1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Espada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Yordan The Great

Do you know the lottery numbers?

I'll hang up and listen.

2. RussE

RussE Member

With Framber down, now I just feel sorry for Joe.

3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

5. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Also does Espada have the ability or chops to challenge decisions from the FO?

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

100 ****ing percent accurate.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Espada bought himself til June…lol. :)o_O:rolleyes::p.

Seriously, the team showed signs of life the last 2 games.

8. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of misconceptions in this thread.

First - Espada isn't Stephen Silas. He has worked his way up the chain from the lowest levels of baseball and there was no nepotism involved. Espada was a nobody, who was given a chance to be an hitting coach at the lowest levels. He worked his way up the Marlins (I think) system and then the Yankees were interested in him, and he worked for the Yankees for 3-4 years and was promoted to third base coach - and now the Astros where he survived multiple regimes and is the manager. I don't know how successful he will ultimately end up being, but I do know that he is not some sort of inside joke in the game like Stephen Silas.

Radricky, Jose Cuervo, IBTL and 4 others like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Plus Silas was managing a bunch of literal kids. Makes total sense to bring in somebody with more authority/gravitas like Udoka who clearly got more out of the young ones but also can relate to veterans.

Espada may be more equivalent to a Brad Mills type… but of course Brad Mills was gifted with one of the worst eras of the modern day Astros: no farm system, overpaid veterans, stuck in limbo on whether they were trying to win or trying to rebuild and then got caught up in the regime change where you knew Crane/Luhnow were going to bring in their own choices.

Worst comes to worst, if it eventually doesn’t work out, he’ll go back to being a bench coach like Mills did…. But he’s been here long enough to know the veterans well, know some of the front office guys, knows Crane, knows the analytics dept…. So that familiarity should carry him a long way and this veteran team doesn’t need him to teach/mentor/coddle.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What this team needs is someone to make lineup and in game decisions who communicates and works well with the front office and analytics department. I think Espada checks all those boxes.

So far, continued to move Abreu down in the order and has given him days off.

I have liked the things he has said about fundamentals and base running.

He has used McCormick and Diaz more often, like their history and projections show they should be.

His bullpen and a few times the rotation have let him down but no manager knows what/when to make most pitching moves until further in the season after trends have become obvious.

One thing: I don't like how he is starting to bench Meyers and play Dubon more and more, and I don't understand it, especially vs a LHSP and w/ Javier (fly ball pitcher) on the mound after he was benched vs a LHSP yesterday. Meyers has played well.

So far I think Espada is just fine

#150 IdStrosfan, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    Radricky and IBTL like this.
  11. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

12. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

This thread really doesn't need a bump after every loss. It's like you get off on us losing.

Houstunna likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

Espada was really like
    **** yo feelings :)

Houstunna likes this.
  16. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Lmao he’s a guy who does not know how to handle a bullpen, damn right it needs a bump.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Dusty would have pulled Christian long before he gave up one run let alone three runs. It had to be said. Sorry. lol. Know your players habits! Christian fizzles late!
    [​IMG]

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

somehow doesn't get bumped after he "handles" a bullpen against a very formidable lineup for 8.2 scoreless innings...

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Manager compliments seem to go as the team record goes.

20. Elienator

Elienator Member

If people want to talk about Espada as a manager, shouldn’t the comparison be to who else the Astros could have hired?

Dusty isn’t with the Astros and was gone either way, so it doesn’t really matter if he would have been better or worse than Espada to this point.