1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Every Eclipse Makes Me Think Of Mel Gibson Directing Apocalypto.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Apr 8, 2024.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Top ten must see on my list. I wrote off Gibson as a director after Passion Of Christ, which I never saw, because I thought the criticism of the brutality because Gibson was trying trying to legitimize as director a director, then I saw Apocalypto.

Gibson received praise for its accuracy on its depiction of the ancient Ancient Mayan civilization. It revolves around their human sacrifices. All the actors are of Mayan decent.

Uprising, FrontRunner and Ziggy like this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I wanted to chop somebody's head off and roll it down steps, too, but I don't think it would go down too well.
    [​IMG]

Blatz, studogg and Xerobull like this.
  3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Gibson is somehow under rated as a director. Dude might be crazy but an amazing actor and director.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

[​IMG]
    like whoa dude. someone was eclipsing and typing at the same time

pgabriel likes this.
  5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

The last movie of his that I watched was the one where he played Santa. The movie was pretty much crap except for one scene, which I would bet money he directed himself.

Here it is, FWIW...

6. Buck Turgidson

Dragged Across Concrete is a solid movie, same writer/director as Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99

pgabriel likes this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Underrated movie. I remember seeing this at Alamo Drafthouse back in the day and thoroughly enjoying it.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i always thought it should've been a trilogy

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry bro, I don't post a lot in this forum. Unfortunately D&D regulars know how bad I am at not proofreading. It's embarrassing because it's just lazy

Nook likes this.
  10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The part at the end of "Apocalypto" where the Spanish Conquistadors (or whomever the hell) were coming ashore and the tribal married couple with new baby were like "(passing glance) we're getting the f outta here (after what we just went through)!". The moment they were walking and then the camera shows the 3 ships parked offshore with them coming ashore in dingies. That epic moment is in my top ten for great experiences watching film. One can only wonder what that would have been like for real back in the day. Got to give Mel credit for that shot!

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i remember reading an article when that movie came out talking about how the eclipse scene was BS because mesoamerica had the most advanced calendar and they would have known exactly when the eclipse was going to happen. they would have been the last people to be surprised by it.

also, eclipses are a jewish conspiracy.

pgabriel and studogg like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That movie pairs well with tequila and the song Cortez the Killer, performed by EITHER - Neil Young or Built to Spill.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's among the most interesting events in recorded history to me. Like aliens making contact.

14. MadMax

Mix in People of the Sun by RATM

Ziggy likes this.
  15. MadMax

pretty well documented historically that eclipses were feared big time by the Mexica. The Mayans had advanced calendars, but there's nothing to suggest the Mexica did....and what we see of their historical record in the years where we know those events occurred. These events were surprises to them from all we can tell...and they viewed them with horror

pgabriel likes this.
  16. jo mama

yes, they feared them, but they were advanced enough to know when they were coming. its been years since i read that article, but i think the point they were making was that the eclipse would not have caught them off-guard as it did in the movie. i remember at the time thinking how funny it was that that was what they were nit-picking about.

me too. the conquest is my 2nd favorite historical subject to read about after texas history. i wish they would make an epic movie or 10 part HBO series or something about it. mel gibson would actually be the perfect director for it, but he has too much baggage. maybe guillermo del toro?

17. MadMax

1. I've read a lot on the Mexica...everything I've ever read said they didn't have advanced calendars and they didn't keep up with planets, eclipses, etc. I wasn't there though, so I could be wrong.

2. That would be incredible!!!

jo mama likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

a man of taste

Ziggy likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The Rust-Live version of Cortez The Killer is best!

20. jo mama

i just did some quick google searching and youre right. seems like they thought eclipses happened randomly. its weird because earlier societies in mexico were really advanced astronomers so you would think that the aztecs would have that knowledge too.

i often think about all the thousands of years of knowledge that the spanish destroyed during and after the conquest. really deprived humanity of so much history.

have you heard of this online graphic novel about the conquest? its really cool, but theyre taking forever to tell the story. its months between each new episode.
    https://www.bigredhair.com/books/aztec-empire/about/

Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.