1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How I learned to love Dillon Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 28, 2023.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If anyone listened to Sengun's post game interview last night they would see just how important this guy is in pushing and motivating him and Jalen. He will NOT let them sulk or get lazy. That is huge!

2. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

OK DILLON CREATING THAT TEAM CHEMISTRY

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He’s a positive asset and has played well for us this year. But a major milestone for this team will be when Tari takes Dillon’s spot. Dillon’s declining contract actually allows us to eventually move him to the bench. Stone deserves props for how that was structured (even if it was an overpay).

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You think he could be traded for positive value? a team would give up assets to get him? I think it would take at least one first rounder to dump his contract

5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lol. Dillon Brooks has positive value around the league. I definitely don't want to see him go, but if he's on the market there will be championship teams calling us

topfive, Tmac1Yao11 and BallSoHarden like this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Positive value? Stop it. If we could dump him for an expiring and only give up a protected first I would do it in a heartbeat. Unprotected….I don’t know. Nobody is giving us a pick for him though, he still sucks despite the fluke start this season and that was the high point of his career basically.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is why we signed him. To change the culture. ;)

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That would be really bad asset management, despite the numerous young talent on our team. Don't late your dislike for Dillon the player affect your judgement.

topfive likes this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Problem is he will be under contract in 25 which is our big shot at free agency, since jalen and alpi will be restricted, and FVV comes off the books. I would have rather given him 2/60 then the contract they gave him, if there was this weird need to have this terrible player on the team

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Dillon has largely played exactly like I thought he would, held in check by Ime limiting his shot selection for the most part. His field goal attempts per 100 possessions is the lowest in his career since his rookie year. That was the point of this thread and he has fulfilled that, but with that said Dillon is in the rotation spot that is keeping Amen on the bench, and Amen deserves to start, so Dillon’s time is numbered.

#90 CXbby, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    topfive, Bo6, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

In this day and age you rarely see star players move teams through free agency anymore. They'll just sign the massive extension and demand a trade the next year in which case you'd be better off keeping Brooks around for the salary filler. You're right though we should have massive cap space in 2025 if we release FVV and don't extend Jalen or Alpi but that cap space will probably at best land role players and not real stars just like last year.

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You don't watch basketball or understand the game. Dillon Brooks does the intangibles that don't show up on stat sheets. You just run to box scores and say ppl suck

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

LOL, hilarious coming from you of all people

14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Who me? The guy who told you all year Jalen would eventually break out when ppl like you said differently? Or the guy who said Brooks would be a great signing when the consensus was he wasn't?

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Brooks was a horrible signing, so you were wrong as can be there. Jalen overall for the season has also sucked, outside of one ten game stretch. So a big fat 0/2 there

IBTL likes this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No. The only thing that sucks is your basketball analysis as a fan. If basketball IQ could be translated to fans you'd be at the bottom with a few other posters

roslolian likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I honestly thought the Brooks signing would backfire horribly but it has been a really good signing so far.

Brooks defense isn't at peak Trevor Ariza level but he is still good defensively while also sccoring the most efficient basketball of his career and also displaying some playmaking ability. He has been a bit inconsistent as the season drew to a close but that may be due to fatigue as this season is also his career minutes played, next year when Tari is in the mix he should get less playing time and have fresher legs on the court.
    More than his box score stats though, where Brooks is important is in terms of locker room chemistry, getting buy in for the coach and being an enforcer for the team. When Bari and Jalen got attacked Brooks was the first guy on the scene protecting them, that's big for the young guys knowing their teammates have their back. Definitely a great pickup, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was an Ime hire since a vet like him would def be up Ime's ally.

The only issue I have with this signing is the Rockets paid top dollar for a distressed asset, Brooks at the time wasn't a valued FA signing so paying him 20M for 4 yrs was a missed buy low opportunity. However judging from the fact his contract is the only signging that was fully guaranteed he may have had other offers at the time, I guess we willl never know.

topfive and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My main issue with Brooks for next season is he is a obstacle in getting Cam, Tari and Amen(depends on his future of either being a guard or a wing) more playing time.

topfive likes this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yep!

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He already broke out yet it is the regressing after the breakout that had people jittery....