1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. raining threes

I wonder how many guys in the NFL have gotten DWIs or been arrested? 20-30% ?

2. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is just that. For his partying to come up in team interviews it had to be a known issue. He says he is past all the partying then immediately goes out and gets a DUI. Do you take the risk in the 2nd round that the DUI will shake him up? Or do you seriously wonder if millions of dollars will make him worse. It is a decision above my pay grade.

deb4rockets and raining threes like this.
  3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Agreed. Elite translatable skills to the NFL.
    Yes, they still need to put it together at the next level but skills wont stop them.

#2603 Sooty, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. raining threes

If they like him they should pick him and get him a driver.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he's a guy who can't control it, or gets worse, like Johnny Manziel it would be a terrible pick.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

3 out of 13, well he hits better than Maldonado!

Salvy, houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Housport

Housport Member

Sweat reminds me of the Louis Nix III pick from the 2014 draft. Nix was regarded as one of the best interior DT from Notre Dame that was considered a first round prospect. Nix dropped to the top of the third round where the Texans traded up to select him. It seems that teams backed away from Nix because they found out he had motivation issues. Nix never lived up to his talent and was a complete disaster at training camp. In the preseason games, Nix was the worst player on the field and was tossed around by the third and 4th stringers.

Sooty and deb4rockets like this.
  8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Manziel is a particularly unique piece of work. And while I do not condone drunk driving I just have to say: OMG, T’VONDRE IS A COLLEGE STUDENT, THEY DRINK ALCOHOL AND DO STUPID ISH? WHO KNEW?

raining threes likes this.
  9. raining threes

What about Sweat's play reminds you of Nix?

Last year Sweat was the guy doing the throwing around, not the guy being thrown around.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Wild considering this is the guy that had Stroud as the only QB with a first round grade last year. He’s been pretty spot on with his QB analysis over the years… for the most part. Unlike a Mel kiper type click bait guy.

11. Housport

Housport Member

I understand when you said college students drink and can do crazy ish stuff. Yes they do.
    In this instance, the University of Texas and alumni are paying him a generous amount of money to play ball at UT. So we know that Sweat can afford to hire a driver for when he drinks.
    2nd point is, Does anybody realize how much alcohol it takes for a 360 pound man to be considered under the influence? I don't but I know that's a lot of Tequila right there.
    The third point is that Sweat was warned by his agent and school not to do any crazy ish stuff before the draft. The arrest was less than 3 weeks away from the draft. Sweat did anyways.
    Last point is that your weeks away from being hired by a team and paid millions of dollars. Any screw up before the draft can cost you a lot of money. A potential drop in the draft will change the terms and amount of your contract.
    Being arrested before the draft shows a lack of intelligence, commitment, and motivation.

Before the draft, you don't do crazy ish stuff. You don't ride motorcycles 120 mph on the freeway doing tricks, you don't step in a bullfight arena to take on a rampaging bull, you don't marry your cousin, and definitely don't get arrested.

Sooty, Qan, GOATuve and 3 others like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

There must have been more to it to raise concerns in the first place though. I don't know anything about the reasons it was brought up before, or why some said his work ethic wasn't that good. Like you said, lots of athletes drink in college, and probably many other first round projections drink, so what was it about him that raised those concerns to begin with, before his possible DUI?

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL. Wasn't expecting that.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He really has a terrible track record

Sooty, Qan and raining threes like this.
  15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

He is from Huntsville...

raining threes and sydmill like this.
  16. Qan

Qan Member

Most of his takes are as terrible as any others. These guys miss more than they hit, but they sure like to hang on to the rare times they hit and people always have that on their mind first.

Sooty, raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Harlem

Harlem Member

That's supposed to be TQ if he can stay healthy but yes one more TE, WR, and RB are needs. I just don't think they are bigger needs than what I listed

18. Harlem

Harlem Member

Also amid all this DT talk, how do people feel about Darius Robinson? He played 3 yrs at DT for Mizzou then switched to DE this past year. Has position versatility similar to Autry and can be what Demeco had in the past with Armstead.

Size Comparison:

Autry: 6'5 285
    Armstead: 6'7 290
    Buckner: 6'7 295
    Robinson: 6'5 296

19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Especially in Austin, highest rate of DWI in the country

raining threes likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member