1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody got a powerful smart ceiling fan they recommend?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

My f-ing ceiling fan on High is like it is on Low. I don't think it was always like this.

So, I hear the DC brushless motor ceiling fans are all the rage now with their high efficiency and quietness. Does anyone have one? I need one for a 15' x 15' office room with computer and HT/HDTV all generating heat. 54" or 60" blades max. This room gets incredibly hot in the summer and I need a powerful beeyotch to knock that temp down! I want a LED light built-in as well. I noticed that there appear to be cheaper build quality ones in the $100s and the decent ones are $250 on up to $500 - $1000.

I'm looking at this one...
    Amazon.com: WINGBO 54 Inch DC Ceiling Fan with Lights and Remote Control, 4 Carved Solid Wood Blades, 6-Speed Noiseless Reversible DC Motor, Modern Ceiling Fan in Brass Finish with Black Blades, ETL Listed : Tools & Home Improvement
    but this one seems like a winner...
    Amazon.com: Big Ass Fans – Haiku L, Smart Ceiling Fan – Energy Efficient Cooling for Home, Bedroom, Office, Living Space, and More – 16 Lighting Settings with 7 Speed Settings – 52” - Cocoa/Black

The prices on these f-ing things man. Gawd.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've always been satisfied with some Hunter branded ceiling fans from HD, Lowe's, Costco, or wherever. And they've all been smart in the British sense. You know, "that's a smart looking ceiling fan" etc.

Buying randos off of Amazon seems risky.

Sajan and Surfguy like this.
  3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I have Big Ass fans throughout my DC and I swear by them, I didn't realize they were in this market, also if I am reading that right the $640 was for a 3 pack?? I am looking at going to a 72" inch for my house, I didn't even realize there were different sizes LOL.

Surfguy likes this.
  4. Surfguy

The 3 pack must be referring to number of blades? lol.

If I can live with white, then its $80 cheaper but I don't think I can. Kind of want the blades to match my wood grain laminate flooring if I can.

#4 Surfguy, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    ROCKSS likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Its good to be discerning about what’s going to be blowing you day after day.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

I avoid anything on Amazon that starts with CAPITAL LETTERS and I can’t pronounce it.

GUUGIO 120 Blade Fan. No thank you.

go buy a UL certified fan from a reputable store.

Xerobull and Surfguy like this.
  7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got the outdoor version of the Big Ass Fan for my covered patio to replace two old ceiling fans -- the single fan has performed significantly better than the two old fans combined.

ROCKSS and Surfguy like this.
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I have a few Haiku (not the L though) fans that I got through BigAssFans. They’re great, and customer service was really good, but they are a bit pricey. I really wanted one of those huge industrial big ass fans for my large porch, but just couldn’t justify the cost (the fan is one thing, but PROPER installation on that beast is another).

Surfguy likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I went a different direction a few years ago and got a powerhouse Lasko tower fan to supplement my ceiling fan.

It is so awesome I only use the ceiling fan occasionally during the day and never at night.

It's a lot easier to switch out a floor fan than change a ceiling fan, which I'll never have to do again.

P.S: After getting out of the shower, I turn the Lasko on full blast and it takes me about less than 1/2 the time to dry off.

10. Surfguy

I've got a Lasko Cyclone. It's a beast on High. It is loud as hell, though. Low is barely tolerable. I usually run it from a distance (in another room) and angle it to my primary sitting areas (desk/sofa) in the Office. But, I still think the ceiling fan is integral given all the heat-generation going on in that room. There is a doorway on one side of a 15' x 15' office and a double doorway on the left. So, I guess I'm trying to push the heat out and the cool in. I might need both the Cyclone and a high power ceiling fan used in conjunction wit da subfunction sheeyat ("stewardess...I speak Jive").

#10 Surfguy, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    A_3PO likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My ceiling fan mines bitcoin and streams netflix.

Surfguy likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

640 for the big ass fan that looks little is nasty work.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have a Hampton Bay Devron wifi-enabled that is controlled via a Hubspace app and connects to my Alexa devices so I can turn it on (light and fan), and control fan speeds via voice commands or via my phone (also has a remote control). . Easy enough to install and get working, haven't had any issues in the two years I have had it. It was about $320 I believe.

14. Surfguy

I think I was actually looking at that model on HomeDepot.com. The one I have now is Hampton Bay and I think the motor must be crapping out. Or, I forgot how weak this particular fan is.

Does it push a lot of air?

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fun fact: I am certain that I started that naming convention with CAPS and SEO-related words in the title on eBay about 8-9 years ago. I can't prove it, or rather, I really don't care enough to delve into the internet archive to do so, but it's my firm belief.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Had a similar issue.
    • The current fan is probably dated and undersized....if the blades are dusty it will absolutely not cool as well- you need to clean the fan blades, or no matter what you buy it's going to degrade in performance. For that size room you definitely want at least a 52" fan.

• You also probably want a 'register booster fan' to replace your AC vent. It has a fan to help pull more air from the duct. It absolutely made a difference in my office which faces the afternoon sun, and the ductwork is smooshed or something. Again, you will need to clean it.

• Lastly, and this is important, get a pedestal or some sort of other fan to face OUT of your office to pull hot air out and into the larger home area. Yet again, you will need to occasionally clean it.
    It doesn't help 100% but it makes the heat manageable during the day. I also wear a tank top and gym shorts.