1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Theory podcast ranks NBA's best young cores (Rockets #5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 2, 2024.

?

Where should the Rockets' rookie-deal young core rank in the NBA?

This poll will close on Jun 1, 2024 at 12:01 PM.

18 vote(s)
    25.0%

20 vote(s)
    27.8%

23 vote(s)
    31.9%

8 vote(s)
    11.1%

2 vote(s)
    2.8%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I know I’m bias AF but I’m taking our young core over anyone’s. Especially if SA is out with OKC.

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No. If he looked like Stone, you'd call him low IQ & incompetent

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Thank you Rafael Stone

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Until talent gets put around wemby or he begins influencing winning by himself, I don’t think it’s justified to put San Antonio number one.

Drift Monkey and Mr.Scary like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lmao. I’ve never bashed Stone. Not once.
    And they do look alike. You were literally the only person that knew the dude was mixed. He is as white looking as it gets.
    If he was “white” you would hate him, just like you do Alp.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Is this best young cores or best young player? If it’s young cores, San Antonio sure isn’t #1. Wemby looks very good but no one other than him looks really special. Teams like OKC, Hou and Orlando are more well rounded with talent.

I have Hou at #3 right behind okc and Orlando for the simple fact that 3 or more players on those teams look to be at least possibly special. To me a core is more than one guy.

daywalker02, studogg and maypk like this.
  7. maypk

maypk Member

I'm laughing my ass off at this crap if I'm the GM of the Wolves or Thunder.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol and the Worriers just got Podz and Trayce Jackson Davis like that.......

9. xaos

xaos Member

Having Wolves and Spurs first makes sense because the teams most likely to win a championship will have a top 5 player on their team and Edwards has that trajectory and Wemby has top 5 of all time potential.

Rockets have the most players who have all star potential on their team, but no one who is currently on the path of a top 5 player. That's okay though, the best way to win a championship is to find a top 5 player and build around them. The second best way is to find multiple all stars (or even better, all nba) who complement each other. Rockets have that potential. I still think Amen Thompson has the highest potential on our team and his ceiling is Khawi Leonard with more play making ability. He just needs to develop a shot, which isn't a given. If he can do that I believe he has top 5 potential. Green and Sengun are likely to be All Stars at some point while Tari and Bari are perfect high level role players who can have a huge impact on the game. Cam is a bulldog, but has a lot to learn about team concepts, but fortunately for him he's just 19 and has a great system/coach to learn it. Personally I think the tank was well worth it and I'm so glad we didn't try to rush anything. Keep the core together as much as you can unless if a no brainer opportunity comes along and we will be title contenders for years within the next 3 years (which is a solid pace to returning to contention). I firmly believe if we went another route we would be 11th-8th seed without any future hope.

Ancient Moabite, peleincubus and Y2JT like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wemby is not the easiest to build around with as was building around Harden because that dude was just a One Man Show, nothing much left for others to do......than to defend and Wemby is the defender.

12. xaos

xaos Member

There's no denying Harden was a one-man wrecking crew in his prime but what does he have to do with the young cores of today? If you're suggesting that Harden will be ranked higher than Wemby when it's all said and done the only thing that's stopping Wemby is injuries. He'll be an all time great and the face of the league for years (if healthy).

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what the league PR wants you to believe but if he plays soft against the likes of Sengün I am not 100% convinced he will be better than Lebron or MJ.....we shall see.

Hall of Fame has watered down significantly.....it is not something as grand as it was.

The generation he has been part of it is not really that great to stand out of......he has to work really hard than just post highlight reels.....

14. xaos

xaos Member

I do agree that the league has done a good job at promoting Wemby, but they've also made watching Wemby very accessible. They showed all of his international games on the NBA app along with 2 G- league games. From there I was able to draw my own conclusion that Wemby is special. I got a lot of **** for saying he is the best prospect since Lebron way before that was a popular thing to say. In the last 20 years him and Lebron are the only two players that I thought could be better than Hakeem, and I rank Hakeem as the 3rd best player I've ever watched (Jordan/Lebron are ahead; I have been watching 25 years or so).

Sengun dominated Wemby and when I say dominated I mean embarrassed him. But I've seen enough of Wemby (maybe 10 pre-draft and 30+ regular season games) to know this guy is special and that one game isn't going to change my opinion. Single games shouldn't make or break your opinion.

I also don't think he'll pass Jordan/Lebron but that's 1 & 2 of all time.

If you think he's just a highlight player I seriously can't disagree with you more about any player.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has gotten that douche element to himself too early on, maybe it will get him to the finish line or it will impede him in major ways.

I only know that much, Popovich is senile or not really the guy that won those championships, .......if they want Wemby to succeed, they hurry up with the successor.

I really doubt that the new edition of the Spurs can pick up where the legends left off, it is the tallest order.

Their Front Office does not spell success exactly.

If Wemby leaves, and I think he would eventually leave the small market.......the Spurs would be in shambles again. (They could not even handle Kawhi.....)

#75 daywalker02, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Before the season I would have had a few teams ahead of the Rockets.....

Now after the Win streak not so sure ...... so off to next season.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

They're missing Franz and Bitadze we're missing SENGUN and Eason. This game matters to them, we're practically eliminated.

People really underrate just how many great young players we have. We are the deepest young team. Ranking us 5th among young teams is going to look bad in the very near future.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's two missed attempts by Green thanks to FVV holding on to the ball too long.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is such a sour grapes take it’s hilarious. You may be right - the HOF might not be what it used to, Pops might be losing it, Wemby may leave, the league is definitely pushing an agenda(but hey we benefited from “the Yao agenda” to facilitate growing market share in China so there is that), etc….but even if you are right about all of those things, Wemby could still end up being an “all timer” and those guys generally lead title teams - it’s just how it works when you are THAT good at basketball.

Dude is averaging 21/10/4/and 4 blocks as a rookie while shooting 32% from 3 and over 50% from two and does things that are unguardable like step back 3s with a smooth handle for his size. His ceiling is way higher than any prospect since Lebron and he is drastically outperforming even rookie Lebron. Give the guy his flowers and stop being petty.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And lo behold, because I do not want another dude to succeed that is sour grapes?

Why should I go on about a Spurs player in the first place? Seems weird on a rival forum.

This is supposed to be hoping that that there would be other forces of players that can actually slow him down........ like our own Alperen Sengün.....

It might be a wrong take but where are the sour grapes.....the odds of picking at Number 1 was limited and not automatic to begin with.

#80 daywalker02, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024