1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We got a disability with a Non shooting sg. This theory should play out with the fact that the Rockets this month are offensively better with Green resting?

Do you want him to hold on to the ball also when he gets the ball at the three of like with around 5 seconds left and get the shot clock violation?

2. jogo

jogo Member

Ok, maybe taking out stepbacks won't make a difference.

He shoots 33.1% on stepback 3's according to statmuse but 36.4% on stepback 3's according to NBA.com. Jalen shoots 33% on wide open 3's according to NBA.com.

He shoots a tiny percent of his 3's from the corners, left is better than right, and this percentage is better than his average. His above the break 3's (520 attempts) are at 32.7%.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1630224/shooting

3. jogo

jogo Member

"We got a disability with a Non shooting sg."
    YES, it will always be about the 3 PT% if he wants to reach his potential and be a star. If he is at 33-34% 3 pt% next year then the past has spoken. He can be a streaky shooter but he won't be a star that way.

"This theory should play out with the fact that the Rockets this month are offensively better with Green resting?"
    We can judge that in the fall and not in 15 games at the end of the season. Again, we've seen this before. We shouldn't have to put up with 4 bad months of basketball to get two good ones. I loved the winning streak but it was against bad teams. By my count 11 wins, 8 really bad teams and Cle was missing a top starter.
    Jalen has around the 30th most FGA per game in the league. He needs to shoot around 46% and 36% for me to be okay with that. He's at 42% and 33%.

"Do you want him to hold on to the ball also when he gets the ball at the three of like with around 5 seconds left and get the shot clock violation?"
    According to NBA.com, Jalen shoots 1.4 shots per game with 4 seconds or less on the clock. he makes 41.4% of these (45.2% 2 pointers and 26.1% 3 pointers). He's in the top 50 players for this number of shots, but again, he's in the top 30 for FGA.
    Jalen shoots 1.4 shots from 4-7 seconds, making 36% of these (42.6% 2s and 30% 3's).
    He shoots about 8% of his shots with 4 seconds or less. Also, we don't know how many of these are due to him getting the ball late and how many are because he dribbles around and can't get off a shot.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Aight so this definitely means when he goes to the bench to rest the disability is removed and now the Rockets offense becomes better.

5. MystikArkitect

Jalen should be traded but won't be. Stone and Udoka don't mesh. They aren't cut from the same cloth. Udoka is a results oriented guy. Stone is not about results. He's about looking out for his own kind. It's why KPj was given the leash he was and subsequently why the same will happen with Jalen. KPj should've been jettisoned the minute he stormed out of the arena and Jalen should be traded this offseason as his trade value will never be higher than it currently is. My suspicion is Jalen will be be allowed to start again next year and go into RFA. Already bracing for it and the onslaught of "GET EM 4" training workout videos from this offseason.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, the old "if a player is bad, why are the starters on the team as a whole better than the bench as a whole" truly brilliant.

Whatever you do, don't look at his individual numbers to determine his individual performance.

Even with that said though, if you look at the team's net rating with him on the court vs him of the court this season.... it's still a negative number.

I do feel for you guys, there's just so little for you to go on and you admitted your mental health is directly tied to Jalen Green's status on the team. Yikes.

7. Ancient Moabite

For whatever its worth most on here don't mesh but the content remains

The Lakers went to 4 Finals in 5 yrs and won 3 and out of that we learned Shaq/Kobe don't mesh (hated each other before reconciliation)

Pretty sure looking at the win jump total has Ime/Stone on same path as wanting to be successful

Ime isn't no fool, he from the Pop tree, which means versatility even within your own stubborn blueprint

I feel Green was one of the listed reasons Ime took the job and him n Stone probably agreed on two yr commitment to get him in line and more complete player

But stranger things have happened

Maybe Luka wants out

And of course Green is going to get more favored treatment and leash over KPJ

You would also do same for your very first rebuild pick as GM over a player you traded for with a 50th+ pick

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pretty much the same as when he was benched.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

If the expectation was that Green turned a corner, learned to shoot well and suddenly became a star, of course that didn’t happen but the problem is not with Green rather with the expectation.

