1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have finally lost FAITH in Jalen, we need to trade him.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, Apr 6, 2024.

?

Should we trade Jalen this summer?

1. Yes! Trade Jalen and pick for Mikal Bridges

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. No! Keep the team intact and Jalen will play better.

46 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. Trade Jalen but for another STAR

47 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Ancient Moabite

Starting off the season as basically the 3rd option as they spammed VV/AS is pretty damn good 3rd option to have at 19/20ppg

He is 1st/2nd option now and well his scoring boosted

His overall game has improved ....Right now he is running on fumes, being a 1st option with Udoka focus type defense is not a good recipe for ts% success

But at least the fluke had a good 30+ game stretch to ease the cold start

Green showed some mental fortitude this season.....the soft label disappeared like his bad defensive habits (comparing now to 1st season)

Next season it will be him and Sengun as 1-2 punch, VV will or should be third option, especially with extensions lurking for both, they will be locked in for the payday$

Dobbizzle and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He lead the team in both FGA and usage in the beginning of the year through the first 15 games or so. I don't think I would call that a third option. It's not like he was told to take a backseat to FVV and Sengun.

But anyway, putting that aside, it wasn't even my point. The main point I'm trying to make is that I don't think it's a very strong argument to say "every player to have a stretch like this has gone on to be a star." While that is true, you could do a similar thing with his bad stretch. I could find some criteria where I could say "show me a player that played this poorly for this long who ended up being a star" and you couldn't find one. And that's the Jalen Green predicament. No player has ever oscillated between MVP and scrub the way Jalen Green has. I don't think any player has been as good and bad in the same season as Jalen Green has. That's why I see him as such an enigma.

Strawberry Gum, cml750, Easy and 2 others like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Usage and shot attempts aren't a perfect way to determine pecking order.

A better way is to look at touches and time of possession with the ball.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh, I'll go there. :D
    Jeremy Lin? I mean... not as a Rocket... but still... :D

5. harold bingo

Supporting Member

He’s the prototypical example but I’d argue Jalen’s highs are much higher and his lows are lower

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Players have had these kind of swings within one season in the past, but they were younger players that were just getting accustomed to the league. ANT and Trae's first 60 games of their rookie seasons were terrible compared to how they finished. Jalen's a third year player so this kind of swing in performance isn't quote as reassuring, but it gives us at least some hope.

The opposite has happened as well. Linsanity was a month of dominance and winning basketball. Lin never came close to approaching those heights again.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’d be interested in the explanation as to why you think that way?

How many teams in league(when fully healthy) are there where the guy leading them in FGA per game isn’t at the top of their pecking order? Can’t be many.

I know Harden leads the Clippers in touches and time of possession by a mile and he’s clearly their 3rd guy.

9. fchowd0311

You were saying before the ASB Green was ahead of either FVV and Sengun?

On ball reps are different than catch and shoot reps. Green in on ball reps was a third option.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ok that’s not exactly an answer to my question, but here’s the numbers up until Sengun got hurt….

Touches per game
    1. FVV : 80.5
    2. Sengun : 61.4
    3. Green : 57.7

Time of possession per game
    1. FVV : 6.6 minutes
    2. Green : 4.0 minutes
    3. Sengun : 2.4 minutes

FGA per game
    1. Sengun : 15.6
    2. Green : 15.5
    3. FVV : 13.4

I’d find it hard to argue that those point to Green as 3rd on the “pecking order”

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

So what were the top three pecking order?

I expect Green to have more time of possession than Sengun from the nature of being a guard who brings the ball up a lot.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would argue our pecking order isn’t like what you see from most teams where there are clear delineations down the line. Just about as close as you can get to 3 guys sharing the top spot.

AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fair enough. I do think part of Green's March was increased on ball reps getting him into rhythm. Not even saying its a good thing because its currently one of his flaws that he needs on ball reps to get confidence and rhythm.

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jalen likes too play ON BALL and he is suppose to be a rhythm shooter. Jalen is not a good shooter. He is a shooting guard and in the last three years and he cannot average over 45%(FG%).

15. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I wasn't saying that nobody goes between struggling and hot streaks...I think most players probably go through that in their careers. But the gap between the "struggling" and the "hot streak" is so much bigger with Jalen Green, that's what makes it unique. And I don't think Linsantiy, Ant, or Trae come close.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

I was going off more of the eye test

He is just naturally better at getting shots

When you say leading the team, was it a 3 shot gap?

We know the offense ran thru AS, with VV being man handler, so Green was spotting up and would get ball with clock running down and take the shot

Similar to what just happen this game, he was basically the third option on that play to end the half, and had to heave a 3 after getting the ball with 2/3 seconds on shot clock

You guys keep throwing out scrub because you are not comparing him to his HS draft class to get a better over standing

He is making young n silly mistakes but his potential and what he has flashed is enough to let it all play out next season

He won't be 3rd option next season, so expect up tick in shots per game, TS% / efficiency be damned(or not)

Well to make it real easy

Go compare his ups n downs to the other 36 players who came straight from HS and you will see the pic much clearer, and be proud of where he is overall

You know the anti folks are scared when the only thing they can cry about his 3pt%......

That's my word we had seven a scale
    Use to work with a Bird like Kevin McHale
    ---- FTG

harold bingo and kpdark like this.
  17. cml750

cml750 Member

I would expect the lows to be no less than 50% of the highs. Jalen's differences between his highs and lows are off the chart EXTREME. If a majority of his games were on the high side I would be in a great place when it comes to Jalen. As it is, his extremely impressive streak has brought me back to a VERY back seat of the Jalen train but if he starts off next year like he did this year I will be off it it forever.

18. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

The fault of this thread is not realizing the Rockets were never making the post season anyway. You wished too hard for something that was never going to happen. The sadness will fade once the draft comes in.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

did he show up this game or not to trade him

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he bullks too much he loses some of his speed.

His so called greatness is fleeting,.......and I still do not think he would be strong enough in this league for a lengthier time.