1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. invocux

invocux Member

I think average fan is hardwired to like inefficient, flashy players over efficient less flashy players. Because average fan is an idiot. It's the same in football. There are people actually think that Quaresma was more talented than Ronaldo. Trivela's basketball equivalent is dunks so it's the same. He has 46 inch vertical and can dunk the **** out of it he is good. You know a player is a bum when the first thing they bring up is his vertical and that he can go to the ft line!!! Well he won't in playoffs because refs will not let him. They hardly call those fouls in regular seasons. Like these are the least important things that a shooting guard can have in his bag in 2024. So i don't think they are brainwashed because nobody gives a **** about changing their opinions on anything. They can't help themselves. It's the same **** with Amen. He's a generational athlete so build around him. He can't shoot and his handles are looser than Lisa Ann's p***y though but let's ignore those nuances. I need a button to erase these ppl from earth.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Kinda hoping we sit Fred these last 4 games and let Jalen get as many reps as possible as the primary creator. Use these games to experiment as much as possible.

harold bingo and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup. With no safety blankets like Holiday. Force Green to be the best ball handler on the court to see what he can do as the PG. At this point it's fine experimenting.

Green is passing my eye test in terms of ball security as a primary ball handler. His turnovers as of recent aren't from poor handles but lazy passes out of doubles.

4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Tough evaluation at moment given the flashes of brilliance, especially the March run even with all the caveats, with a mostly mediocre to bad track record.

-No extension. If he'd agree to something like the KPJ deal where the annual salary is pretty high but not much is guaranteed or the original Steph extension balancing lots of upside with very valid risks then I'd do that. But there's almost no way he's going to agree to something like that.

-I'd also definitely trade him as the centerpiece in a package to get a B level star in his mid twenties like Markannen or Bridges if we've got a wink/wink on an extension or there's at least a couple of years of team control. I doubt that trade will be there, though.

So basically just echoing what most have said. See what he does next season and pay him big in RFA if he earns it and move on if he doesn't.

#144 ChillyPete32, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    Y2JT, Strawberry Gum and theDude like this.
  5. Ancient Moabite

Are you telling me that there are no so called flashy efficient players?

If you can ball you can ball

And athletic ability is very important because as they constantly repeat, you are playing in professional sport that has the best ''Athletes in the World''

But I would imagine you prefer Koncak/B Reeves over Dream/Wilt etc. because they are too flashy/athletic

Who would you have drafted with those lotto picks that Stone selected?

You seem to have been his perfect mind for how a team should operate, that only works on your marvel dimension

Every player has flaws, no matter how athletic ( or non) or how high their magnanimous IQ/shooting ability

They all have weaknesses & strengths, and it comes down to how you mesh the pieces together and get full ability out of that player

Its why you want players who have both combined athletic ability with the skillset to match, and those are usually the most dominant day 1, some blossom later to that level

Dobbizzle and Rocketeer like this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

He's bought more time (again). The only thing he has proven is that he is hard to evaluate.

cml750 likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Inefficiency has been a recurring issue with Jalen, but Amen has above-average offensive efficiency numbers. If efficiency is your argument, you're off-base about him.

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Imagine ranting this hard, and basically saying "the Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant archetype never works. Why can't people see it?!" I guess if you just wrote it in plain English people would just tear you apart for it though, so fair enough, I guess. o_O

9. Nook

Nook Member

Define relatively well on a consistent basis next year.

If he drops 25/5/4 next year, he is getting the max from the Rockets or someone else. He isn't getting a "prove it" deal from anyone if plays better than he did this season.

Ancient Moabite and Dobbizzle like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed - but I will go out on a limb and say that he is shooting better next season from 3 or he isn't in the discussion for the max. He has one year left to be more consistent as a player and shooter...

jim1961 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The good thing about futebol is that you can call everyone a star and people would not be offended.....

so many positions and so many minor minor starlets.

There is no salary cap just the fiscal accounts of whatever money the sponsors and owners have.....

[​IMG]

#151 daywalker02, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    invocux likes this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Dude's deluded, and now Jalen's had a run of being by far the most star-like looking player on the team he's trying to use style-points as if it makes him an authority (he loves to use that tone of superiority, I've noticed.) Somebody should point out that whilst Sengun at his peak so far has looked like a lesser version of Jokic. Jalen's peak superstar flashes look like actual Kobe, not a lesser version. I love me some Jokic, but I'm taking a Kobe/Michael type player over him every single day of the week.

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he’s needed to facilitate a trade for a star, I will be fine with using him that way. An extension would need to be extremely team friendly. Otherwise, just let him ride to RFA and see what happens in between. I’m pretty meh, but I know I wouldn’t be happy with a max extension.

ChillyPete32, Aruba77 and Plowman like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

we are here

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's had previous seasons of leading the entire NBA in on/off impact for a 15 game stretch?

BigM and Dobbizzle like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

To be fair, "People who disagree with my questionable sports take should be killed" is a pretty insane take of its own.

17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's just overcompensating. You'll notice he often references soccer/football, that's because 2 and 3/4 years of NBA fandom only gives you so much ammo to reference. ;)

topfive likes this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

He is easy to evalute until March begins then he plays out of his mind and screws up the prior evaluations. If he follows pattern next year I say its time to get of the oller coaster at the trade deadline. Hopefully this is the start of more consistency. I do not expect him to play the level he did in March all season but his lows should be no less than 50% of his highs. As it is his lows were off the bottom of the chart for most of the season.

T for 3 likes this.
  19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think Amen should be getting reps as primary point to see where he is at. Is is the one drafted as a PG and expected to take over once FVV is gone

Y2JT and BaselineFade like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Why Am I like that?

The better question is why is Jalen Green so wildly inconsistent.

There's the really good Jalen and the Jalen who contributes nothing to winning.

You guys pointing to 8 good games in a 10 game stretch at the ass end of the season meaning he's turned the proverbial corner is ... a fools' parade.

We have 3 years of data. If we don't see a massive improvement in efficiency next season - he that 3 years of data is what we have to go by.

jim1961 likes this.