having guys like Dillon at the 3 makes it a bit tougher for him (especially if he's playing the 5 role like he is now). Etc. etc. Not really a question of position per se, but how best to utilize his unique skills and how to further develop his body/skills. If he's going to be spending more time guarding perimeter players, you probably don't want him to bulk up that much (20-30lbs). But if he is going to spend a lot of minutes as the 5, then yeah you probably do need that extra bulk.

OremLK likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Super happy with how Smith has developed this year. I still think he is so young. There is a lot of room for his offensive game to develop and diversify. We truly could be looking at quite a different player a couple seasons from now.

That being said, his floor is pretty defined. And it is exactly what we need around Alpi/Cam/Amen.

xaos, Y2JT and kspires999 like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Boy does efficiency look good. Always hilarious when I see random folks trying to put themselves in a poor place regarding this 20 year old. Makes 0 sense. He would be going into his senior year at auburn this fall.

Continued growth in year 2. Now going into 21 and a big year 3 next season, yeah can’t wait to see it.

#1932 YOLO, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  13. Strawberry Gum

I love his jump shot. It'll suck to play against him when he becomes stronger.

AroundTheWorld and Sonicbun8 like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope so too. He does avoid contact, that's why I'm thinking Jabari plus the 9th pick for Brandon Miller would be better in the long run for Houston. I know Bari is a better defender though. @ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

I am all for tempting Charlotte to part with Miller but the deal needs to be Green and picks not Smith.
    Smith has a more consistent and reliable floor than Green. He is a more natural fit with Sengun. I reckon Smith ends up one of the best shooting 4s in the league. He and Miller in the forward roles with their shooting perfectly balances with Amen and Sengun who will do everything else but shoot.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't be surprised if Brandon Miller ends up being used as a Stretch 4 himself later in his career.

17. PeppermintCandy

That was some good looking offense. Almost all jump shots, but they came from all over the court.

YOLO likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For Jabari to not be Joe Smith, he needs to get physical 100% of the time. On offense and defense he needs to evolve into a bully.

I will be pleasantly shocked If he is ever able to add any sort of rim finishing, dribbling, or explosion at the rim. Poor guy has zero hops, high hips, and a dreadfully slow first step, all wrapped up in a rather uncreative offensive game If he is not in the mid-post.

He reminds me a lot of a sort of PF Klay Thompson. Lateral quickness, beautiful jumper. Would kill to see some more off-ball movement shooting out of Jabari as we go forward.

No way would I trade him. Would have to be someone really, really special. He is our future answer to Wemby.

Strawberry Gum and Bo6 like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Brandon Miller is the older of the two.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millebr02/gamelog/2024/
    Brandon Miller (23/24): 6'9"......21 y/o
    Gms.............FGA.....FG%.....3P%.....FT%....rebs.....pts
    Last 12.........16.3......45.9.....40.4......85.0.....4.8......21.3

Last 8...........13.3......48.1.....42.9......82.8.....6.3......18.8
    Gms.............FGA.....FG%.....3P%.....FT%....rebs.....pts
    Jabari Smith jr (23/24): 6'11"........20 y/o
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithja05/gamelog/2024/

I'd like to have both.

This is the luxury of having so many young players and draft picks.....let's trade some draft picks for
    players that are looking ready to take off. Future draft pick may involve more chance.

saleem likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Let's hope for the best. Glad to see you around bud.

ApacheWarrior likes this.