1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He has to pass the ball security test for that. Definitely sprinkle it in throughout the game and see how where he's at.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It was towards the end of the season but they were absolutely meaningful games in a full on march towards a potential play in spot. Jalen didn’t just play like end of season rookie and sophomore Jalen, He was on a completely different level. An all nba level.

Previously, he tended to play better late but it was still awful losing basketball. This is different. I have absolutely no idea what the long term Jalen looks like but I don’t think the best indicator of what he looks like in the future is what he did as a rookie and a sophomore. I mean did we draft him to be a finished product at 19? Now at 22? He made clear improvements this season which culminated in by far his best stretch of his career. Maybe it’s nothing or maybe it’s the jump we expect. The skills are obviously there, We’ll see.

3. jogo

jogo Member

Has Jalen Green really gotten multiple women pregnant?

https://brobible.com/sports/article/houston-rockets-jalen-green-baby-mamas-jalen-green/

Multiple Women Claim To Have Children With Rockets Star Jalen Green After Draya Pregnancy Announcement

This could be total BS I don't know. The site "brobible" I had never heard of. If it's fake then disregard. If it's real, then that's a problem. The site suggests two babies by two other women.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so I feel similarly but I also struggle with the RFA piece and am curious if others see it similarly. If you aren’t sold on a player so you let them hit RFA, aren’t you basically put in a tough position of having to match a free market that’s likely overpaying or lose the player for nothing? Or is it about playing chicken with the league betting no one is gonna make an RFA offer and then you have leverage for a team-friendly extension or trade?

theDude likes this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Appears brobible.com might be in need of better writers/editors…

harold bingo, fchowd0311 and Aruba77 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

This is a major blow the institutional journalistic credibility of Brobible.

Roomba and Mathloom like this.
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’m not saying that this year 3 stretch isn’t the best we have seen from him so far but I’m not so sure it’s fair to say the previous two years hot streaks were “awful, losing basketball”. I think the team was just so damn bad it didn’t matter how well Jalen was playing we still mostly lost. Especially the end of his rookie year.

Last 9 games of year 1:

28/4/2 on 49/43/77 splits 62.5 TS%

That’s really, really good.

harold bingo, fchowd0311 and BigM like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Eh. Keep in mind this was without the Rockets established best player.

Also keep in mind that during March the Rockets had a net pt differential per game of around -6 pts when Green was on the bench resting and he was he only rotation player that had a negative pt differential per game during that stretch when they were testing on the bench.

I mean Green just being in the court during March turned a bad team(-6 pt differential per game) into a great team for one month.

And it makes sense why. For the first time in Green's career the players on the bench who replace him played worse defense than him while also have none of the scoring gravity as him. Usually whoever replaced him before was a better defender. Notice that Ime no longer does the thing where he benches green for single defensive possessions at the end of games where he has to call a timeout to get him back on offense.

He had to against the Mavs but that was because he had 5 fouls and you don't want a dude with 5 fouls on the last defensive possession of a tight game

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sorry I didn’t phrase that correctly, I meant that to be attributed to the team as a whole.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dude is 22?

I don't know about you but when I was 22 .... the list of potential baby momma's was very long cause I
    was layin the pipe to a whole lotta them.

Maybe some of you f****rs are jelly of him .... I aint. Have fun while you can Jalen, just don't catch that tragic.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Again. I’m not debating this is overall the best we have seen, but I think it’s underselling how good he was in his other hot streaks to say he was still playing awful losing basketball.

Jalen Year 1
    Rockets Net Rating for the season : -8.3
    Jalens Net rating for the season : -11.3
    Jalens Net Rating last 9 games: +2.8

He was really damn good to end year 1. Year 2 wasn’t quite as strong.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

I am fine with keeping him now to see how he looks to start next season but I wonder what the recent hot streak did for his trade value? It may never be higher than it will be this offseason.

jim1961 likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It also may never be this low again.

cml750 and Believe It! like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's the challenge with this guy...