It is great that green played like a true star against weaker competition and shot like a star, probably also with the confidence that comes playing against bad competition. That’s a good sign. Just take it fwiw and don’t overblow it or don’t overblow going back to his normal shooting. It wouldn’t last, especially when we were missing our best player.

after the streak, he went back to shooting bad, which is normal because it is hard to fix your shooting during the season. He needs an off season for that and it is going to be a red flag if there is no improvement next year. But he improved on tons of other stuff during the season and he is not the same player he was at the beginning of the year.

Green is improving steadily but he will not suddenly become a star player. It will be a big off season for him in terms of fixing his shot. If you think it is not worth the wait, that’s a valid opinion but if you think he should be traded because he hasn’t improved, I think you are just wrong on that.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jalen stats for last TWENTY FIVE games are good. Something like 24 points on 19 shots, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 45% from the field, 37% from 3 (i might be fuzzy on these numbers), net neutral/positive defense.

If he finishes the season strong it will be like 30 games with a great average for a 22 year old.

At that point it will be absurd to call that just a hot streak. There are no 30-game fluke streaks.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

in fairness you do want to see at least some modest improvement in shooting from year to year when you draft any player, and especially a shooting guard. The fact that there has been no real improvement in the shooting over 3 seasons is not a good sign, and the reason Jalen remains the prospect I’d most be willing to trade. But I’m also okay giving him one last yr to see if the shooting comes around as long as we have another alternative in the back court. Do not want to put all my chips on Jalen for next year. That’s why I’m so high on the idea of getting a Murray or Brogdon type player. Fred insurance and Jalen insurance.

Plowman, Little Bit and AlperenSengun like this.
  12. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Not an equal, but no team would want their star player leave in free agency without getting something back in return

13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It is fair to ask for some improvement in shooting. But we tend to forget how raw and young green was coming into the league and the Silas years did him no help. The way I evaluate him, he showed willingness to mature and to learn. He learned a lot in passing angles, court vision, decision making, taking contact. I take that as a promise to work on the shot in the off season.

by the way I think his mid range is okay. It is the 3 pt that he really needs to work on.

Aruba77 likes this.
  14. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t agree that he can’t be a star if he doesn’t make a higher percentage of 3’s - he would just have to shoot a lot fewer and become WAY better at creating for others in the pick and roll and off drive and dish - think Ja Morant type of player. He has two paths to stardom, but he has a ways to go on both paths.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like that I addressed this exact type of dishonesty earlier today only to see it pop back up a page later.... it's like the cope comes from the same playbook.

"It's like if you used a sample of the last 21 games you would see 26 points per game on a nearly 59% TS% and over 37% from 3.... looks like Jalen has been killing it the whole time right?

This obscures the fact that in the last 6 games he's scoring under 18 points per game on a pathetic 48.6% TS% and 22.4% from 3...."

Time to come up with some fresh cope my friend.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think something equal in return.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He's improved basically every area of his game this year minus shooting. Unfortunately that's the most important of his role but as far a growth goes it was a pretty good year for him. Fingers crossed the shooting can be not consistent because you probably aren't going to get what this team needs to take the next step in a trade that involves him.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This season he's hitting 34.6% of his shots from 10-16 feet, which is very much not okay.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

His 3pt shot leveling out is what he needs to tackle this offseason. Pretty much everything else has seen growth. Super pleased at how he has attacked and finished as the season has gone.

Trade him if it is an amazing deal. Otherwise let him go to RFA.

How many times did BTG post here in the month of March?

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Quite a few as always I assume.... but I was more focused on the Astros, Texans, and UH than I was a Rockets team that was dead in the water.

Now Texans news is all but over for a while, the Astros are a bit depressing, and UH is out of the tournament so I turn a bit more attention to the end of the Rockets season