1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ADVICE] Portable Air Conditioners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jul 18, 2006.

1. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Thats cool--Does it still have the original siding/doors/trim/floor? When I bought mine, they made photo-copies of the original neighborhood layout and plat from the 20's. Must have been fun for some county-clerk to dig those up.

2. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Well, the original floors are under the laminates I have now. When I first moved in, we didn't know what we were doing and got carpets because the floors had giant patches of playwood in them from where a previous owner cut out parts of the floor to level the house. Once we decided to go with wood floors, restoration was just out of the question. Moving a BUNCH of animals and ourselves out of the house while they did all the re-finishing for two weeks was just not practical.

Personally, i love the laminates. They are completely easy to maintain and are doing no damage to the original wood.

The doors are all replacements. The trim around some of the windows is the same. The trim inside, including the molding, is original. And the back room, which was an add-on "sleeping porch" has all original boxcar siding that is pretty amazing. Clearly hand done by one of the previous owners back in the 30's or early 40's.

The siding is also original with the exception of a few restored areas that had rotted. Hell, I even had the original roof buried under three other layers until my renovations last year. :)

4. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Wow, you did quite a bit of restoration work! Laminate is nice, espcially for damaged or old floors and it's easily taken out if need be.

My master has a sleeping porch that was framed in during the same time frame--1930-40. Currently it's a "Man Room" featuring a sports, hunting, and drinking theme but I will sacrifice it for a future infant....*sigh*

5. tested911

tested911 Member

Jeff I'm running into those problems too..

We recently purchaed a SPT (I think that is the brand ) I think around 10,000 BTU's stated and it can definately cool a 300 Sqft room without a problem..
    Unfortunately My whole house has bad insulation and I need to get new windows. I don't have 20k right now to do those sort of things so in the mean time I was looking into what might add to the heat..

I bought a Hygrometer and my humidity level inside the house is way to high.. Lowest it will ever get is 57% and thats in the room with the Portable AC unit. Downstairs it can get up to 64 % ... I have bought a Dehumidifier from Amazon and am waiting for it to arrive. I have a feeling if I can get my house down to about 35% to 40% humidity levels my AC ( Central Unit ) will be able to cool the house alot better but it's not enough. I know my Central Unit is drawing the moisture out of the air because at the side of the house the drip PVC Pipe has steady drips coming out. It's an older house but not as old as your so even the bathrooms do not have a vent to draw out the mositure when you take a shower.

So far I have spent about 400 dollars including shipping for the Portable AC unit ( Ebay brand new ) and another 193 dollars for a dehumidifier.

Future Projects..

I'm looking into the Radiant Barrier Paints, Spray on foam, etc.. to put underneath my Roof in the Attic. Suposedly that will block 30 percent of the heat coming in....
    Also will look at maybe getting a bigger exhaust fan or an extra for the Attic.

6. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BUMP!

Anyone have a recommendation for a self evaporating portable AC? Would want it to cool a 300 sq ft room.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I didn’t even know that ‘self-evaporating’ tech even existed until this thread. I learned something. No recommendations.

The Midea ‘U-Shaped’ window units are highly recommended though. The reason I mention it is because it puts the loud part outside of the room. If your setup is going to be semi-permanent, you may want to consider it.

8. Buck Turgidson