15. Ancient Moabite

Nah just in his lil bubble world of fantasy bball, not really a big deal when comparing micro to macro

Thing is as I mention over n over, is they are not comparing Green fairly to others like Kobe/A Harrington/TMac/J O'Neal/KG/Ellis and others not named Amare/Bron

They would be shocked at the end of their third seasons

The NBA is entertainment so they love the flash, that had to be a reason why they merged with the flashier Dr J led ABA

Highlight reel dunks(crossovers etc) are equal to homeruns in baseball, that's why most attend the games

All I know is I see a lite Gasol/Kobe duo brewing, and I know for a fact they can both get 30 each in a game

You keep that duo together at least through their rook deals and reevaluate from there

Yeah you go Guard route for most part, unless you got the GOAT big man list to choose from then it may get muddy

Just imagine if Alpi had Drob(or T Chambers/Amare) athletic ability and 7ft frame, he would be daddy Sr Sabonis on roids, because this version of Alpi will still posterize you or at least try to

Whatever the Rockets do i'll roll with it, it is what it be

What both players do can win games, they can take turns taking over each half as they have showcased

Its always good to have low block hub and perimeter hub when building a team from scratch

But I would imagine if this summer Luka&Jokic said they wanted to team up in Houston, then they are both gone as they would headline each separate deal

But I feel going forward JG4 will be Booker/Mitchell more so than his first two season version

TBD

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

per basketball-reference.com

Jalen Green (23/24):
    2PM...2PA....2P%....3PM....3PA......3P%......FGM.....FGA........FG%
    4.5.......9.0..... .499.......2.4.......7.3....... .333.....6.9........16.3........ .425
    7.8......13.8.... .567...,...0.5.......1.8....... .297.....8.4........15.6....... .537
    2PM....2PA....2P%....3PM.....3PA.....3P%......FGM.....FGA........FG%
    Sengun (23/24)

So if Sengun shot more 3's comparable to Jalen Green to FG ATTEMPTS
    It would look like this:

Sengun: (23/24): if Sengun shot his avg 3P% to FG attempts (comparable to Green)
    2PM....2PA....2P%.....3PM......3PA......3P%......FGM......FGA......FG%
    5.1.........9.0..... .566.......2.0..…..7.0...... .290........7.1.........16.0...... .444

So yeah Centers have their role and guards have theirs; but I don't get caught up in
    the FG%'s. I want Jalen to take a bunch of 3's in his first 3 years so he can get better.
    I don't know if Sengun will ever get better at 3 if he chooses not to shoot them.

Centers tend to have higher FG% because they get much of their points near the rim; where
    FG% tends to be higher.... especially when guards drive and centers often get the rebound
    for put backs. Defense gets out of position as guards/forwards drive.

I accused Terrence Jones for not taking more 3's to protect his average.... Sengun
    does the same. Much like not heaving a last second long range shot.....to protect the average.

#176 ApacheWarrior, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And here people claim Jalen can't finish......

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, we’ve all been saying that Jalen’s gotten better at finishing.

I suppose we’re watching the results now :p

Pistol Pete likes this.
  19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

If he plays like he did in March and becomes consistent, then you pay him, if not I do not think other teams are looking to steal him away by throwing him a max deal in RFA. I think we are valuing Jalen more than any other team. There was no chatter about in bound calls on Jalen prior to deadline, I think something would have leaked. Jeremy Lin had a good streak too, teams were not throwing him a max deal over it as a FA. Jalen is not Lin, but i think there is limited value in having a good month of basketball. He didn't even get player of the month for it. Wish we had signed Kyrie when he was available.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I would like to see Jalen with the ball more in his hands. If Udoka sees him fit at point so be it. In hindsight the Rockets may have misstepped in investing too much into KPJ at the point in the first 2 seasons.

We have seen Jalen grown since last year in his playmaking/facilitating abilities. But SGA was given the reigns at point in 20-21 after being primarily a SG. Either way as a point or 2 guard I think the ball needs to be in his hands with less FVV.

He also needs to have a change of speed move to his bag like a stop on the drive floater. He has worked on deceleration this past year so I expect him to improve. He is growing and developing and I am excited to see what he can do next year with this team.

BaselineFade likes this.