1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What a clown. I'd still draft him just not in the 2nd round.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

First off, complete idiotic decision by Sweat to get behind the wheel, plain stupid and he’ll drop some as he should. That being said, Caserio just traded for a dude that fractured four bones in a girls face and made Tunsil the highest paid OL in NFL history. I like Lance Z but to say he’s off the board is a bit much. Different level of prospect but Jalen Carter didn’t even drop 10 spots.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You never know, but I honestly see a guy like Fiske fitting DeMeco's ideal type more. He seems to like the guys built more like JJ Watt. Not sure he'd want the heaviest guy out there or not.

7. raining threes

I would add blocking TE that can run routes to your list.

jch1911 likes this.
  8. raining threes

Ryans disagrees with you.

9. raining threes

Has anybody on this MB heard of the three martini lunch?

10. raining threes

Quoted for truth.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Maybe. I don't know what he's looking for now. If you're correct, then he changed his views of his ideal player. I was referring to an article I read in the past. The types he mentioned didn't fit the body type or character of a guy like Sweat on defense.

Off the field, team sources say Sweat is a good kid overall, but has some issues with a poor work ethic and likes to party. *Update DUI*

Sweat is going to have to work much harder in the NFL and definitely will have to keep his weight in check. If he can do that, then he could be awesome. If he could drop some weight and clean up his act, work his butt off staying fit, then he'll soar. Most importantly, the jerk needs to stop drinking and driving before he kills some innocent family on the road.

#2551 deb4rockets, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  12. raining threes

I was talking about Okudah and Henderson.

Should be interesting seeing where Sweat is drafted. Agreed about Ryans liking smaller quicker DL. I could see Hall from Ohio St. being the pick at 59. Possibly even 42.

Sooty, Qan and deb4rockets like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Odukah and Henderson aren't top cornerbacks in the league. That's what I wish for on our team. I'm skeptical from looking at their past few years that they will all of a sudden become top tier cornerbacks. Granted, anything's possible, but I just don't see how those two guys are going to give us a top level ranked secondary. We were 19th last year. That's why I'm hoping for our first pick to be a CB, if there's a really good prospect available. The longer we wait to pick one the odds of that player being our next young star on secondary will dwindle.

#2553 deb4rockets, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

For lonely, white, suburban housewives. Not dudes.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Sweat is clearly a complete idiot, but no way in hell I'm letting him out of the top 100.

I'll still be shocked if he falls even that far. One of the 3-4 teams is gonna pick him or trade up to get him if he falls out of round 2.

raining threes likes this.
  16. raining threes

We will see.

I'm happy with the weight Sweat played at last year. He was dominant. I'm not against drafting a CB in the first rd. But unless they can stop the run, particularly since the Ravens got Henry and get guys that can cover the TE like Kelce, having the best CB duo in the league won't matter. In fact I would say the S play was the biggest issue with the secondary last year. Plus as of right now the Texans have better CB's than the Ravens or Chiefs. IMHO.

Just my two cents.

#2556 raining threes, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    jch1911 likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/5394632/2024/04/08/nfl-mock-draft-2024-quarterbacks-drake-maye/

42. Houston Texans (from MIN): Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State

The Texans have done an outstanding job bringing in young talent the last two years, and they just added Diggs. The present and future looks pretty bright for Houston, which could add a hard-charging and uber-athletic interior rusher here.

59. Houston Texas: Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame
    86. Houston Texans (from PHI): Mason McCormick, OL, South Dakota State

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Ryans is betting big on those guys' leftover upside. Both were top 10 overall draft picks a few years ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-plan-cj-henderson-jeff-okudah

Ryans' big goal is to limit explosive plays. If he can coach up at least one of the two to help contain those, its a win.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I was hoping the players we got in FA would have improved that issue with our rush defense, but whatever it takes I'm for it. I want a defense that terrorizes our opponents, and forces turnovers or tackles for a loss. That will be fun to watch, and I'm glad we have a defensive minded coach. I trust his judgement, especially since he played defense himself.

These next couple years are our best shot at that title, while Anderson and Stroud are still on rookie contracts. So, I just hope we draft really well the next couple years, and snag the guys who can step up into those starting roles down the road. For that reason I hope we don't give up any more draft picks to trade up again. We need quality depth at just about every position, and that includes WR, RB, and OL as well.

A_3PO and ROCKSS like this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It's no guarantee they will step it up to top tier after 4 years in the NFL, but there is a lot to be said about the potential of first round draft picks. That, and the fact that they have a year or two to reach the average peak of a CB, which is 26 or 27. With great coaching it's possible. Nothing would make me happier. These next two years are our prime time to go for a title.

This is an old article, but it's interesting.
    First-Rounders Dominate the Ranks of NFL All-Pro Selections

Some positions are better than others but, over the past decade, 60 percent of Associated Press All-Pro selections were former first-rounders. Or, if you’re a first-rounder, you’re almost five times more likely to be an All-Pro offensive or defensive player (we’re not counting special teams selections here) than if you weren’t picked in the first round. At least over the past decade.

https://www.rockmnation.com/2019/2/...-dominate-the-ranks-of-nfl-all-pro-selections

ROCKSS likes this.